The Student Room Group

Gsce english marking

Im just practicing english language paper 5 questions from the workbook, and it told me todescribe a boat on the river. I know this is short and the story could go any way but is this a good way to start

The boat aches in pain as each strength of mother nature indicates the power it upholds. The trees gawk in disbelief almost foreshadowing the troubles that we are about to encounter. The smoke indecisively chokes the boats positive beliefs that somehow we are going to escape this hellhole. The flow of the river gets stronger, knowing our vulnerability of being in this predicament.
This is great! When I’m doing my language question 5s I try start my sentences differently each time - you seem to be saying ‘the’ repeatedly. This slight change can add more in conjunction if you use ranges of punctuation like a semi colon, ellipsis or interrogative. Try add a range of sentences from simple, complex or compound to add more emphasis on the mood you want to set. With my revision I make word banks and phrases that are high level, memorise them and put them into my essays. I normally get a grade 8-9 in my English language papers, try this out! x
Original post by Miriammx
Im just practicing english language paper 5 questions from the workbook, and it told me todescribe a boat on the river. I know this is short and the story could go any way but is this a good way to start

The boat aches in pain as each strength of mother nature indicates the power it upholds. The trees gawk in disbelief almost foreshadowing the troubles that we are about to encounter. The smoke indecisively chokes the boats positive beliefs that somehow we are going to escape this hellhole. The flow of the river gets stronger, knowing our vulnerability of being in this predicament.
Reply 2
where do u find the phrases?
Original post by EllieLouise_
This is great! When I’m doing my language question 5s I try start my sentences differently each time - you seem to be saying ‘the’ repeatedly. This slight change can add more in conjunction if you use ranges of punctuation like a semi colon, ellipsis or interrogative. Try add a range of sentences from simple, complex or compound to add more emphasis on the mood you want to set. With my revision I make word banks and phrases that are high level, memorise them and put them into my essays. I normally get a grade 8-9 in my English language papers, try this out! x
Sometimes my teacher gives us a list, if your teacher doesn’t I would recommend trying to read model answers or find other students work who have gotten high grades and take things out of their essays for you to use.
Original post by jjjjxxx
where do u find the phrases?
Reply 4
ohhh thankss
Sometimes my teacher gives us a list, if your teacher doesn’t I would recommend trying to read model answers or find other students work who have gotten high grades and take things out of their essays for you to use.
Reply 5
Thankyou for the advice, I always struggle with this. Could you tell me some of the phrases that are high level and i don't knowhow id change to stop always saying the x
I’ve left my English language book with the phrases in at school like an idiot 🤦🏻*♀️ However if you google ‘list of sentence starters’ things that you can use should be on there x
Original post by Miriammx
Thankyou for the advice, I always struggle with this. Could you tell me some of the phrases that are high level and i don't knowhow id change to stop always saying the x
Reply 7
thankyou once again, i know this seems ages away but will keep you updated as i will use this techniue then when its exam results day ill tell you what i got. paper 1s i get sixes and paper 2 fives. so as im trying to aim for a seven hopefully i can get that
I’ve left my English language book with the phrases in at school like an idiot 🤦🏻*♀️ However if you google ‘list of sentence starters’ things that you can use should be on there x
Reply 8

Interrigatives? Are you referring to the sentence type or grammatical mood? I think you meant 'erotene'.

Also, what marks is a grade 8/9? Lol.

@Miriammx One of the habits you can get into to improve your English grade is correct spelling. Unless you're American, it's spelt 'practising' with an 's'.
(edited 5 years ago)
Interrogative is just a fancy term for question or rhetorical question. Also a grade 8/9 is equivalent to an A*
Original post by Tolgarda
Interrigatives? Are you referring to the sentence type or grammatical mood? I think you meant 'erotene'.

Also, what marks is a grade 8/9? Lol.

@Miriammx One of the habits you can get into to improve your English grade is correct spelling. Unless you're American, it's spelt 'practising' with an 's'.
Interrogative is just a fancy term for question or rhetorical question. Also a grade 8/9 is equivalent to an A*

That's not fancy. I know what an interrogative is, but I thought you were talking about punctuation, not sentence types, which is why I questioned your use of the word. I thought that 'eroteme' would have been more fitting in lieu of 'interrogative'. I merely questioned your diction.

Anyway, I know what the standard of a grade 8/9 in accordance with the legacy grading system. I am just wondering why you don't mention the marks. I feel that the marks are a much better indicator of performance than a grade.
(edited 5 years ago)
I misread the question you asked, thought you asked what an 8/9 is equivalent to not how many marks you receive - sorry. Anyway, the person who was asking for help didn’t know what her marks she would have gotten as she hadn’t finished it and had wrote one paragraph. That’s why I didn’t really go into it and just brushed upon a few things she could do to improve individual sentences. :smile: I got a grade 9 on my language papers 1 and 2.
That's not fancy. I know what an interrogative is, but I thought you were talking about punctuation, not sentence types, which is why I questioned your use of the word. I thought that 'eroteme' would have been more fitting in lieu of 'interrogative'. I merely questioned your diction.

Anyway, I know what the standard of a grade 8/9 in accordance with the legacy grading system. I am just wondering why you don't mention the marks. I feel that the marks are a much better indicator of performance than a grade. I got full marks in my creative writing for the exams.
I misread the question you asked, thought you asked what an 8/9 is equivalent to not how many marks you receive - sorry. Anyway, the person who was asking for help didn’t know what her marks she would have gotten as she hadn’t finished it and had wrote one paragraph. That’s why I didn’t really go into it and just brushed upon a few things she could do to improve individual sentences. :smile: I got a grade 9 on my language papers 1 and 2.

Are you from the US? I'm just asking because the past participle of 'get' is not 'gotten' in British English.

Also, I hate to break it to others, but a grade 9 isn't that impressive on its own. For example, for Edexcel's grade boundaries, you could achieve a 9 despite losing twenty-seven marks, and AQA's even worse! That's why I usually ask for the marks.
Reply 13
it is impressive to me so just leave it I got the help I needed thanks
Are you from the US? I'm just asking because the past participle of 'get' is not 'gotten' in British English.

Also, I hate to break it to others, but a grade 9 isn't that impressive on its own. For example, for Edexcel's grade boundaries, you could achieve a 9 despite losing twenty-seven marks, and AQA's even worse! That's why I usually ask for the marks.
Could you pm that list that ur teacher gave u?
Sure, I’ll send it in a week or so as I’ve left my English language book at school. Sorry :smile:
Original post by hussain_066
Could you pm that list that ur teacher gave u?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending