The Student Room Group

Woman avoids jail for 'being a woman'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-47914832

Cue general internet outrage over the blatant sexism?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

*Crickets*
Reply 2
And now both the case and the judge are being reviewed.

It'll change.
Original post by DarthRoar
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-47914832

Cue general internet outrage over the blatant sexism?

I heard about this on Radio 1 this morning - utter ********! Even as a woman, I don't think anyone should be exempt from the law based on gender, like WTactualF. How could this be allowed to happen - she could've killed someone with her drink-driving. This is not okay at all. This doesn't help women, it hinders them even more :confused:
Maybe she meant if Parry were not a victim of domestic abuse previously, and phrased herself rather poorly?
Reply 5
sad but hardly surprising

it's common knowledge that the courts will be most lientient to Caucasian women and most harsh to Black males
Reply 6
women used to frequently receive harsher sentences than males, and whilst i have every sympathy for the trauma and abuse she has suffered in her life; we need to deal with drink drivers much more harshly and especially when they repeat offend.
Nope, I'm not having that. She needs to be given the same treatment as a male. This is only going to allow people to go on the "I hate feminism" rants, even though none of us condone this.
It happens frequently. Just normally the judge isn't stupid enough to say it out loud
Original post by ANM775

it's common knowledge that the courts will be most lientient to Caucasian women and most harsh to Black males

Interesting you mention gender and race but not class.
Class is one of the biggest disparities in sentencing
Jail the judge for stupidity
Original post by RazzzBerries
Nope, I'm not having that. She needs to be given the same treatment as a male. This is only going to allow people to go on the "I hate feminism" rants, even though none of us condone this.

I agree.
Its not even the first time she has done it. She is a repeat offender, which makes it worse.
Original post by ANM775

Is your "common knowledge" based upon personal experience or the experiences of friends who have been through the criminal courts?

I've been going to criminal courts since before I could walk, been at thousands of sentencing hearings and I've never seen any evidence of any racial bias.
There is often a very strong bias against sending women to prison but gender is the principal factor, racial background is pretty much irrelevant.
Of course very wealthy defendants with access to the slickest defence lawyers and experts, often plead guilty at an early stage then attract unduly lenient sentences for horrible crimes.
Well presented articulate defendants of either gender and good looking females who appear demure- they often avoid prison when their crimes deserve it or attract minuscule imprisonment terms.
Original post by Notoriety
Maybe she meant if Parry were not a victim of domestic abuse previously, and phrased herself rather poorly?

Perhaps.
I didn't get that impression though.
Sounded more like a judicial echoing of the " I hate sending women to prison if they haven't been jailed before" attitude of Judge Owen Davies, this time from a female voice.
:girl:+ :beerglass:+:auto: = :proud::hugs:
:beard:+ :beerglass:+:auto: = :mob:
Original post by ANM775

I agree about Black men but not so sure about leniency in general towards white women.
Original post by londonmyst
Perhaps.
Sounded more like a judicial echoing of the " I hate sending women to prison if they haven't been jailed before" attitude of Judge Owen Davies, this time from a female voice.

The judge is a very intelligent person, so I have to presume good faith with these things.
Perhaps.

The modern judiciary comprises very intelligent people, so I have to presume good faith these things.
Reply 18
Is your "common knowledge" based upon personal experience or the experiences of friends who have been through the criminal courts?

I've been going to criminal courts since before I could walk, been at thousands of sentencing hearings and I've never seen any evidence of any racial bias.
There is often a very strong bias against sending women to prison but gender is the principal factor, racial background is pretty much irrelevant.
Of course very wealthy defendants with access to the slickest defence lawyers and experts, often plead guilty at an early stage then attract unduly lenient sentences for horrible crimes.
Well presented articulate defendants of either gender and good looking females who appear demure- they often avoid prison when their crimes deserve it or attract minuscule imprisonment terms.

I'm not sure where that common knowledge came from tbh [perhaps my mother said it to me when i was little or something like that]

but i have evidence to support my claim

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/crime-justice-and-the-law/courts-sentencing-and-tribunals/average-length-of-custodial-sentences/latest

"in every year during the same period, White offenders were given the shortest custodial sentences on average, and Asian or Black offenders were given the longest"

Spoiler

"
I can't think of what the justification is?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending