Most overrated and underrated unis to study law Watch

Villalad2001
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’ve compiled a list of the most overrated and underrated unis on here to study law, feel free to disagree.

This is mainly based on where I see mentioned on here and where I don’t and just the general reputations around here:

Overrated:

EXETER (notice the capitals)
Kings
York
Glasgow
Bristol
Durham

Underrated:

Nottingham
Manchester
Sheffield
Warwick
Leeds
Leicester

If yours wasn’t mentioned here, it’s neither overrated or underrated.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Overrated: Manchester.
Villalad2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Overrated: Manchester.
There’s this one lad who overrates Manchester but he’s clearly an alumnus or current student. Apart from that it doesn’t get a lot of praise.

Rest of the list is generally right wouldn’t you say?
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I wonder what drives people to make threads like these. Is it a belief that posting a list of your own makes your opinions less irrelevant? Is it a belief that others will begin to perceive your university as being more prestigious if you put it in the 'underrated' category? Is it a troll attempt?
Villalad2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
I wonder what drives people to make threads like these. Is it a belief that posting a list of your own makes your opinions less irrelevant? Is it a belief that others will begin to perceive your university as being more prestigious if you put it in the 'underrated' category? Is it a troll attempt?
It’s just a bit of fun based off everything I’ve seen and I’d say there’s a degree of accuracy in there as well — don’t you see how often Exeter comes up as somewhere amazing and how Kings is often put in the same bracket as UCL?

Or conversely how Nottingham is how regarded as just okay and Manchester gets barely any recognition despite being very prestigious, especially internationally?

How can you dispute my list?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
This is the lad who called me and you virgins with firsts from York and Sussex (this thread might have been deleted before you saw it), so I think he might be trolling. How he still has an account is beyond me.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Villalad2001)
It’s just a bit of fun based off everything I’ve seen and I’d say there’s a degree of accuracy in there as well — don’t you see how often Exeter comes up as somewhere amazing and how Kings is often put in the same bracket as UCL?

Or conversely how Nottingham is how regarded as just okay and Manchester gets barely any recognition despite being very prestigious, especially internationally?

How can you dispute my list?
That sounds like some amazing analytical skills you have there. You will go far with an ability to reason like that 👍🏻
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
anonymous1231231
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
any reasons for the names you’ve put? Like why do you think Durham is overrated?
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yet another daft 'My University is Better than Your University' thread.

Yawn.
TensorTympani
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Overrated for any degree: Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard and Yale.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Overrated: The uni that rejected me/ I couldn’t apply to

Underrated: The uni that I am currently studying at
Villalad2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous1231231)
any reasons for the names you’ve put? Like why do you think Durham is overrated?
It gets mentioned a lot on here and people have the audacity to mention Doxbridge.

It’s a very good university but is hyped up to unbelievable levels on here when it’s below the London ones.
Villalad2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Yet another daft 'My University is Better than Your University' thread.

Yawn.
Seeing as I’ve made a list with more than one name, that’s quite a flawed argument don’t you think?
Villalad2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by SuperHuman98)

Again, there’s more than one name on this list for each as you can see so that’s a flawed argument.

Also, you really think I couldn’t get into Exeter and York if I could get into Warwick or Nottingham? Dear lord.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’ve compiled a list of the most overrated and underrated unis on here to study law, feel free to disagree.

This is mainly based on where I see mentioned on here and where I don’t and just the general reputations around here:

Overrated:

EXETER (notice the capitals)
Kings
York
Glasgow
Bristol
Durham

Underrated:

Nottingham
Manchester
Sheffield
Warwick
Leeds
Leicester

If yours wasn’t mentioned here, it’s neither overrated or underrated.
Evidence?
Villalad2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Evidence?
It’s purely opinionated from the things I’ve seen on here, where’s mentioned, not mentioned etc. I don’t need to supply evidence or is there something you disagree with?
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So a better thread title would have been what’s the most overrated/underrated university going by posts of TSR.

How often something is mentioned though, doesn’t give an indication of under or over ratings. It just shows it’s a go to name people like to reference.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by J-SP; 2 months ago
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Again, there’s more than one name on this list for each as you can see so that’s a flawed argument.

Also, you really think I couldn’t get into Exeter and York if I could get into Warwick or Nottingham? Dear lord.
Lol I was just making a joke, it’s not that deep
Villalad2001
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
So a better thread title would have been what’s the most overrated/underrated university going by posts of TSR.

How often something is mentioned though, doesn’t give an indication of under or over ratings. It just shows it’s a go to name people like to reference.
Maybe I should have rephrased then.

A lot are certainly overpraised on here though (mainly Exeter and York), while some don’t seem to get nearly
as much attention as they should.
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)

But the unis I said that are overrated did not reject me and I study at one of them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads