The Student Room Group

GCSE HELP THREAD TO ALL YEAR 11's

I'm aware that this thread may already be available but im making it anyways.

So, this thread is aimed to help other struggling year 11's by explaining how you revise and tips on how do structure exams (preferably give advice on subjects your doing well in).

I'll start, I have been stuck on the same grade for English Literature since year 10, I want to push it up but don't know how. Edexcel, and my books are: Romeo & Juliet, Animal Farm, A Christmas Carol and Poetry = Time & Place.

Also, I truly don't know how to revise for GCSE Maths, tips would be great.

However, I am doing pretty well in History (Edexcel: Medicine through time, Elizabeth, Cold war, Vietnam, Civil Rights) && Drama. So I could give some advice on that I needed.

Hope this thread helps!
Reply 1
Maths - I recommend doing past papers. You can use JustMaths and mathsgenie, for example.

To get high marks for English Literature, make sure you include context as well as language analysis and effect on the reader. Try to make perceptive comments (which will get you into the higher marks) and offer different interpretations of quotes. Choose quotes that you can say a lot about. For example, at the end of A Christmas Carol, Scrooge says "I am quite a baby". One interpretation is that it shows how childish Scrooge has become in comparison to the stern Scrooge at the beginning of the novel. Another interpretation could be that Scrooge has been reborn as a new person, because the noun "baby" is used.
For english lit avoid cliche's...remember the examiner is going to be reading thousands of answers...what I suggest is Stacey Reay's videos(her analysis is extremely perceptive)...for maths use maths genie and then straight onto past papers. Also well done for doing well in history..even though I don't do it apparently the structure of your answer is really important ...this can be difficult at times..
Good luck:smile:
Could you give me advice on revising history im currently making notes on medicine through time since thats what i struggle with the most. but should i start making notes for everything then learning them?
Reply 4
Sorry for late replying, not been on tsr.

Basc, for medicine through time I would say making notes is helpful because that's what I'm doing. Remember to make time for all the other parts of history. But if it's the one you struggle with literally spend like at least 20 minutes a day recapping it or something like that. Just to memorise medieval,renaissance,industrial and modern. Even divide it into causes, prevention, care, treatment sections so you can notice the change. Practise essays at least once a week. Good luck
Original post by Miriammx
Could you give me advice on revising history im currently making notes on medicine through time since thats what i struggle with the most. but should i start making notes for everything then learning them?
How many paragraphs is everyone writing for the poetry anthology essay for english lit? (power and conflict AQA)
Reply 6
HI Any help/advice with Drama is needed. I need help with War Horse in Particular ....
Original post by coolio333

So, this thread is aimed to help other struggling year 11's by explaining how you revise and tips on how do structure exams (preferably give advice on subjects your doing well in).

I'll start, I have been stuck on the same grade for English Literature since year 10, I want to push it up but don't know how. Edexcel, and my books are: Romeo & Juliet, Animal Farm, A Christmas Carol and Poetry = Time & Place.

However, I am doing pretty well in History (Edexcel: Medicine through time, Elizabeth, Cold war, Vietnam, Civil Rights) && Drama. So I could give some advice on that I needed.

Hope this thread helps!
Reply 7
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
For english lit avoid cliche's

I didn't avoid them and I was pretty successful. Maybe my examiners had crack or something?
I also need help with Romeo and Juliet
Maths I would reccomend past papers and practice I use math genie its really helpful

Hope this thread helps!
Well, my teacher said to write four paragraphs exculding the very short intro and conclusion
Original post by studyingpeach
How many paragraphs is everyone writing for the poetry anthology essay for english lit? (power and conflict AQA)
i recommened Mr bruff he's an absoulte life saver. Before, to be honest, i barely understood what they were saying in the play and felt like the vocublary was too complex for my simple mind.
Mr bruffs playlist on youtube goes through the whole play and translates every sentence into modern day english and focuses on important quotes and analysis them
Original post by 4 NEED HELP GSCE
I also need help with Romeo and Juliet
Maths I would reccomend past papers and practice I use math genie its really helpful

Hope this thread helps!

What is your advice for history and what did you get in your mock?
Reply 12
I literally made flashcards and recapped those. History is literally all about learning everything like weeks then days before hand to gain long term and short term memory
I made a a4 sheet for each model with a key dates timeline bc dropping those in an essay show how much info you attained.

I also wrote out a checklist on each module w key topics to learn so like I made 22 topics for Cold war. And now I will recap each topic instead of just revising randomly.

REMEMBER TO HAVE A SET STRUCTURE FOR YOUR ESSAYS!

Good luck!
Original post by Littlegeekgirl_
What is your advice for history and what did you get in your mock?
I’m good at history but I struggle so much on Cold War , what’s the best way to revise the events
Reply 14
Any tips of triple science? I'm going through th content a lot, but I've seen on a lot of threads that just going through the content isn't the most reliable revision for science. Science is definitely my worst GCSE so I really want to push myself and get aa 7. Any tips?
(There are only 2 available past papers, both of which I've done in school)
Reply 15
go onto physics and maths tutor and do the exam questions for each individual topic :smile:
Original post by flynn02
Any tips of triple science? I'm going through th content a lot, but I've seen on a lot of threads that just going through the content isn't the most reliable revision for science. Science is definitely my worst GCSE so I really want to push myself and get aa 7. Any tips?
(There are only 2 available past papers, both of which I've done in school)

Quick Reply

Latest