The Student Room Group

Medicine in Italy in english 2019 entry

I’m an International Student & I would like to study medicine in Italy in English.

I was told the first step is ‘pre-enrollment’ and during that phase I need to get a DV (Declaration of Value - I think that’s what it stands for). How do I do that?

Thank you.
Not sure about the DV but just to warn you, Italian med schools have a reputation for corruption...
Reply 2
Original post by lilacdolphin
Not sure about the DV but just to warn you, Italian med schools have a reputation for corruption...

In terms of what exactly.. can you give me some more detail please?
Original post by Yxh
In terms of what exactly.. can you give me some more detail please?

I've heard that a lot of students can pass exams etc by paying off their tutors etc rather than by academic merit. This is just what I've heard but I've heard this kind of thing from a few places.
Reply 4
and how accurate is this source?
Reply 5
I've heard that a lot of students can pass exams etc by paying off their tutors etc rather than by academic merit. This is just what I've heard but I've heard this kind of thing from a few places.

How accurate is this source?
(Original post by Yxh)
How accurate is this source?

I can't remember where I heard this, sorry, it was quite a few years ago when I was first looking at medical schools. My mum and I both heard it separately though. It might not be a problem and might have just been a historical thing, but I thought I should let you know.
Reply 7
(Original post by Yxh)
I can't remember where I heard this, sorry, it was quite a few years ago when I was first looking at medical schools. My mum and I both heard it separately though. It might not be a problem and might have just been a historical thing, but I thought I should let you know.

Thank you so much, but after not getting into my top 2 unis in the UK I don’t really want to go there anymore and I can’t take a gap year. Where would you suggest I apply?
Original post by Yxh
Thank you so much, but after not getting into my top 2 unis in the UK I don’t really want to go there anymore and I can’t take a gap year. Where would you suggest I apply?

I'm not sure where is still taking applications to start in 2019 unfortunately. I applied to the Republic of Ireland as well as the UK, and I had also looked briefly at the Netherlands but I'm pretty sure the application deadline has passed for both of them.
Sorry I can't be of much help! Good luck!!
Reply 9
I'm not sure where is still taking applications to start in 2019 unfortunately. I applied to the Republic of Ireland as well as the UK, and I had also looked briefly at the Netherlands but I'm pretty sure the application deadline has passed for both of them.
Sorry I can't be of much help! Good luck!!

No worries. Yeah Ireland has passed & I believe Netherlands only teaches in Dutch. Where did you end up going?
Original post by Yxh
No worries. Yeah Ireland has passed & I believe Netherlands only teaches in Dutch. Where did you end up going?

Netherlands also teaches in English at the University of Groeningan (idk if I spelt that correctly)
https://www.medschool.it/ is a good starting point

Milan seems to be quite good.

"As far as entry requirements: you need this thing called a DV (declarazione di Valore - certificate of equivalency).

4 step process: You take your GCSE and A-level certificates and take them to a local solicitor asking for "certified copies". This does not take long - maybe 2 hours at max.

Take these Certified copies and send them off to somewhere in Milton Keynes to get them "Apostilled". This takes about 2 weeks, if you're lucky.

With your apostilled certified copies, together with your original certificates (God knows why) and many passport photos (you will need loads of these later - make em pretty ones) you take them down to the Italian consulate in London (136 Buckingham Palace Road), to get the Apostille Stamped and the DV. This final step should "take you about 30 days"...

Requirements for the DV (for Brits) is to show that you have been in full time education for 13 years. I cannot remember seeing anywhere that minimum grades were required - but I assume the entrance test accommodates for this.

Somewhere along the line, you need your certificates translated into Italian to bring with you to registration in Italy.

General theme throughout: Start early as hiccups are bound to happen, and make many passport photos and photocopies and bring these with you to Italy for registration." - copied from https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1988517
Original post by Yxh

I ended up at Aberdeen, but I had been absolutely panicking about not getting any UK offers so hence my ROI application lol
Reply 13
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet

"As far as entry requirements: you need this thing called a DV (declarazione di Valore - certificate of equivalency).

4 step process: You take your GCSE and A-level certificates and take them to a local solicitor asking for "certified copies". This does not take long - maybe 2 hours at max.

Take these Certified copies and send them off to somewhere in Milton Keynes to get them "Apostilled". This takes about 2 weeks, if you're lucky.

With your apostilled certified copies, together with your original certificates (God knows why) and many passport photos (you will need loads of these later - make em pretty ones) you take them down to the Italian consulate in London (136 Buckingham Palace Road), to get the Apostille Stamped and the DV. This final step should "take you about 30 days"...

Requirements for the DV (for Brits) is to show that you have been in full time education for 13 years. I cannot remember seeing anywhere that minimum grades were required - but I assume the entrance test accommodates for this.

Somewhere along the line, you need your certificates translated into Italian to bring with you to registration in Italy.

General theme throughout: Start early as hiccups are bound to happen, and make many passport photos and photocopies and bring these with you to Italy for registration." - copied from https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1988517

Thank you so much, but I’m an international student so I can’t do half of these steps this way, gotta follow a different route. Also, I’m in year 13 so I still don’t have achieved A level grades, would that be a problem or can I still apply for the DV? I have AS Levels though.
Reply 14
Original post by arpereira
Netherlands also teaches in English at the University of Groeningan (idk if I spelt that correctly)

Is that a good university? I’ll look more into it!

https://www.rug.nl/bachelors/in-english

I can’t seem to find medicine?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
I ended up at Aberdeen, but I had been absolutely panicking about not getting any UK offers so hence my ROI application lol

That’s really good! wishing you the best of luck there :smile: - panicking is necessary.
Reply 16

You will be surprised how many Asian students enter British unis without having good English. Corruption is everywhere.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet

This was my understanding of the process but I lost my A2 certificates a couple of years ago and the exam board I took the exam with don’t replace lost certificates they only provide certified summary of results. Can this still be apostilled? Also I went to uni for 2 years and have a level 4 qualification, is this equivalent to an IB diploma which if you have this apparently you don’t need to obtain a DOV. Any chance you know what process I could undergo with this?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending