The Student Room Group

Where to apply

Hi I beginning to wonder where I should apply next year for Law as I don’t want to aim too low and just not want to go there but equally I don’t want to end up with barely and offers.
I’m apply for 4LLB courses and Law with anthropology at LSE.
I got 4A* 4A 2B at IGCSE and I have an A* in Epq. I study English lit, History and Economics and my predictions are A*AA but they may be higher. Where should I apply for my LLB courses?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
With those predicted and achieved grades, almost anywhere would be feasible, it really depends where you want to go and what kind of uni experience you want.

Do you want to apply to Oxbridge? Want to live in London? Do you want to be on a campus or in a city? A big city or a smaller one?

There are a lot of factors to consider so if you give some rough ideas about what would suit you, I can give some suggestions.
I would quite like a collegiate uni but I also like the idea of tackling a big city like London. Somewhere like Warwick does not really appeal to me but I’m not sure if I could get offers from the London Unis but with Warwick I think I could get one.
Reply 3
Original post by ArchieHunt
I would quite like a collegiate uni but I also like the idea of tackling a big city like London. Somewhere like Warwick does not really appeal to me but I’m not sure if I could get offers from the London Unis but with Warwick I think I could get one.

Well they’re very different things.

If Warwick doesn’t appeal then don’t apply there, likewise if you want to go to London, go for it.

Why wouldn’t you get an offer? Your predicted grades match the course and as long as you perform well in the LNAT and have a very good personal statement, you stand a chance.

They are difficult to get into, especially with the LNAT and I wouldn’t go for purely London unis unless that’s where you want to be.

If you want the college system, why not Oxbridge?
Yeah I’m not sure if my application would be strong enough but I do think I have picked strong subjects and for my EPQ I have written a Novella. I have really good extracurricular but they aren’t overly interested in that whereas Durham likes them lots and I think I could get an offer from Durham.
I really like the look of Law with anthropology at LSE with AAB minimum requirements do you think I could get an offer form there?
Reply 5
Yeah I’m not sure if my application would be strong enough but I do think I have picked strong subjects and for my EPQ I have written a Novella. I have really good extracurricular but they aren’t overly interested in that whereas Durham likes them lots and I think I could get an offer from Durham.
I really like the look of Law with anthropology at LSE with AAB minimum requirements do you think I could get an offer form there?

I don’t understand why you don’t think it’ll be strong enough you’ve got the predicted grades, an A* in EPQ and so long as you’ve got a strong statement and LNAT score you’d stand a chance.

What is it exactly you want though? Is it to live in London? A big city? Somewhere quieter? Oxbridge? Give some ideas and I can try and suggest some sensible options.

Unsure about the LSE one as never looked into anthropology but imagine you’d have a chance. Also don’t know if Durham likes extracurriculars more than anyone else if I’m honest.
I’m really open minded to be honest I’d line somewhere with a good reputation but in terms of where I live anywhere in the uk is fine.
Reply 7
I’m really open minded to be honest I’d line somewhere with a good reputation but in terms of where I live anywhere in the uk is fine.

That’s not helpful at all as there are so many different types of universities with very good reputations so that doesn’t really help as I could give you a list of the top 30. I’ll make it easier for you, just answer these...

1) Do you want to apply to Oxbridge? If yes, which one?
2) Do you want to live in a big city or somewhere quieter?
3) Do you want to live on a campus or in a city?
I’ll probably apply to Cambridge but not expect anything of it.
I’d prefer to live in a city.
Campus or city is fine but I wouldn’t want a really rural campus with nothing going on.
Reply 9
I’ll probably apply to Cambridge but not expect anything of it.
I’d prefer to live in a city.
Campus or city is fine but I wouldn’t want a really rural campus with nothing going on.

Why shouldn’t you expect anything of it? You’ve got the grades so just make the statement good.

Have Cambridge as one of your choices then.

Do you want to live somewhere quieter (i.e. Durham or Exeter) or somewhere more vibrant (London, Notts, Bristol etc)

And if you don’t want a rural campus with not a lot going on, don’t apply to Warwick.
Effectively, if you’re predicted A*AA, you want around 3 in this range and then 2 at AAA to give you a bit of leeway and a safety option.

You don’t want to apply to 5 LNAT unis just in case it goes awfully as well.

If you want to apply to Cambridge, have that as a choice and then something sensible might be Cambridge, UCL, Bristol, Nottingham and Exeter or something along those lines.
I’d probably prefer somewhere more vibrant with stuff going on.
I’d probably prefer somewhere more vibrant with stuff going on.

If you want somewhere more vibrant, perhaps go for something like this:

Cambridge, UCL, Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds

Does that sound alright? Or along those lines?
Yes I like the sound of all of them l, is Leeds well respected for Law?
Yes I like the sound of all of them l, is Leeds well respected for Law?

It’s a good uni and for a safe option in a vibrant city, you can’t really go wrong.

Don’t get bogged down in reputation too much though and rankings as with a lot of them there isn’t a major difference.

You need a safe, non LNAT uni though for sure and Leeds is a good bet. Exeter I’d say the same for but it’s nowhere near as vibrant, Manchester could also be an option.
Could law and anthropology at LSE a safe at AAB?
Could law and anthropology at LSE a safe at AAB?

I suppose so, not researched it enough to say if I’m honest.

Don’t just apply to it because it’s LSE and lower grades though as still dependent on the LNAT I’d imagine.
tbh i'd recommend researching sh*t about the lnat before making decisions. if you're sh*t at the essay bit, it would be risky apply to e.g. UCL. if you're sh*t at the multiple choice, it would be risky to apply to e.g. LSE or KCL maybe**

** UCL say on their website the essay is significantly more important than the multiple choice. LSE and KCL say the opposite, in fact i dont think LSE reads the essay at all, and equally KCL only read it for borderline applicants.
I do 3 essay subject so I can write a solid essay under time pressure and I’m planning on doing lots of multiple choice practice but I’m not generally speaking bad at multiple choice as an exam type but I’m not amazing. I won’t leave it to chance though I will practise lots to get my scores up.
I do 3 essay subject so I can write a solid essay under time pressure and I’m planning on doing lots of multiple choice practice but I’m not generally speaking bad at multiple choice as an exam type but I’m not amazing. I won’t leave it to chance though I will practise lots to get my scores up.

It’s not just a “multiple choice” thing like you’re used to - it’s very different to anything you’ll have done before.

I think sometimes people overestimate how much practice you need to do as a lot of the practice books are useless. I’d use the practice test simulator online and the Lawyer Portal questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending