The Student Room Group

Higher Design & Manufacture 2018/19

This thread is about discussion of the coursework, assignment and examination of the Higher 2018/19 course. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone here got a clue what to do for the d and m question paper. We’ve spent so long on the folio, and still got 4 pages to do, that we’ve had barely anytime to do any theoretical work and I’ve no clue what anything means within past papers and specimens.
Thanks
Reply 2
Anyone know how I can learn the theory as the books don’t really give you an awful lot and our teacher has just focused on the folio...
Late reply but is this National 5 or Higher? I find Design and Manufacture quite easy the best thing you can do is keep doing the past paper questions and also get a Leckie Leckie D+M book either Nat 5 or Higher and build your knowledge. Most questions are just using your general knowledge such as the pros and cons of using a particular material. Our class for both years spent so long on the folio as it's the new one and takes an entirety. Use http://www.technologystudent.com/ for information on manufacturing processes, materials etc. Good luck!
This thread is for those sitting the Higher Design & Manufacture course. How is everyone finding it this year? Personally I thought the folio took our class quite a while to complete with the amount of pages required. What brief did you pick? I picked the bike stand for a festival and the need to incorporate the standard component into it.
Reply 5
thank you, it’s at higher, I’m currently working my way through past papers and I’ll see how i do . I also have the book.
Original post by AyrshireStudent
Late reply but is this National 5 or Higher? I find Design and Manufacture quite easy the best thing you can do is keep doing the past paper questions and also get a Leckie Leckie D+M book either Nat 5 or Higher and build your knowledge. Most questions are just using your general knowledge such as the pros and cons of using a particular material. Our class for both years spent so long on the folio as it's the new one and takes an entirety. Use http://www.technologystudent.com/ for information on manufacturing processes, materials etc. Good luck!
No worries, what did you pick for the assignment? I did the bike stand for a festival. I actually ran out of time in finishing my second page of initial ideas but I completed the rest of the other pages. Most questions just come down to common sense. The first question is always going to be a product comparison. For all manufacturing processes just remember the advantages, high detail, complex shapes, very quick, little waste material etc. Good luck!
Original post by Cg0762
thank you, it’s at higher, I’m currently working my way through past papers and I’ll see how i do . I also have the book.
Reply 7
We didn’t get to pick we were all told to do the chair for the festival. We’ve been given good notes on how to attempt question 1. But it’s the second section where it’s very unpredictable as to what might come up.
No worries, what did you pick for the assignment? I did the bike stand for a festival. I actually ran out of time in finishing my second page of initial ideas but I completed the rest of the other pages. Most questions just come down to common sense. The first question is always going to be a product comparison. For all manufacturing processes just remember the advantages, high detail, complex shapes, very quick, little waste material etc. Good luck!

Spoiler

In case anyone's wondering what's happened to the threads, I've merged 3 for Higher Design and Manufacture into one- my fault for missing the first one by Scottish15 off the list of exam threads, so sorry about that! :colondollar:
Reply 9
Hi again,

Does anyone have any notes on intellectual property rights? I noticed it was in the course specification and there hasn’t been a past paper question on it yet. I also couldn’t find anything within the course notes book by Leckie and Leckie.
That's just another term for copyright, trademark and patent. They'll only ask you the benefits of using them.
Original post by Cg0762
Hi again,

Does anyone have any notes on intellectual property rights? I noticed it was in the course specification and there hasn’t been a past paper question on it yet. I also couldn’t find anything within the course notes book by Leckie and Leckie.
Reply 11
That's just another term for copyright, trademark and patent. They'll only ask you the benefits of using them.

Ok, thanks. I’ve noticed in the course specification they have under people who influence the design as, designers, ergonomists, lawyers, production engineers, project manager, market researchers and material technologists. However, in a past paper I noticed a question asked about some of these people plus others e.g. Accountant. Have some been taken out of the course or does the course spec not tell me everything I need to know.
The Leckie Leckie book has stuff on the Design team. The marking scheme/past papers only provide a handful of examples. Others will be accepted.
Ok, thanks. I’ve noticed in the course specification they have under people who influence the design as, designers, ergonomists, lawyers, production engineers, project manager, market researchers and material technologists. However, in a past paper I noticed a question asked about some of these people plus others e.g. Accountant. Have some been taken out of the course or does the course spec not tell me everything I need to know.
Reply 13
How’s everyone feeling considering maths and biology have been extra hard.
Honestly have no idea why all the exams this year have been much harder.
Original post by Cg0762
How’s everyone feeling considering maths and biology have been extra hard.
Hope the exam goes well for you all tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 16
Thanks, I’ll need all the luck I can take. Final exam so I can relax in Italy on Saturday.
Original post by Labrador99
Hope the exam goes well for you all tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 17
Well that was ****
Original post by Cg0762
Well that was ****

Sorry to hear it didn't go so well :s-smilie: At least now they're done! Hope you have a good trip to Italy :smile:
Reply 19
Anyone got the paper so I could make a marking scheme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending