The Student Room Group

He doesnt tip the waiter, thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

what mistake? Why should I tip for service that isn't good when in the UK employers have to pay minimum wage. Why should waiters get tipped and I dont? I work for minimum wage
Original post by Jenx301
what mistake? Why should I tip for service that isn't good when in the UK employers have to pay minimum wage. Why should waiters get tipped and I dont? I work for minimum wage

The mistake was that we replied that if the OP feels so strongly about it and her boyfriend didn't want to tip, why didn't she. The correction was that the OP said in the post that she did tip in the end.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I always tip taxi drivers. Every single time. And when I go out with work, I always leave a tip.

I think taxis are very expensive. I would tip if they were very nice or if they went above and beyond. If they tried to take me the long route or if they were sullen or rude, then I definitely wouldn’t.
I think it’s irrelevant. She expected him to tip and made him feel bad when he didn’t. It wasn’t planned that she would pay the tip.
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
The mistake was that we replied that if the OP feels so strongly about it and her boyfriend didn't want to tip, why didn't she. The correction was that the OP said in the post that she did tip in the end.

Yawn. I was just stating why the BF may not have tipped. I have been at work all day and am tired, I may have misread but it isn't a huge deal
Like many people here said already, tipping is not compulsory. I admit it seems quite selfish if you are not going to tip anything at all but regardless your boyfriend did nothing wrong, I would have had the same reaction as him if I were in a restaurant, I pay for my meal which is already quite expensive imo so why should I give more money? I am not their employer or some kind of charity, I am an average customer
Original post by AzureCeleste
I find it weird that he point blank refused to.
Fair enough if he doesn't want to leave a tip, but if someone pressured me I'd leave a couple of pounds or something

Surely OP could have left the tip if it was such a big issue to her? Considering she literally had her entire dinner paid for...

EDIT: I read above, and apparently she did. Fair enough, but I don't think her boyfriend did anything wrong.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JTfoxlove
Yeah I hate that. We won't go out with folk that don't tip.

In the UK everyone in an applicable service industry starts at 5% with me - good service will raise it to 10% (which should be guaranteed), poor service will drop it. I've only ever once left no tip.

There's a bigger issue here though. You raised the issue as something that was important to you and he ignored you.

So? Why should he be obliged to accept her point of view? You could equally argue that the OP ignored her boyfriend... (Despite the fact he'd just paid for her dinner out of his own pocket.)
Assuming this is not in the USA, you're speaking of, waiters and waitresses over here usually receive a minimum wage so tipping isn't necessary for income unlike in the USA. So I don't think he's done anything wrong in my opinion
Original post by Anonymous
So I have been dating this guy for a few months now. We've never really eaten out during this time (we cook a lot). Basically he treated me to dinner last night and refused to leave a tip. I have worked in waitressing/hospitality for 10 years so this is a biggy for me, I always tip well. I asked him why and he said "well people don't tip me for my job" (he owns his own tyre company). I gave him the benefit of the doubt that he just didn't understand the industry so tried to explain it to him and he brushed it off/didn't really listen or care. In the end I left the tip because I felt so embarrassed.

I know this sounds trivial but this feels like a deal breaker to me. I felt so unattracted To him after this, and felt undervalued when he brushed off my opinion. When I confronted him he said I made him feel uncomfortable and asked to leave.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!
Tipping is plainly good manners. I think it says a lot about someone when they don't tip - it doesn't have to be 10 pounds - even a pound will do. It's not about the money it's about the principle of treating people nicely. Anyone who has worked as a waiter/waitress or in a kitchen has been there. It doesn't matter if he paid for dinner for both of you - that's a customary thing to do in any relationship (one person treating another.) Other people on this post really are acting like he gave you a gold bar and then didn't tip!
Load of nuance lost in written text eh.

Doubt OP is ungrateful to her lad taking her out for dinner.

I always tip, but there are people that don't. Just like tonight when I was in the pub, someone shouted at the barman - something I'd never do, but people do it. If tipping is a deal breaker, discuss it out and let us know how it goes.
Original post by confusedgal0
Tipping is plainly good manners. I think it says a lot about someone when they don't tip - it doesn't have to be 10 pounds - even a pound will do. It's not about the money it's about the principle of treating people nicely. Anyone who has worked as a waiter/waitress or in a kitchen has been there. It doesn't matter if he paid for dinner for both of you - that's a customary thing to do in any relationship (one person treating another.) Other people on this post really are acting like he gave you a gold bar and then didn't tip!

Why though? Waiters and waitresses are already getting paid - it's completely inconsistent why some jobs receive tips but not others.

And plenty of people would look very negatively on someone leaving a tip of "a pound" by the way. Lots of people (not myself) would look on that as being very cheap etc.

And yes, I think it is ungrateful for OP to criticise her boyfriend for not being generous enough with his tipping when he literally paid for her entire meal out of her own pocket.
Original post by rockrunride

I always tip, but there are people that don't. Just like tonight when I was in the pub, someone shouted at the barman - something I'd never do, but people do it. If tipping is a deal breaker, discuss it out and let us know how it goes.

Not tipping isn’t the same as not being abusive to the staff. The fact that you compared them says a lot.
Tips should never be allowed. He's absolutely right
Apparently if your date shouts at a waiter/waitress, this is how they will treat you further on in the relationship. ie when they get to know you and maybe start taking you for granted. My ex husband did this before we were married. I ignored the excellent advice and now I am divorced. Obviously it was not as straightforward as being just down to this incident. However it's worth bearing this in mind.
Original post by rockrunride

Original post by Anonymous
tipping isnt even a thing in the uk wtf r u talking about

Yes it is. It's just not as prevalent, because it's not a requirement to do so. It's pretty common in pubs and bars.
It's an interesting philosophical point about tipping being good manners.

Money is always likely to be a limited resource for me and my future family. Me and my partner will have to work for our money.

My highest priorites will always be for my partner and future children.

If I were to start leaving tips I would feel guilty because I would be taking money away from my family and be giving it to complete strangers. OK any particular meal is not a big amount. But over time it would add up to the cost of a family holiday. I think it's better manners to take my family on 1 extra holiday in their lifetime than it is to leave tips. But that's just my inner philosophy - where the people I love most will be the ones that I will always try to be kindest to. If other people have a different philosophy on this to me, then that's fine.

On top of that I was once with 5 French associates in a restaurant in Alsace. I noticed that they didn't tip and asked them when they tipped when eating out in France. They all looked at me shocked and said "Jamais!" - never!
Interesting stuff. It certainly seems like a lot of people on TSR feel very strongly about this issue. I was surprised by the French bit, having lived in France myself. But that fact is fascinating, all the same.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
It's an interesting philosophical point about tipping being good manners.

Money is always likely to be a limited resource for me and my future family. Me and my partner will have to work for our money.

My highest priorites will always be for my partner and future children.

If I were to start leaving tips I would feel guilty because I would be taking money away from my family and be giving it to complete strangers. OK any particular meal is not a big amount. But over time it would add up to the cost of a family holiday. I think it's better manners to take my family on 1 extra holiday in their lifetime than it is to leave tips. But that's just my inner philosophy - where the people I love most will be the ones that I will always try to be kindest to. If other people have a different philosophy on this to me, then that's fine.

On top of that I was once with 5 French associates in a restaurant in Alsace. I noticed that they didn't tip and asked them when they tipped when eating out in France. They all looked at me shocked and said "Jamais!" - never!
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Surely OP could have left the tip if it was such a big issue to her? Considering she literally had her entire dinner paid for...

EDIT: I read above, and apparently she did. Fair enough, but I don't think her boyfriend did anything wrong.

I agree. He did nothing wrong. She was in the wrong for pressuring him there and then
They could've discussed it all at a later date
Original post by Oxford Mum
Apparently if your date shouts at a waiter/waitress, this is how they will treat you further on in the relationship. ie when they get to know you and maybe start taking you for granted. My ex husband did this before we were married. I ignored the excellent advice and now I am divorced. Obviously it was not as straightforward as being just down to this incident. However it's worth bearing this in mind.

Absolutely agree. How someone treats those that are serving them or those they deem as inferiors tells you a lot about that person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending