The Student Room Group

Are small pets allowed in student accommodation?

Hey guys, I’ll be going to uni in 2020 and I was wondering if certain accommodations of different universities allow small pets. I have a couple of pet shrimp that I would really love to bring with me, they are all very small so they only have a small tank that doesn’t take up much space (roughly 30cm by 20cm)

Of course I will contact all the universities nearer the time and ask but just to get a rough idea in advance does this sound acceptable? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Icykitten
Hey guys, I’ll be going to uni in 2020 and I was wondering if certain accommodations of different universities allow small pets. I have a couple of pet shrimp that I would really love to bring with me, they are all very small so they only have a small tank that doesn’t take up much space (roughly 30cm by 20cm)

Of course I will contact all the universities nearer the time and ask but just to get a rough idea in advance does this sound acceptable? Thanks :smile:

Nope not usually.

Not usually, but with shrimp they would be relatively easy to hide if you wanted to :wink: If they were discovered you would probably only be asked to remove them from the accommodation.

However, you probably wouldn't be insured if the tank ever broke/flooded- so it might not be worth the risk.

Some private landlords would be fine with this set up, as they're usually happier to consider things on a case by case basis.
Your insurance would then become too high so the university would reject it, however if you went with a private landlord they might accept it.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Not usually, but with shrimp they would be relatively easy to hide if you wanted to :wink: If they were discovered you would probably only be asked to remove them from the accommodation.

However, you probably wouldn't be insured if the tank ever broke/flooded- so it might not be worth the risk.

Some private landlords would be fine with this set up, as they're usually happier to consider things on a case by case basis.

Yeah, they would be easy to hide, if there was a room inspection or something I could hide them in a opaque water bottle, no one would have a clue lol XD

The tank hasn’t broken before so I doubt there would be an issue with that, even so, if it did break there would only be about 2L of water in there so nothing major.
What do you mean by insurance? I didn’t know you needed insurance for a tank?
Reply 5
Original post by TensorTympani
Your insurance would then become too high so the university would reject it, however if you went with a private landlord they might accept it.

Why would there be high insurance?
Why would there be high insurance?

So you have insurance for the house included with your rent fees, and if something like the tank broke or something happened then the insurance company will say it is x% more likely to happen because you have a pet.
And in all flats you need permission for a pet.
Reply 7
Original post by TensorTympani
So you have insurance for the house included with your rent fees, and if something like the tank broke or something happened then the insurance company will say it is x% more likely to happen because you have a pet.
And in all flats you need permission for a pet.

Oh ok, I’ll ask nearer the time because it’s a very small tank so there wouldn’t be a major flood if it broke.
Not officially, eh? @CoolCavy
Yeah, they would be easy to hide, if there was a room inspection or something I could hide them in a opaque water bottle, no one would have a clue lol XD

The tank hasn’t broken before so I doubt there would be an issue with that, even so, if it did break there would only be about 2L of water in there so nothing major.
What do you mean by insurance? I didn’t know you needed insurance for a tank?

Most uni rooms come with buildings and contents insurance as standard (or contents insurance as a cheap add on). These cover you if you if things in the room break or get damaged during your stay and it's not your fault, meaning they get repaired at no cost.

2L of water could potentially cause some damage, especially if it happened during the day and wasn't noticed for a few hours, or ended up on electrics etc. However, because you shouldn't have had the tank in your room, the uni would expect you to cover the costs of any repairs or cleaning needed. However, it sounds like it's unlikely to happen.
Original post by harrysbar
Not officially, eh? @CoolCavy

Nope :ninja:

------------------------
OP it is very unlikely they will let you have one but just because they dont let you doesnt mean you cant have one. I have a hamster in my uni room and he's my best friend. I have him for MH reasons and he is invaluable. I just put him in the cupboard when inspections happen, at our accommodation they have to give notice before they come into your room. As long as you are sensible and dont go round flaunting them they are unlikely to find out. I wouldnt ask them either, the majority will say no and then you have alerted them to the fact you want to bring a pet so they may be more suspicious.
Reply 11
Original post by CoolCavy
Nope :ninja:

------------------------
OP it is very unlikely they will let you have one but just because they dont let you doesnt mean you cant have one. I have a hamster in my uni room and he's my best friend. I have him for MH reasons and he is invaluable. I just put him in the cupboard when inspections happen, at our accommodation they have to give notice before they come into your room. As long as you are sensible and dont go round flaunting them they are unlikely to find out. I wouldnt ask them either, the majority will say no and then you have alerted them to the fact you want to bring a pet so they may be more suspicious.

Ah ok, thanks for that advice :smile:
Do the people doing the inspections not check the cupboards then? That doesn’t seem like their doing a great job of inspecting if you ask me lol.
I think I would be able to get away with it if I hide them in a water bottle during inspections (not a transparent bottle tho) XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending