The Student Room Group

Can Boys and Girls be JUST friends?

Scroll to see replies

Do the guys fancy you tho?
Original post by ohdahnnyboi
i have guy friends who i would never date and vice versa - just yek, no (no offense, but ykwim)

see above :smile:

C
Took the words right out of my mouth. Bet she never thought the other way round.

Original post by Scottishflavour

C
It is quite literally natural, I find it unbelievable how many people are so far past reality.

Might be I am too old, who knows. :biggrin:

C

i said vice versa - means they wouldn't date me either, there is no attraction, we have such dead(or not) banter, and we've made it clear to each other there is nothing
that's what u think - go ahead :smile: but btw, i did - does no one know what vice versa means?
Original post by TSRFT8
Took the words right out of my mouth. Bet she never thought the other way round.
Well that's different then
Original post by ohdahnnyboi
i said vice versa - means they wouldn't date me either, there is no attraction, we have such dead(or not) banter, and we've made it clear to each other there is nothing
Yes they can be despite being a Muslim and saying this
Of course, obviously, if one or both of the parties are gay
Original post by TSRFT8
An interesting debate I saw and one which is quite relevant in this day and age.

What is your HONEST opinion, can a boy and girl be just friends? What if one is single and the other is in a relationship, or both are in a relationship?
Original post by *Alisha*
Yes they can be despite being a Muslim and saying this

That is really really interesting. The individual whose lecture (if you will) I watched was speaking from the Islamic perspective, as contact is strictly forbidden between non-mahrems (non family men??).

His opinion was very insightful - personally I cant see a male and female being strictly friends, yes maybe for a few months or even a year if they are both single it does make it slightly easier but when one is in a relationship I just think it is far-fetched.

If you dont mind me asking; how would you feel if your husband was messaging his girl best friend, or going out with her? In Islam it is strictly forbidden so I guess we are going beyond the simple social norms and into more strict boundaries which are made to protect the followers.
This is the only situation where this would work. Anything else is just denial at its finest.
Yes
Well that's different then

not really? there was a guy i liked and i told him, and he rejected me, and we're just friends. others we just don't because we don't need to
it's not impossible
i'm not saying that there isn't the potential for something, but not always
I’m not so sure, throughout most of my life the vast majority of my friends have been male and I’ve never been with any of them nor have they expressed attraction to me
Original post by TSRFT8
This is the only situation where this would work. Anything else is just denial at its finest.
Original post by TSRFT8
That is really really interesting. The individual whose lecture (if you will) I watched was speaking from the Islamic perspective, as contact is strictly forbidden between non-mahrems (non family men??).

His opinion was very insightful - personally I cant see a male and female being strictly friends, yes maybe for a few months or even a year if they are both single it does make it slightly easier but when one is in a relationship I just think it is far-fetched.

If you dont mind me asking; how would you feel if your husband was messaging his girl best friend, or going out with her? In Islam it is strictly forbidden so I guess we are going beyond the simple social norms and into more strict boundaries which are made to protect the followers.

Well if he loves me and I love him, there should be trust in our relationship. So I wouldn't mind if he was messaging a girl besides me or even going out with her, but I'd prefer him going out with his other friends and not just the girl alone lol
I get what you are saying - however, usually this attraction is not expressed just due to the boundary of friendship, not because it is non-existent. I implore you to watch the social study, I will link it for you.

It explores how friends of different genders were asked if anything else COULD develop and 97% said yes, IF the option was made available, basically if the other crossed the boundary first then its fair game.
I don't know why being attracted to your friend means that you can't still say, friends. :dontknow: I mean having a relationship doesn't mean your emotions just turn off for everybody else.
Original post by *Alisha*
Well if he loves me and I love him, there should be trust in our relationship. So I wouldn't mind if he was messaging a girl besides me or even going out with her, but I'd prefer him going out with his other friends and not just the girl alone lol

But you trust him? So following that logic, you would trust him in a room alone with this girl?

Trust is HUGELY confused now a days. It is seen as "controlling" if you do not allow your partner out alone with a male or female, co-incidentally so many relationships end because of cheating, so is it really controlling or prevention as opposed to cure.
I would like to also add that most of my male friends have girlfriends, as do I. It is perfectly possible to hang out with the opposite gender in a purely platonic way
Original post by TSRFT8
I get what you are saying - however, usually this attraction is not expressed just due to the boundary of friendship, not because it is non-existent. I implore you to watch the social study, I will link it for you.

It explores how friends of different genders were asked if anything else COULD develop and 97% said yes, IF the option was made available, basically if the other crossed the boundary first then its fair game.
Yeah
Original post by TSRFT8
An interesting debate I saw and one which is quite relevant in this day and age.

What is your HONEST opinion, can a boy and girl be just friends? What if one is single and the other is in a relationship, or both are in a relationship?
Yes.. especially if one is much uglier then the other

Quick Reply

Latest