The Student Room Group

Finance the Future Grad Scheme 2019

Has anyone applied this year?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello! Yes I did, had the telephone interview about a week ago. How about you?
Reply 2
Hey had the telephone interview about a week ago too. Waiting impatiently for the outcome :s Seems as if there is nobody applying this year :/ Seen no threads on the forum at all. How competitive is the scheme?

Original post by jjcarson
Hello! Yes I did, had the telephone interview about a week ago. How about you?
Reply 3
Same, the lady on the phone told me to wait around 1-2 weeks so hopefully should hear back soon! And yeah I know, seems the number of applicants is getting lower and lower. I read online that normally that it's quite competitive, around 1000 applicants to 40 spaces, but who knows what it is this year :/
Original post by Zee106
Hey had the telephone interview about a week ago too. Waiting impatiently for the outcome :s Seems as if there is nobody applying this year :/ Seen no threads on the forum at all. How competitive is the scheme?
Reply 4
Woah hopefully it's not too competitive this year. This scheme looks really appealing! What boroughs did you put down as your preferences?
Reply 5
Yeah it really does! I put down Islington, Hackney and I think Lambeth, how about you?
Reply 6
Oh okay. I put down Hammersmith, Kensington and City of London.
Reply 7
Ahh that's cool, I hope we hear back soon :/
Reply 8
Yh hopefully, they're taking way too long 😣
Reply 9
Hey, I just got invited to assessment centre! Did you?
Reply 10
Hey congrats! So did I :biggrin:. What date and time did you select?
Reply 11
Hey guys

Anyone else here has got an AC on 7th May in the morning session? Are they running any other AC dates?
Thanks
Reply 12
Heyy, Yes I do. I assume there are other AC dates based on what borough you put down as your preference.
Original post by zyab
Hey guys

Anyone else here has got an AC on 7th May in the morning session? Are they running any other AC dates?
Thanks
Reply 13
Great, Shall see you there. I wonder what will be the topic for the presentation.
Reply 14
What time is your AC? There will be two sessions on the 7th and mine is at 12. I guess the presentation will be related to the current financial issues faced by the public sector, based on previous threads. The AC does seem quiet intense :s-smilie:
Hey guys. To the people invited to the assessment centre - how are you preparing for the presentation? From what I understand it is 10 minutes long - that will involve a lot of talking.
Hello, my AC date is 30th of April and I struggling with the presentation. There isn't much information out about the challenges faced by local governments. All the papers are reporting how much the cuts to local funding are effecting services provided by the local councils and how many jobs have been lost as a result of it. I am wondering if this was the right choice now? Unless the London council are unaffected by the cuts, but the rest of the country paints a bleak picture.
Reply 17
Hi Farakh

Seems you are on right track. Some of the biggest challenges facing LG are financial uncertainty, Health and social care, technology and innovation( as it lacks behind private sector), Housing and of course legal issues funding cuts in any Brexit scenario.
Good luck with your assessment center. Please let us know how it goes. I have an assessment center on 7th of May.

Original post by farakhmirza
Hello, my AC date is 30th of April and I struggling with the presentation. There isn't much information out about the challenges faced by local governments. All the papers are reporting how much the cuts to local funding are effecting services provided by the local councils and how many jobs have been lost as a result of it. I am wondering if this was the right choice now? Unless the London council are unaffected by the cuts, but the rest of the country paints a bleak picture.
Hello! I don't think you should worry too much about job cuts and what they report in the papers! Roles like this are specifically for grads to learn new skills and studying for the CIPFA greatly increases employability as well. Not to mention most industries/sectors face budget and funding issues, it's the role of finance in the public sector that works to find solutions to this and not let it effect individuals or communities.

As for the presentation, I think it's more important that you demonstrate cultural awareness and that you do your research. Since it's 20 minute Q&A, as long as you have some interesting points, have an opinion and can talk about public sector finance, I think you'll be fine. As the role is 3 years worth of studying alongside working, they want candidates that can show they're invested and are willing to put in the work.

There's some good articles that I found here:
https://www.pwc.co.uk/industries/government-public-sector/local-government.html

And there's some interesting case studies here:
https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/our-key-themes/local-government-finance/london%E2%80%99s-local-services-investing-future/london%E2%80%99s-local

Good luck with the assessment centre!!

Original post by farakhmirza
Dear jjcarson,

Thank you very much for the reply and thanks for the links. I have a question, who would you choose to work for if you have the choice? One of the big four accounting forms or local government?

Original post by jjcarson
Hello! I don't think you should worry too much about job cuts and what they report in the papers! Roles like this are specifically for grads to learn new skills and studying for the CIPFA greatly increases employability as well. Not to mention most industries/sectors face budget and funding issues, it's the role of finance in the public sector that works to find solutions to this and not let it effect individuals or communities.

As for the presentation, I think it's more important that you demonstrate cultural awareness and that you do your research. Since it's 20 minute Q&A, as long as you have some interesting points, have an opinion and can talk about public sector finance, I think you'll be fine. As the role is 3 years worth of studying alongside working, they want candidates that can show they're invested and are willing to put in the work.

There's some good articles that I found here:
https://www.pwc.co.uk/industries/government-public-sector/local-government.html

And there's some interesting case studies here:
https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/our-key-themes/local-government-finance/london%E2%80%99s-local-services-investing-future/london%E2%80%99s-local

Good luck with the assessment centre!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending