The Student Room Group

Can Boys and Girls be JUST friends?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by byeongkwans
However I had another close male friend who was the opposite, he was a really really good, genuine friend. There was underlying attraction and some mixed signals there but I wouldnā€™t want to date him tbh. Some stuff happened and I kinda made it clear that I wouldnā€™t be interested in him romantically and now itā€™s awkward between us too.

Life would be so much easier if you could just maintain friendships without developing deeper feelings for each other at some point.

Sorry, so he wasnt that genuine and the friendship did not last once the attraction become more open. This is how it ALWAYS GOES. I hate when people are like "hes different" "shes different" its never different its just not evolved yet.
I salute you sir. Your sarcasm has not gone unnoticed.
Original post by shellop
lol no it was a joke.
Reply 22
Original post by TSRFT8
An interesting debate I saw and one which is quite relevant in this day and age.

What is your HONEST opinion, can a boy and girl be just friends? What if one is single and the other is in a relationship, or both are in a relationship?

I don't see what's so wrong about being friends with boys. They can be nice they can be funny. We're all human after all. I think it's fair to be friends with boys.
Original post by RG250
I don't see what's so wrong about being friends with boys. They can be nice they can be funny. We're all human after all. I think it's fair to be friends with boys.

No one said it was unfair. I said, it is unrealistic to expect it as the norm as it mostly doesnt work. Countless times I have heard it ruin relationships or the friendships, very rarely do I hear it work simultaneously.
Reply 24
Original post by DrawTheLine
I've been friends with many guys for years and never once thought of them in a romantic way.

ouch lol.
I'd honestly be offended if a girl said that about me

It is actually impossible for me to be friends with a girl and not have at least "wondered.." in that regard

I would say at least 70% of the time I am friends with a girl I would eventually find her sexually attractive [doesn't necessarily mean i want to date her]
Couldn't be platonic if there was attraction. It's a tough situation sometimes because often I may have enjoyed just being friends but if there are feelings creeping in beyond platonic then it can be difficult
Of course. I've a number of close platonic male friends. One of them I tell absolutely everything and we are planning to go on holiday together. Changes in either of our relationship statuses haven't had any influence on our friendship.
Original post by ANM775
ouch lol.
I'd honestly be offended if a girl said that about me

It is actually impossible for me to be friends with a girl and not have at least "wondered.." in that regard

I would say at least 70% of the time I am friends with a girl I would eventually find her sexually attractive [doesn't necessarily mean i want to date her]

I cant agree more. People love to wonder they have not atleast ONCE thought of it. Although, boys are worse than girls in this regard.

Original post by sinfonietta
Of course. I've a number of close platonic male friends. One of them I tell absolutely everything and we are planning to go on holiday together. Changes in either of our relationship statuses haven't had any influence on our friendship.

This is a troll surely? Your girlfriend/boyfriend is fine with you going away on holiday with them? Yeah... sounds legit.
You guys catch feels
Original post by TSRFT8
I cant agree more. People love to wonder they have not atleast ONCE thought of it. Although, boys are worse than girls in this regard.

This is a troll surely? Your girlfriend/boyfriend is fine with you going away on holiday with them? Yeah... sounds legit.
Yes, as long as neither are attracted to each other.
A lot of the time its sexual attraction not attraction as in I would marry her, although that comes too if it marinates long enough.

Realistically the attraction does not even need to be physical for it to develop, you can fall in love with someones personality, the person they are its not always "he does not have blue so I can never be with him" that is ridiculous.
Original post by Scottishflavour
You guys catch feels
Original post by TSRFT8

All of my posts are sincere. I'm bisexual, so by that reasoning I wouldn't be able to go on holiday with any friends at all.
Yea agreed. But you shouldn't have sexual feelings for friends. It doesn't work
The attraction need not be physical though, surely over time you can fall in love with just the person themselves as opposed to how big their lips are or how toned their arms are. It is not realistic to think that over time it will always be innocent or platonic - unless one is gay or both are then of course it is different.
Original post by RazzzBerries
Yes, as long as neither are attracted to each other.
yes, ofc, why not. they can be more than that, they can be just that, whatever, it's not impossible. why does everyone think that nowadays?
It is a little different in this case, I was speaking in terms of two straight individuals.
Original post by sinfonietta
All of my posts are sincere. I'm bisexual, so by that reasoning I wouldn't be able to go on holiday with any friends at all.
If a guy has romantic feelings which aren't reciprocated then has to take a step back from the friendship
Original post by ohdahnnyboi
yes, ofc, why not. they can be more than that, they can be just that, whatever, it's not impossible. why does everyone think that nowadays?
I have yet to know of any friendship between a male and female that has not fizzled out or caused complications after one or both have gotten into a relationship.
Original post by ohdahnnyboi
It's happened to me so often
Original post by TSRFT8
I have yet to know of any friendship between a male and female that has not fizzled out or caused complications after one or both have gotten into a relationship.

i have guy friends who i would never date and vice versa - just yek, no (no offense, but ykwim)

see above :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest