The Student Room Group

muslim girls- how do you avoid guys hitting on you, being close/touching you at uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by verycoolperson
SALAM
MY advice is to AVOID all maLE interactions, dress AND ACT as modestly as possible and get married

You are joking of course, right?
Original post by mgi
But that,of course, is not what i was talking about. You just gave 2 extreme examples. The point i was making is that the person who wrote the post we are referring to sounded sanctimonious and judgemental! If you don't like being touched- say so and if it continues then report it! and what sort of " people you don't like" is he referring to? the drinkers, those ,like many Muslim men who have sex before marriage and keep it secret, or who are gay etc. etc.,those that don't follow Islam. Its far better , simpler and more humane, in my view,to be non judgemental!

to an extent, we all naturally judge people. religious or atheist, we have our own morals/principles and when we meet people who totally go against that we all feel uncomfortable being in their presence and want to get out. the person who wrote this thread has a similar feeling... her principle is that she doesn't want to get into a relationship yet guys are chasing her, best possible advice would be to stay away, correct? it would be stupid to stay in that situation and only deal with it after the act has occurred.

integration is healthy but everyone has a line and from this person's description, it seems like the guy jumped over her line.

personally, im a muslim, and i feel very uncomfortable hanging around with people who are muslim only in name. the vibe isn't nice and everyone knows the saying 'you become the people who you hang around with', so i stay away. it doesn't mean i'm morally superior as i'm not saying i'm better than them nor am i telling them to be like me instead i let them do them and i stay away.
oh dear, im sorry how embarrasing my entire comment was written with me thinking you were a girl..sorry! but nevertheless thank you again, yeah i won't let that single factor deter me from applying there, however i do often wonder, having never experienced living in london/in a more ethnically diverse area surrounded by many muslims and other like minded people- whether i would prefer going there for the experience! i'm currently looking at both kings and ucl, i think i'll start another thread about how easy it is to make friends for students at London Universities in general as i've heard its harder because the majority of students commute and so leave after their lectures/dont hang about etc.
hey, what do you mean? im reading it now tbf and it sounds so pretentious idk what came over me when i wrote that lol i just wanted you to get a gauge of my character, im not frigid and quiet but im not THAT open like i still have my morals and principles ive just never had to put them into practice and kinda stop people stepping over my line if you know what i mean- because i go to a girls school and have never experienced anything like it. I'd hate to have to change up my whole personality just to go to uni and give guys the impression that im not interested right off the off but like the other guy said i just have to 'play the game right'...just gonna have to learn how to do that i guess..
You never set boundaries and he carried on doing it. That was the problem.

It's like you said, he instigated it, you didn't like it but were just trying to be nice back and so it went on.

Don't be nice, say no and tell him to move. Sounds harsh but literally be harsher with men if you dislike their actions cos otherwise you being nice = green light.
hey lol so basically i know i should tell them to stop but how do i physically say to someone who just nudged me/touched my shoulder seemingly without thinking too much of it, in action to stop?
I feel so pathetic asking this i feel like everyone just knows and im just dumb.
Original post by Jenx301
If you dont want someone to touch you then tell them to stopl. If they don't then they are dicks and you should report them to the uni
i don’t mind and don’t care and like it
Also if you find it hard to say it to them then maybe think about girl only groups as you have done in your school.
are you a muslim?
Original post by BLACKPINKK
i don’t mind and don’t care and like it
sorta
Original post by Anonymous
are you a muslim?
sorta

bro its a yes or no question
bro its a yes or no question

No, it is NOT
No, it is NOT

Either you're muslim or you're NOT.

How hard is it to answer that.
Reply 33
hey lol so basically i know i should tell them to stop but how do i physically say to someone who just nudged me/touched my shoulder seemingly without thinking too much of it, in action to stop?
I feel so pathetic asking this i feel like everyone just knows and im just dumb.

This thread is really over the top. A guy bumps into you/touches you accidentally just like when you are in a busy shopping centre, right? what is the big deal- one or both of you say sorry and move on ! Easy! If it is unwanted touching, whether you are a muslim or an atheist - you open your mouth and tell them to stop.Ok? I think you may have a quite distorted view of uni life especially if you hsve never lived away from your parents. A more pressing problem for you apart from getting the entry grades is to figure out what can be done to reduce the e amount of loneliness that some uni students can feel and how to integrate without changing your principles!
Original post by mgi
This thread is really over the top. A guy bumps into you/touches you accidentally just like when you are in a busy shopping centre, right? what is the big deal- one or both of you say sorry and move on ! Easy! If it is unwanted touching, whether you are a muslim or an atheist - you open your mouth and tell them to stop.Ok? I think you may have a quite distorted view of uni life especially if you hsve never lived away from your parents. A more pressing problem for you apart from getting the entry grades is to figure out what can be done to reduce the e amount of loneliness that some uni students can feel and how to integrate without changing your principles!

No if you read what she said, the guy was repeatedly touching her on purpose and trying to get close to her- clearly hitting on the girl. That is what she’s worried about. I personally don’t think it’s a problem at university, but that is the experience she had at a university summer school.
Either you're muslim or you're NOT.

How hard is it to answer that.

hahashahaha
Wearing a backpack thats ticking loudly does the trick :biggrin:
ive always gone to a girls school but im not your typical frigid, awkward *****y girl i was defo the chilled laid back one who just went there because it was the best school in the area type thing-so obviously i havent ever really had issues with guys who i see/walk with/hang out with everyday liking me and trying to get closer to me etc. Now obviously, i'm a practicing muslim and do take my faith quite seriously but i went on a summer school recently obviously mixed and we quickly formed a mixed group. this guy tho yeah he consistently sat v close to me, had his arm around me(on the sofa so not actually touching) when we were sat on the couch, touched my back and often when we were walking down quite narrow lanes we would just constantly keep bumping into eachother. we also rubbed shoulders alot and when we were on the sofa had a blanket over the two of us ( i didnt realise it was only over us apparently i had the majority of it). i am honestly riddled with guilt and i dunno i just hate this feeling because i know its not allowed to be close to a guy but honestly it was him always initiating/instigating it and i was just trying to be nice back. luckily this was only a week long summer school but i expect had it been freshers week this would have carried on and we wouldve carried on brushing into eachother and all the other minor touching that was going on between us would have continued- i wasnt reciprocating anything like touching him back except a few times when it was necessary so i honeslty wonder how you girls at uni do it? do you just 100% avoid guys altogerther from day one? or just befriend skinny ones lol so you never have to touch, this guy was HENCH unfortunately for me and he took up a lot of the room i know i shouldve hung back or walked ahead or whatever and got out of the close contact situation but that for 3 years straigjt would inevitably get exhausting (and i would just feel rude!) a whole damned essay uno- anyway please do reply and let me know what i should do/what you do. thanks

Wow. Genuinely offended by the skinny guy thing. At least give us a chance. It’s not all about pecs and biceps. A lot of skinny people are skinny due to them having skinny genes (lol pardon the pun) so it’s not entirely fair/our fault.
Reply 38
Salaams sis yes I recommend listening to our religion and reading the Quran it will get rid of all bad thoughts and guilts you may have. I commend you so much for sticking to your values because sadly I'm surrounded by Muslims but they swear all the time. im hoping next year after doing my exams. Please pray for me that I will pass my exams this is my 3rd timendoing itazzawajall will help you find the right man for you one that respects you and loves you for who you are. I'm 17 and planning to go on lvl 2 health and social care
Reply 39
Original post by Mohsi17
Salaams sis yes I recommend listening to our religion and reading the Quran it will get rid of all bad thoughts and guilts you may have. I commend you so much for sticking to your values because sadly I'm surrounded by Muslims but they swear all the time. im hoping next year after doing my exams. Please pray for me that I will pass my exams this is my 3rd timendoing itazzawajall will help you find the right man for you one that respects you and loves you for who you are. I'm 17 and planning to go on lvl 2 health and social care

Can't someone close down this thread now? If a particular behaviour is unwanted why not just say so? Its quite easy- what ever religion you follow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending