The Student Room Group

Confused about my weight?

I am 21 year old male 5’7 and weigh 155lbs. I have been dedicated to the gym for a decade and I feel it really shows but what confuses me is that I see all online people and fitness gurus say my weight at 5’7 is considered ‘skinny’ and ‘weak’. This really puzzles me as despite being so light, I am extremely lean and strong right now and my muscles are still round and full, plus my shoulders are very wide (54 inches) and waist very small (27 inches). That is literally a 2x shoulders to waist ratio. I just finished my cut, heaviest I was was 205lbs at the peak of my bulk and I honestly feel I look bigger and more muscular now at the much lighter weight. I can hit a 3x bodyweight squat, 3.5x bodyweight deadlift and 2x bodyweight bench, so I am very strong not only by relative standards but by absolute standards too. Anyone can explain to me this phenomenom? When people say 155lbs is skinny are they mostly referring to that weight on novice lifters or non-lifters? Because I certainly look buff and strong at this weight so I’m confused. thanks.
if your hitting those numbers you are very strong. Probably in the top 1% in a normal gym. in a powerliting gym you would still be strong.
Reply 2
Original post by Mikesmith8760
if your hitting those numbers you are very strong. Probably in the top 1% in a normal gym. in a powerliting gym you would still be strong.

I know. I go to a commercial gym and I’m the strongest person in there 99% of the time. Even the very heavy guys lift less than I do. What confuses me is why I weigh so light but still look very muscular when most people online generally call that weight skinny online. Is it an optical illusion because of my proportions? I have a strong v taper, almost cartoonish.
Original post by FlexMirion
I know. I go to a commercial gym and I’m the strongest person in there 99% of the time. Even the very heavy guys lift less than I do. What confuses me is why I weigh so light but still look very muscular when most people online generally call that weight skinny online. Is it an optical illusion because of my proportions? I have a strong v taper, almost cartoonish.

are they bodybuilders? your probably stronger than most of those people in all honesty.
it could just be your frame, I used to train with a guy who was absolutely shredded and a lot bigger than me. he just seemed to be able to put the weight on and look huge whereas I stayed fairly small.
you shouldn't compare yourself to people online either, it's a downward spiral, some probably get paid just to look good and have professionals take the pics at the right angle and light to look bigger.
Do you do any "vitamins"? :biggrin: Otherwise 170cm and about 70kg is pretty much optimal. Assuming that you are not like 13 years old.
Reply 5
Original post by Mikesmith8760
are they bodybuilders? your probably stronger than most of those people in all honesty.
it could just be your frame, I used to train with a guy who was absolutely shredded and a lot bigger than me. he just seemed to be able to put the weight on and look huge whereas I stayed fairly small.
you shouldn't compare yourself to people online either, it's a downward spiral, some probably get paid just to look good and have professionals take the pics at the right angle and light to look bigger.

I objectively know I’m a strong guy, without trying to sound like a brag haha. What confuses me is the bodyweight issue and what I’ve heard people say about it online. I just guess it’s just to do to where the weight is distributed on the body, you’re right. I store a lot of my weight in my upper back, chest and shoulders. Especially shoulders, I get accused of steroids pretty often cause of my shoulders alone, very round and full look like canonballs.
Reply 6
Original post by HumanBrian
Do you do any "vitamins"? :biggrin: Otherwise 170cm and about 70kg is pretty much optimal. Assuming that you are not like 13 years old.

No I dont take anything, just train hard. I do think I have pretty good genetics and my recovery is really good because sometimes I can train twice in a day. I train everyday now. Im very happy with my weight at the moment. But what I saw people saying about the weight online put me off. Guess Im an outlier.
How old are you?
No I dont take anything, just train hard. I do think I have pretty good genetics and my recovery is really good because sometimes I can train twice in a day. I train everyday now. Im very happy with my weight at the moment. But what I saw people saying about the weight online put me off. Guess Im an outlier.
Reply 8
How old are you?

21 years old
You are ok, you just might look slim.
21 years old
Reply 10
You are ok, you just might look slim.

But thats exactly what confuses me. And people online also say that weight is “skinny” or “slim”. But I dont look slim at all at this weight, I still look very muscular. I have been gymming for a decade, I have been bulking for years to a bodyweight of 205lbs while progressively getting stronger. Then went on a cut down to 155lbs now, lost all the fat and I look very full in all muscles. Any idea why that is?
You would be skinny if your weigh was 60kg or less, the thing is if you are really lean you might look skinny because muscle mass has higher density than fat so it technically takes less space and thus makes you look bit "skinny". Lots of people are probably just jealous, again, screw them...
But thats exactly what confuses me. And people online also say that weight is “skinny” or “slim”. But I dont look slim at all at this weight, I still look very muscular. I have been gymming for a decade, I have been bulking for years to a bodyweight of 205lbs while progressively getting stronger. Then went on a cut down to 155lbs now, lost all the fat and I look very full in all muscles. Any idea why that is?
Reply 12
You would be skinny if your weigh was 60kg or less, the thing is if you are really lean you might look skinny because muscle mass has higher density than fat so it technically takes less space and thus makes you look bit "skinny". Lots of people are probably just jealous, again, screw them...

Not sure what you mean by skinny though. I dont think I look skinny at all right now, I even asked people to make sure Im being objective and they actually laughed, found it amusing and said to me ‘even a 5 year old can tell you arent skinny. You look like captain america” haha. I am happy with how I look but I wonder why Im so light on the scale. Maybe I just have a small bone structure.
Another thing if someone saw you last time while you were bulking and then again after getting leaner then you must look to them as you lost weight a.k.a. skinny... I lost lots of weight, I could not really tell by looking at me in the mirror but people that saw me twice a month could... :biggrin: If you had a "small bone structure" you would not be able to lift anything.
Not sure what you mean by skinny though. I dont think I look skinny at all right now, I even asked people to make sure Im being objective and they actually laughed, found it amusing and said to me ‘even a 5 year old can tell you arent skinny. You look like captain america” haha. I am happy with how I look but I wonder why Im so light on the scale. Maybe I just have a small bone structure.
Reply 14
Another thing if someone saw you last time while you were bulking and then again after getting leaner then you must look to them as you lost weight a.k.a. skinny... I lost lots of weight, I could not really tell by looking at me in the mirror but people that saw me twice a month could... :biggrin: If you had a "small bone structure" you would not be able to lift anything.

I had people who didnt see me in a while, and they actually said I look bigger and more muscular now at this lighter weight, its strange. Id like to add I was still a muscular guy at 205lbs haha. Wasn’t fat, just not very lean.
I went from 155kg to 92kg, so people generally noticed I am no longer causing a solar eclipse when passing by :biggrin:
I had people who didnt see me in a while, and they actually said I look bigger and more muscular now at this lighter weight, its strange. Id like to add I was still a muscular guy at 205lbs haha. Wasn’t fat, just not very lean.

Quick Reply

Latest