The Student Room Group

Hair dye advice

Hi so I am going to dip dye my hair dark purple/ plum at the bottom (my hair is black at the moment) and I am going to use a permanent hair dye because I can't seem to find any temporary ones that will show up on dark hair. I was just wondering how long it will last and whether i would be able to do it myself at home with just a normal box of hair dye? Also are all hair dyes bleaching ones and are there any dyes that don't bleach the hair?

Any advice, tips would be much appreciated because I am a but unsure of what to do.
I have dyed my hair plum/purple before and the result is quite subtle. If you’re lookinh for subtle then it’s fine but if you wanted bright and bold I would suggest bleaching the bottom parts first. But it totally depends on what you’re looking for. If I dye my hair a bold colour, I always want it to be very bright and vibrant but others may want a subtler colour. I’ve tried temporary dyes and they don’t seem to work well on my hair (my hair is naturally medium brown) unless it’s bleached before hand.
Bleach is present in blonde dyes or as a stand alone product (like Jerome Russel for eg).
You can technically lighten your hair with a box dye but I think at the most it will only go lighter by 1 shade and I’m pretty sure it only does that on hair that has no dye in it.
You can dip dye at home, I have done it seeral times before and it is fairly easy to do, especially if you have long hair.

I have found that the LIVE hairdyes by Schwarzkopf have a vast range of colours and are quite good.
My tips are to buy some of those soft rubber gloves they use in hospitals because the ones provided in the box are terrible and make it much harder to dye abd more likely you’ll get a glob of it on the end of the glove somewhere and end up smearing it on part of the hair you don’t want to dye/your skin/furniture.
Use a timer for how long the dye has been on.
Wear an old ***** and cover up the area you’re going to be dying in. Dye seems to get EVERYWHERE.
Vaseline is good to smear on parts of your skin you dont want dye on Say if you were doing a full dye, you can smear vaseline on your hairline so it doesn’t stain your skin.
What else.. try to get the dye on the hair in as short a time as possible otherwise one side will have less time to develop before you wash it off. (Only really a problem if you’re working with bleach)
You only need to bleach your hair if you are going for shades lighter than your natural colour (which is why there are like no hair dye for brunettes).
Reply 3
Thank you so much!
Original post by Anonymous
I have dyed my hair plum/purple before and the result is quite subtle. If you’re lookinh for subtle then it’s fine but if you wanted bright and bold I would suggest bleaching the bottom parts first. But it totally depends on what you’re looking for. If I dye my hair a bold colour, I always want it to be very bright and vibrant but others may want a subtler colour. I’ve tried temporary dyes and they don’t seem to work well on my hair (my hair is naturally medium brown) unless it’s bleached before hand.
Bleach is present in blonde dyes or as a stand alone product (like Jerome Russel for eg).
You can technically lighten your hair with a box dye but I think at the most it will only go lighter by 1 shade and I’m pretty sure it only does that on hair that has no dye in it.
You can dip dye at home, I have done it seeral times before and it is fairly easy to do, especially if you have long hair.

I have found that the LIVE hairdyes by Schwarzkopf have a vast range of colours and are quite good.
My tips are to buy some of those soft rubber gloves they use in hospitals because the ones provided in the box are terrible and make it much harder to dye abd more likely you’ll get a glob of it on the end of the glove somewhere and end up smearing it on part of the hair you don’t want to dye/your skin/furniture.
Use a timer for how long the dye has been on.
Wear an old ***** and cover up the area you’re going to be dying in. Dye seems to get EVERYWHERE.
Vaseline is good to smear on parts of your skin you dont want dye on Say if you were doing a full dye, you can smear vaseline on your hairline so it doesn’t stain your skin.
What else.. try to get the dye on the hair in as short a time as possible otherwise one side will have less time to develop before you wash it off. (Only really a problem if you’re working with bleach)
I wanna dip dye my hair blue at the ends and I've dyed my hair black so I'm gonna have to bleach the ends first and then dye it
Reply 5
blue sounds cool.. i'm still deciding between blue or dark purple dip dye
Original post by cherlloydfan
I wanna dip dye my hair blue at the ends and I've dyed my hair black so I'm gonna have to bleach the ends first and then dye it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending