The Student Room Group

What career pays £50K that involves science?

Hi guys,
I am currently doing A-levels: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology.
I have no predicted grades at the moment (tests on March) however currently I am on ABB

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How quickly are you expecting to earn 50K? On leaving school? Straight after a degree? at 30?
Research scientists that have been in the sector for awhile tend to earn about that much. unless you apply for a big paying position which is harder to find and usually more competitive.
It’s mainly the high risk ones that pay that sort of wage. However as a graduate of a bachelor i’m pretty sure you wouldn’t get that salary just as a graduate

- chemical engineer
- nuclear engineer
- aerospace engineer
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Compost
How quickly are you expecting to earn 50K? On leaving school? Straight after a degree? at 30?

I have no idea as I have only had little experience in the working world as an AS student that is confused as to what career I should take

I mean, heck yeah i'd prefer straight after a degree haha but I doubt anything offers that.
By 30? If realistic, than definitely!
Original post by AlwaysBroke.
Hi guys,
I am currently doing A-levels: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology.
I have no predicted grades at the moment (tests on March) however currently I am on ABB

Thanks!

Medicine is the one that comes to mind with those a levels
Original post by graceelle
It’s mainly the high risk ones that pay that sort of wage. However as a graduate of a bachelor i’m pretty sure you wouldn’t get that salary just as a graduate

- chemical engineer
- nuclear engineer
- aerospace engineer

I have read that Maths and Physics are required in order to get into courses that lead onto such jobs? I have neither, are there other ways to get in? I wouldn't like to spend no more than 5 years max in uni and thats pushing it
Original post by Captain Holt
Medicine is the one that comes to mind with those a levels

Medicine and Dentistry are the two jobs that have been thrown at me from freinds, family and teachers etc.

Apart from becoming a GP, Medicine for me is out of the question as I couldn't deal with unsocial hours and dead bodies.

Dentistry has been pushing me away as I have read online, looked at some videos and researched the positives and negatives; furthermore I simply have no passion for either of the two. With Dentistry however, It's slightly appealing as I am interested in a "hands-on" job requiring manual dexterity, but the bucket loads of stress, guaranteed permanent back pain and highly competitiveness pushes me away. I can see why it pays so highly though-those with the balls to apply and succeed imo, deserve the pay. (NOTE: I have yet to gain some dental work experience which I plan to get after May Mocks, however i fear this may be too late as other students have had bucket loads of experience on their belt already)

This is the reason why I'm looking for a job that pays £50k in science. I honestly can't find any, and if there is any, it requires high profession tiers (basically managers), or jobs at high value companies. I feel like regretting taking science subjects but I honestly have a passion for it.
Petroleum engineering starts graduates of at about £40k, can work up to about £100k. Depends if you consider that science/don't mind working offshore at times.
Data science
Original post by ethancruise15
Petroleum engineering starts graduates of at about £40k, can work up to about £100k. Depends if you consider that science/don't mind working offshore at times.

Oh **** starts at 40k?? What?! Wow bro, I'll look into it that's crazy!

By offshore I assume going to different countries or just like round U.K?

Oh man travelling around the world and making money sounds like a dream, but I'm bracing myself to get disappointing as labour for the businessman is a cover up for slavery.. Either way, yeah, I think i'll look into it, probably will ask some more.
(Original post by AlwaysBroke.)
Oh **** starts at 40k?? What?! Wow bro, I'll look into it that's crazy!

By offshore I assume going to different countries or just like round U.K?

Oh man travelling around the world and making money sounds like a dream, but I'm bracing myself to get disappointing as labour for the businessman is a cover up for slavery.. Either way, yeah, I think i'll look into it, probably will ask some more

https://www.payscale.com/research/UK/Job=Petroleum_Engineer/Salary/436d6b8a/Entry-Level

With your A-Levels I think your best shot is a degree in Chemistry, without doing maths your options are limited in terms of engineering. The only alternatives would be to try and take a Maths AS/Core Maths and attempt to go for Chemical Engineering which will make you more competitive for the field.

Offshore really can be anywhere where there is a drilling operation, sometimes it may be close to home - e.g. The North Sea, but equally it could be on the other side of the world.
Pharmacy from my research (aka just going on indeed and typing it in). It may take years and experience tho
Hi, thanks for the link, did look up some specialities!
I didn't know psychiatry came under Medicine (thought it would be psychology or something haha), and watching the videos and researching a bit, it seems quite appealing to me. I just wrote a block about why I found it appealing but I don't want you reading a random CV of this 17 year old that hasn't quite been introduced to the 'real' world yet!

Life story/my plans...very random O_o

Spoiler

Data scientist
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Pharmacy from my research (aka just going on indeed and typing it in). It may take years and experience tho

Ahh idk man same I have done quite a bit of research myself, but I have been looking at what current Pharmacists and old timers are saying;

Generally its "don't do it"

Community Pharmacy Pay is apparently £36K moving to £40k <------- I have been told that retail pharmacy is hell and just not worth it for the unsociable hours put in compared to pay received
Hospital Pay has quite a high starting pay but apprently there is no real progression
Pharmacy with a top company with high profession roles e.g. manager will net you a clean £50k + however it's hard to get this salary

Furthermore I have been told the job markets getting saturated and pharmacist technicians or whatever there called are replacing pharmacist jobs. I wouldn't mind going into pharmacy as it's doable for a guy like me to get into and it provides a set somewhat security for cash, but everything so uncertain.

Opening a pharmacy would be pretty cool. I expect it costs loads though and due to competition with big retail, I doubt small pharmacies could survive long.
Original post by AlwaysBroke.
Ahh idk man same I have done quite a bit of research myself, but I have been looking at what current Pharmacists and old timers are saying;

Generally its "don't do it"

Community Pharmacy Pay is apparently £36K moving to £40k <------- I have been told that retail pharmacy is hell and just not worth it for the unsociable hours put in compared to pay received
Hospital Pay has quite a high starting pay but apprently there is no real progression
Pharmacy with a top company with high profession roles e.g. manager will net you a clean £50k + however it's hard to get this salary

Furthermore I have been told the job markets getting saturated and pharmacist technicians or whatever there called are replacing pharmacist jobs. I wouldn't mind going into pharmacy as it's doable for a guy like me to get into and it provides a set somewhat security for cash, but everything so uncertain.

Opening a pharmacy would be pretty cool. I expect it costs loads though and due to competition with big retail, I doubt small pharmacies could survive long.

Well you only have engineering and medicine left then really :colondollar:
If you call Data Science a science :tongue:

The truth is you could do the hard subjects: Physics, Maths, Chemistry and such and still be on the 27k starting -> 40k with years of experience. It's basically the standard situation xD. The only outliers which are science related are Biology (since medicine), Computer Science (since tech and the internet) and Engineering. Basically, you have to be a beast to get a high salary from a hard science subject, :tongue: it's in no way guaranteed.
Data Science and Machine Learning are nice little cross-sections right now though, which the Physics, Maths/Stats and Computer Science peps may use to make some comparative bank (usually means working in the finance or app sectors).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ZombieTheWolf
Well you only have engineering and medicine left then really :colondollar:

Yeah exactly that's what I thought-science doesn't really give much hold to the level of salary i'm looking for but I know that finance and computing does.
Damn, so annoyed. I guess i'll keep searching, maybe settle for a 40-45Kjob if there is any :frown:
Original post by XOR_
If you call Data Science a science :tongue:

The truth is you could do the hard subjects: Physics, Maths, Chemistry and such and still be on the 27k starting -> 40k with years of experience. It's basically the standard situation xD. The only outliers which are science related are Biology (since medicine), Computer Science (since tech and the internet) and Engineering. Basically, you have to be a beast to get a high salary from a hard science subject, :tongue: it's in no way guaranteed.
Data Science and Machine Learning are nice little cross-sections right now though, which the Physics, Maths and Computer Science peps may use to make some comparative bank (usually means working in the finance or app sectors).

Oh man, definitely regretting dropping computer science now! :frown:
I guess there's always options for example I could do a computer science course or something but...grrr yeah I guess your right, from what I have sen science, or at least the subjects i'm taking, really only pays very high, or very low.
Sometime in the future i'll make a list of these jobs and the positive and negatives (e.g. work/life balance and stuff) and see how muhc I value it compared to salary. I'm happy to have a lower salary if It means I have time off work and I can chill or something.

Quick Reply

Latest