The Student Room Group

I want to study Medicine

I want to study medicine how can I get
Original post by Kamil ismail
I want to study medicine how can I get

Where do you currently live and where do you want to study? What qualifications do you have?
Medicine is ultra competitive, the best of the best sometimes don't get into medical school...

You've struggled to build a sentence.
@Kamil ismail. 1st port of call https://www.themedicportal.com/. Bear in mind roughly 1 applicant in 10 gets into med school so expect to be competing with some very high achievers (top grades is a given, you'll need to demonstrate other great qualities too). Good luck!

Ouch guys, true but oh so brutal! :tongue:
"By doing your own research?"
"If you want to study medicine you better be willing to do a bit of research yourself!"
"Medicine is ultra competitive, the best of the best sometimes don't get into medical school...
You've struggled to build a sentence."
Reply 4
Original post by Splishsplash
@Kamil ismail. 1st port of call https://www.themedicportal.com/. Bear in mind roughly 1 applicant in 10 gets into med school so expect to be competing with some very high achievers (top grades is a given, you'll need to demonstrate other great qualities too). Good luck!

Ouch guys, true but oh so brutal! :tongue:
"By doing your own research?"
"If you want to study medicine you better be willing to do a bit of research yourself!"
"Medicine is ultra competitive, the best of the best sometimes don't get into medical school...
You've struggled to build a sentence."

Actually 1 applicant in 3 gets into Med School. From memory 22,340 applicants for 7,500 places on a national basis. Of course, individual Med Schools may have 10 applicants for each place, but each applcant applies to 4 med schools.
Hi @meddad, if you look at https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf for 2018 entry, it lists every unis application to place ratio. I've not summarised all of them, but randomly selecting a few for home / EU students standard entry medicine, Aberdeen was 10.9, Brighton 14.3, Birmingham 6.7, Nottingham 10.1, Oxford 9. I do agree with you that every applicant can apply to a max of 4 schools.
Original post by meddad
Actually 1 applicant in 3 gets into Med School. From memory 22,340 applicants for 7,500 places on a national basis. Of course, individual Med Schools may have 10 applicants for each place, but each applcant applies to 4 med schools.
Reply 6
Hi @meddad, if you look at https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf for 2018 entry, it lists every unis application to place ratio. I've not summarised all of them, but randomly selecting a few for home / EU students standard entry medicine, Aberdeen was 10.9, Brighton 14.3, Birmingham 6.7, Nottingham 10.1, Oxford 9. I do agree with you that every applicant can apply to a max of 4 schools.

Those are individual med schools. Nationally there are 22,000 applicants for 7,500 places for uk/eu applicants. Because each applicant applies for 4 med schools it generates 88,000 applications which inflates the competition ratios to make it look 4 times more difficult to be successful.

The fact is that if you apply for medicine in the uk there is a 1 in 3 chance of being successful in getting onto the course. These are national UK statistics from UCAS I'm quoting.

Also if you want to look at success ratios for individual med schools you are better looking at offers to applications, rather than places to applications. There are often 2 times or more number of offers made for each available place to take account of applicants with multiple offers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Kinda true although I think the truth lies somewhere in between the two.
If you take the UCAS stats, it’s 1:3 with the assumptions that your strengths are such that you can apply to any med school (so you will have great GCSEs, UCAT, BMAT, studying chem & bio, willing to go to any uni and satisfying whatever else the selectors are looking for). Most will not and have preferences where they want/have to apply. Looking at applications to offers ratios is also good.
Original post by meddad
Those are individual med schools. Nationally there are 22,000 applicants for 7,500 places for uk/eu applicants. Because each applicant applies for 4 med schools it generates 88,000 applications which inflates the competition ratios to make it look 4 times more difficult to be successful.

The fact is that if you apply for medicine in the uk there is a 1 in 3 chance of being successful in getting onto the course. These are national UK statistics from UCAS I'm quoting.

Also if you want to look at success ratios for individual med schools you are better looking at offers to applications, rather than places to applications. There are often 2 times or more number of offers made for each available place to take account of applicants with multiple offers.
Reply 8
Kinda true although I think the truth lies somewhere in between the two.
If you take the UCAS stats, it’s 1:3 with the assumptions that your strengths are such that you can apply to any med school (so you will have great GCSEs, UCAT, BMAT, studying chem & bio, willing to go to any uni and satisfying whatever else the selectors are looking for). Most will not and have preferences where they want/have to apply. Looking at applications to offers ratios is also good.

Of course, it's true that some applicants will be stronger than others and will have a better chance of success. That's true for any competitive entry process. For example, some applicants will still apply even though their academic achievement isn't at a level to get an interview, whereas others will have academics and UCAT which guarantees them 4 interviews. Of those who get interviews some will get no offers, others will get one offer or more.

Statistically though 1 in 3 of all uk/eu applicants will get a place - not 1 in 10 as you suggested in your original post.
(edited 4 years ago)
You flexing @meddad with your last sentence?

I’d moved on and had suggested in my subsequent posts that while it’s not 1:10, it’s not as easy as 1:3 for most but really depends on your uni choices & circumstances. I’ll stop talking now.
Original post by meddad
Of course, it's true that some applicants will be stronger than others and will have a better chance of success. That's true for any competitive entry process. For example, some applicants will still apply even though their academic achievement isn't at a level to get an interview, whereas others will have academics and UCAT which guarantees them 4 interviews. Of those who get interviews some will get no offers, others will get one offer or more.

Statistically though 1 in 3 of all uk/eu applicants will get a place - not 1 in 10 as you suggested in your original post.
Reply 10
You flexing @meddad with your last sentence?

I’d moved on and had suggested in my subsequent posts that while it’s not 1:10, it’s not as easy as 1:3 for most but really depends on your uni choices & circumstances. I’ll stop talking now.

Maybe an unintended blunt response on my part.

No intention to "flex" with anyone who's helping out with good responses on TSR.

Quick Reply