The Student Room Group

Sharing a kitchen/social area

One thing that has worried me ever since applying for university halls accommodation is the sharing of a kitchen, I have a history of OCD tendencies relating to health and infection, especially blood. If anyone can offer some advice from experience or even some words of wisdom it would be greatly appreciated:smile:
Reply 1
Terrible idea, it will never be clean. I had to move to a studio after 4 months because the staff complained the bins might attract vermin. Honestly they were always overflowing with at least 3 times the amount they could contain.

This was in private student accommodation and they were all above 20.
Original post by Frmr
One thing that has worried me ever since applying for university halls accommodation is the sharing of a kitchen, I have a history of OCD tendencies relating to health and infection, especially blood. If anyone can offer some advice from experience or even some words of wisdom it would be greatly appreciated:smile:

Normally, I'd say sharing a kitchen is fine and something you learn to cope with, but if you struggle with issues around cleanliness, then sharing a kitchen could be really hard for you. You're unlikely to have to deal with other people's blood (hopefully!) but people will often leave dirty utensils around and won't have the same standards of cleanliness.

In many flats, it's common to share some items, like milk etc, and some people may see nothing wrong with using your glasses/plates/cooking stuff as well. How would you cope with this?

It's also possible you could have to deal with people being sick in communal spaces, especially after nights out.

I'm not saying any of this is OK, and it's fine if you'd cope with these things but just be annoyed/a bit upset- that's a normal reaction. If these things would really distress you, it might be a good idea to look into studio flat type options. If your OCD is formally diagnosed, you may even be able to get financial support to pay for the difference.
I would say try and find a studio, Ive had to deal with shared kitchens for nearly 3 years now and honestly I hated every time, I get social anxiety around people judging what I eat, so I either make food at obscene times or in my room.

Next year I will be getting a studio
I'd hope that your uni accommodation wouldn't have blood in it but I do feel for you.
I was diagnosed with OCD and CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) was really helpful for me. It helps you gradually challenge some rituals and behaviour to show you that nothing bad will happen from them. I know it's really difficult but maybe see if you can get diagnosed (if you're not already) and see if it's possible to get some psychological support.
The problem is that studios are a lot more expensive. If you aren't able to get one, I'd explain it to your flatmates when you move in and maybe have a discussion about how you feel. Obviously you can't get them to live to your standards (it is uni afterall) but them being more considerate and not touching your stuff might help.
Good luck :smile:
Original post by Frmr

It won't be clean. I lived in halls first year and although it wasn't horrendous, it was still pretty grim. Crumbs everywhere, dirty pots sat for days etc.

I'm now in a shared house for 2nd year and it's a lot better although we do have 1 problem flatmate who isn't clean.

When you meet everyone just explain your OCD and hopefully they will be respectful.
Original post by Frmr

While the risk of coming in contact with blood in communal areas should be at a minimum (although you can't plan for someone accidentally cutting themselves while chopping or grating their finger for example), communal kitchens are notorious for being untidy and dirty places. My kitchen in halls was constantly greasy and messy, food detritus always left all over the worktops/sink/floor, food/equipment was used without permission (and not cleaned properly), and the bins were rarely emptied. Unfortunately you can't force people to keep to a level of cleanliness that they consider OTT or unreasonable, even if they seem understanding to begin with, so you may end up finding the kitchen a very stressful place to be.

I would recommend that you look into living in a studio, as this will eliminate the need to worry about others' mess.
Original post by Frmr

Hey, just try keep your things separate so you know they are clean etc! Try not to worry too much I'm sure it will be fine. What uni are you going to?
Sophia
Reply 8
Firstly I’d like to thank you all for the replies, they have been very helpful, for extra info I’m looking into going to Exeter University and I have since started looking into editing my options to include a studio as I think it wouldn’t be a good option for me:smile:
Original post by Frmr
Firstly I’d like to thank you all for the replies, they have been very helpful, for extra info I’m looking into going to Exeter University and I have since started looking into editing my options to include a studio as I think it wouldn’t be a good option for me:smile:

If you've got a formal diagnosis, you may be able to ask the uni for a studio as a reasonable adjustment.

If you don't, it may still be worth contacting the uni- they will want everyone to be happy in their accommodation and may prioritise studios for those who will struggle sharing space with others.

Quick Reply

Latest