The Student Room Group

Qualitative data help!

Hi

I'm doing thematic analysis and have a question

I'm doing the results and discussion of my data and was wondering, can I do the analysis/discussion as I go on? As in as I go through each theme, can I talk about other researchers and do the discussion in that part? Or does it have to be my own results/themes then the discussion after?

I feel as though it would flow much better if I do the analysis/discussion as I go on.

I'd ask my supervisor but it's easter break and it's due just after
Your supervisor may well answer emails over the break unless they are on actual leave. It's worth a try.

I've seen papers in education do things the way you are describing- usually with some overall conclusions/implications at the end. However, it does depend on what's standard in your field. Have you ever seen things done this way before in a paper in a journal your dissertation could theoretically be published in? If so, it's probably fine- if not, then it's probably not ok.
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Your supervisor may well answer emails over the break unless they are on actual leave. It's worth a try.

I've seen papers in education do things the way you are describing- usually with some overall conclusions/implications at the end. However, it does depend on what's standard in your field. Have you ever seen things done this way before in a paper in a journal your dissertation could theoretically be published in? If so, it's probably fine- if not, then it's probably not ok.

I have seen 1 or 2 that seem to go into a lot of detail/analyse during the results stage, then have a brief discussion that's more like a conclusion/summary. so i think i'd get away with it, but i'm just not sure! idk if i should just in my results use no references and just simply state my themes and then in the discussion link it all to my literature review? idk what to do
Original post by Carl1234
I have seen 1 or 2 that seem to go into a lot of detail/analyse during the results stage, then have a brief discussion that's more like a conclusion/summary. so i think i'd get away with it, but i'm just not sure! idk if i should just in my results use no references and just simply state my themes and then in the discussion link it all to my literature review? idk what to do

I think either will be fine, but why not email your supervisor? I'm sure they will be able to help!
Reply 4
I think either will be fine, but why not email your supervisor? I'm sure they will be able to help!

i'm sure they're on annual leave rn :/
i'm sure they're on annual leave rn :/

In the sense that they've told you or just because it's Easter? Uni lecturers don't take annual leave every time there's a holiday- and they're usually available to students via email during the holidays unless they've said otherwise.

If you can't contact your supervisor, maybe try your course leader/module leader for advice.
Reply 6
In the sense that they've told you or just because it's Easter? Uni lecturers don't take annual leave every time there's a holiday- and they're usually available to students via email during the holidays unless they've said otherwise.

If you can't contact your supervisor, maybe try your course leader/module leader for advice.

Good idea, tyvm

One last question if you don't mind, if i have 10 participants and I find a theme based on 7 participant's raw data, how do I word/work around not listening all 7 excerpts? I could, in theory, list all 7 quotes but I just feel it's wasting my word count and after 3, it's pointless listing anymore because it's kind of repeating and doesn't add much to the theme that's already been analysed based on the 3 excerpts
Good idea, tyvm

One last question if you don't mind, if i have 10 participants and I find a theme based on 7 participant's raw data, how do I word/work around not listening all 7 excerpts? I could, in theory, list all 7 quotes but I just feel it's wasting my word count and after 3, it's pointless listing anymore because it's kind of repeating and doesn't add much to the theme that's already been analysed based on the 3 excerpts

Could you present the quotes in a kind of results table so they don't count towards your word count?

Alternatively, you could list the most relevant quotes and just add something like "X% of participants also gave similar responses". Or you could open with something like "7 participants said X was important to them" and then give some representative examples.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending