The Student Room Group

Igcse french listening

I do edexcel higher french igcse. I am really struggling with it especially as to what they are saying. Anyone have any tips or tricks for it? thanks so much !
Bonjour!
I do French A level so here are a few of my listening practice methods!
1. French music
If you listen to music, even if you don't understand every word, you are almost tuning yourself into the French language. Even better, if you use sites such as lyrics training you can learn how to recognise words in fast French. After that, he GCSE listenings will sounds really slow! Some artists you could try out are Céline Dion, Joe Dassin, Zaz, Joyce Jonathan, Banarba and MC solaar.

2. Podcasts
Find yourself a podcast app and listen to a few in French! You could try the news in slow French or coffee break French, but personally I prefer to listen to normal French podcasts designed for nationals as even though I dontd understand everything, it means that I acclimatise myself to listening to French and picking out what I know so that when it comes to exams the questions are really slow and much easier than they would be otherwise. You could even try audiobooks! I use the Castbox app.

3. French YouTube
His is great because you can often get English subtitles with the video and videos are usually quite short so it isn't too difficult to maintain concentration! If you want a TV series on YouTube, Extra French is also good at GCSE level!

4. French TV
Depending on what you like, Netflix has a few different French films and TV series. However, some of them are quite strange so be careful! As I said, Extra French is on YouTube but you can also use site such as TV5monde to find French documentaries and news programs.

These are my top 4 suggestions but at the end of the day I think that the maintjing is consistency- do something for at least 5 minutes every day and you'll find that you improve!

Bonne chance!
Wow wasn’t expecting such a detailed reply at all! Thanks so so so much ! Much appreciated!
@redmeercat
😁 French listening is kinda my thing... I hated it last year as I barely understood a word but I love it now as I can call listening to music revision (and of course because French is a beautiful language)! Try and enjoy whatever it is that you choose to do at least a bit... It's difficult but it's worth it!
Original post by GamerBoy123
Wow wasn’t expecting such a detailed reply at all! Thanks so so so much ! Much appreciated!
Original post by redmeercat
😁 French listening is kinda my thing... I hated it last year andabarely understoond a word but I love it now as I can call listening to music revision! Try and enjoy whatever it is that you choose to do at least a bit... It's difficult but it's worth it!
exactly!
Une autre chose que j'ai oublié est que tu peux utiliser l'appli qui s'appelle <<HelloTalk>> si tu voudrais pratiquer la langue avec des français- il m'a aidée beaucoup!

Bonne chance!
Original post by GamerBoy123
exactly!
Original post by redmeercat
Une autre chose que j'ai oublié est que tu peux utiliser l'appli qui s'appelle <<HelloTalk>> si tu voudrais pratiquer la langue avec des français- il m'a aidée beaucoup!

Bonne chance!

alors merci Beaucoup!

Quick Reply

Latest