The Student Room Group

Revision Strategies?

How did you revise for your GCSEs? What method would you guys recommend?
Reply 1
do loads of past papers, the questions are always the same just phrased differently
Reply 2
Thanks! Was there a way for you to memorise all the formulae?

Original post by sb2079
do loads of past papers, the questions are always the same just phrased differently
Get a big board or bit of paper and do a detailed mind map :smile:
Reply 4
For sciences, learn the syllabus
Make summarised notes of what uve learnt in class
Go over what u learnt everyday/every week for each subject

Hope this helps :smile: , I’m doing my GCSE’s this year
Original post by lucy4590
Flash cards and reading notes.
What I like to do is go through my revision guide and make a question summarizing every paragraph or a key point then writing the answer below it. So instead of taking ages and making notes and then take even longer to make flashcards or other techniques you may use, you essentially combine the 2 in half the time.
Then do past papers religiously. Use the mark scheme to add on to your notes. Hope this helps!
Reply 8
Original post by Lucy Alice
Get a big board or bit of paper and do a detailed mind map :smile:

Thanks!!
Reply 9
This is so smart! Thank you!!
Original post by bubblyjubblyg
What I like to do is go through my revision guide and make a question summarizing every paragraph or a key point then writing the answer below it. So instead of taking ages and making notes and then take even longer to make flashcards or other techniques you may use, you essentially combine the 2 in half the time.
Then do past papers religiously. Use the mark scheme to add on to your notes. Hope this helps!
Reply 10
the more papers you do, the more the formulae will stay in your head,
honestly, all you need to do is to learn the syllabus
Thanks! Was there a way for you to memorise all the formulae?
Original post by bubblyjubblyg

This is so smart! But how do you make a question that summarizes a whole paragraph/ section of a revision guide?
You don't have to summarize the whole paragraph in 1 question, you can do more than one.
But lets take the example of root hair cells.
So what I would do first is read the paragraph then you think to your self what questions could they ask me.
Usually, what has helped me is that I constantly do exam questions so I am very familiar to the type of questions they may ask.
So the most commonly asked exam questions for specialized cells are its function and how they are adapted.
So your two questions would be:
What is function of the root hair cells?
How are they adapted?
Hope this helps!
Original post by tomaszmorris
This is so smart! But how do you make a question that summarizes a whole paragraph/ section of a revision guide?

Quick Reply

Latest