The Student Room Group

Student finance & my current status

Hello,

I'm don't usually go on this site but I hope to receive answers and opinions from you and I will try my best to explain my situation to you so please bear with me.

I am currently in year 13 ( second year of college) and have applied, received, and accepted my offers from the university. The University of Sheffield (firm choice) has also identified me as 'Home' student for fee purpose and I am now on the step of applying for my finance. I am not British (yet) and would have lived in the UK for 3 years by the start of my course in September this year. However, my step-dad is British and he brought me to the UK from Vietnam in 2016 and we have received our biometric residence permit and after another 2.5 years, I could apply for my British passport. The question is will I be eligible to apply for student finance base on my circumstance?

According to the gov.uk website, they quoted that:

Your nationality or residency status
You can apply if all of the following apply:

a). You’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
b). You normally live in England
c).You’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

I know I qualify for the last 2 but not so sure about the first.
Original post by sonto186
Hello,

I'm don't usually go on this site but I hope to receive answers and opinions from you and I will try my best to explain my situation to you so please bear with me.

I am currently in year 13 ( second year of college) and have applied, received, and accepted my offers from the university. The University of Sheffield (firm choice) has also identified me as 'Home' student for fee purpose and I am now on the step of applying for my finance. I am not British (yet) and would have lived in the UK for 3 years by the start of my course in September this year. However, my step-dad is British and he brought me to the UK from Vietnam in 2016 and we have received our biometric residence permit and after another 2.5 years, I could apply for my British passport. The question is will I be eligible to apply for student finance base on my circumstance?

According to the gov.uk website, they quoted that:

Your nationality or residency status
You can apply if all of the following apply:

a). You’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
b). You normally live in England
c).You’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

I know I qualify for the last 2 but not so sure about the first.

Hello,

On your Bio-metric Residency Permit, what status do you hold in the UK?

Thanks, Duncan
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan SFE
Hello,

On your Bio-metric Residency Permit, what status do you hold in the UK?

Thanks, Duncan

It state
Type of permit: Dependant leave to remain
Remarks: Work permitted
It state
Type of permit: Dependant leave to remain
Remarks: Work permitted

Hello,

In order for you to be eligible for finance as a home student, you would need to hold Indefinite Leave to Remain status (ILR). Based on your current status, you would need to have lived in the UK for half your life or at least 20 years before first day of first academic year of your course.

If you didn't want to wait until you have ILR, you could potentially apply as an EU student for a Tuition Fee Loan only as an EU family member.

Thanks, Duncan
Reply 4
Hello,

In order for you to be eligible for finance as a home student, you would need to hold Indefinite Leave to Remain status (ILR). Based on your current status, you would need to have lived in the UK for half your life or at least 20 years before first day of first academic year of your course.

If you didn't want to wait until you have ILR, you could potentially apply as an EU student for a Tuition Fee Loan only as an EU family member.

Thanks, Duncan

Although my step-father is British and a biometric residence permit, will it be possible to apply for Tuition Fee Loan given that I still have a Vietnamese passport
Although my step-father is British and a biometric residence permit, will it be possible to apply for Tuition Fee Loan given that I still have a Vietnamese passport

As long as you can prove to us that your step dad is a UK national, you'd potentially be eligible to apply as the step child of an EU national.

You would need to provide this following evidence to us;
- Your original passport
- Your original birth certificate
- Your mum and steps dads marriage certificate
- Your step dad's original passport

Thanks, Duncan
Reply 6
As long as you can prove to us that your step dad is a UK national, you'd potentially be eligible to apply as the step child of an EU national.

You would need to provide this following evidence to us;
- Your original passport
- Your original birth certificate
- Your mum and steps dads marriage certificate
- Your step dad's original passport

Thanks, Duncan

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but how could I apply as a child of an EU national when my step-dad is a UK citizen. I assume he is not an EU citizen but a British citizen instead. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hi there,

Sorry for the delay - British Nationals are also EU Nationals, so this is certainly an option for you.

Warm regards,
Graeme
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but how could I apply as a child of an EU national when my step-dad is a UK citizen. I assume he is not an EU citizen but a British citizen instead. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending