The Student Room Group

Conditional offer I can’t meet

I firmed a conditional offer I received and there is no way I can meet that offer due to my gcse grades and what the gcse grades they are asking for in the offer. What I’m confused about though is why did they still make an offer when they know I don’t hold them? The course I’m doing now though has a lot of maths content to it

Scroll to see replies

Ring them up ASAP and see if they've made an exception with regards to your GCSEs and given you the standard offer regardless.
Original post by Gunners89
I firmed a conditional offer I received and there is no way I can meet that offer due to my gcse grades and what the gcse grades they are asking for in the offer. What I’m confused about though is why did they still make an offer when they know I don’t hold them? The course I’m doing now though has a lot of maths content to it

then they've made a mistake and you will probably get away with it. your uni will not receive your GCSE grades again.

i don't recommend doing a mathsy degree if you are not 100% comfortable with maths though.
Reply 3
I’m doing Access to Science course right now, in which a few units are maths units so I’m hoping they will accept those in lieu
I’m doing Access to Science course right now, in which a few units are maths units so I’m hoping they will accept those in lieu

They’re expecting you to resit your maths GCSE.
Reply 5
But surely they must know I’m not as I didn’t put down that I was currently doing that on my application? I don’t mind doing it alongside my degree
Original post by PQ
They’re expecting you to resit your maths GCSE.
But surely they must know I’m not as I didn’t put down that I was currently doing that on my application? I don’t mind doing it alongside my degree

You need to speak to them. You should have queried this with them before accepting the offer.
Hello,

Definitely worth giving them a ring and checking in - if it's going to be an issue, you need time to rectify it before exam time.

Good luck, fingers crossed for you!

Abbi

Student Rep, Uni of Hudds
Reply 8
Yeah I will ask about this when I’m there Wednesday attending the open day for my chosen area of study. Thanks
Yeah I will ask about this when I’m there Wednesday attending the open day for my chosen area of study. Thanks

They may not have the time/facility to check specific queries about offers at the open day - this is usually for more general advice. I'd recommend calling them on Monday to get this resolved.
Reply 10
Okay will do thanks
Original post by Charlotte's Web
They may not have the time/facility to check specific queries about offers at the open day - this is usually for more general advice. I'd recommend calling them on Monday to get this resolved.
Reply 11
To be honest I thought the maths units I’m doing on my course would account for the maths GCSE and with me doing an access course and being out of education for years before this would give me some leeway
To be honest I thought the maths units I’m doing on my course would account for the maths GCSE and with me doing an access course and being out of education for years before this would give me some leeway

Unfortunately, most unis are still very keen on you having Maths and English GCSEs. It's likely that Maths GCSE covers a much wider range of skills than the units on your access course, which may be just focused on a single area, such as statistics. It's also easier for unis to have blanket requirements for GCSEs, rather than having to look at everything on a case by case basis.

It may also be that they've let people on without Maths GCSE in the past and have found that they struggled.

Finally, it may also be to do with employability after the degree is over. In a lot of fields, having a Maths GCSE is essential or very helpful for getting a job, even if you also have a relevant degree.
You should have queried before making the firm offer.
Phone them or just try emailing the admissions team and see what they say. The open day may not be much of help as it’s just a general information on the uni and the subjects.
Good luck!
Reply 14
Attended the open day yesterday and I was able to speak with one of the admissions staff. Had an email later in the day then saying they’ll accept the maths content I’m doing now instead of a maths gcse and will accept my English literature grade c in lieu of English language. So all good
Attended the open day yesterday and I was able to speak with one of the admissions staff. Had an email later in the day then saying they’ll accept the maths content I’m doing now instead of a maths gcse and will accept my English literature grade c in lieu of English language. So all good

funny as I got A* in English language GCSE but a C in English lit
I firmed a conditional offer I received and there is no way I can meet that offer due to my gcse grades

Why did you Firm it then...?

Congratulations
Even if you didn't say you were resitting your maths, if they give you an offer with a certain maths grade in it, they will expect you to be able to produce proof that you have achieved that grade. Many students have to resit maths, and it's expected that you make the effort to do so. I needed a grade B in GCSE maths to get onto my uni course, and I was asked to produce my certificate for that and my A Levels (even though they'd already got those results) on the first day when I arrived.

That's great news :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending