The Student Room Group

Debenhams gone into administration

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Themysticalegg
Yeah I feel bad for them also though. I remember at WHSmith at an airport I HAD to scan 80% of boarding passes and many people reacted angriliy. (Not actually sure what would happen to me if i didn't achieve that I was too young, innocent and naive at 16.)

Now I always just let them scan my boarding pass because I feel bad for them even though I know it's just free market research that they would otherwise of had to pay for, hence why they were so pushy about the 80% target.

It's when they don't take no as an answer the first time round that annoys me.

Boarding passes... urgh. Unless a retailer is going to give me a discount if I let them scan my boarding pass, then I'm not going to scan it.
Not sure what they even sell, never been in one. As with all these thing's it's the companies fault for failing to adapt to consumer needs. Feel sorry for the employees who are losing their jobs but the actual shop itself is no great loss.
Original post by Blue_Cow

Boarding passes... urgh. Unless a retailer is going to give me a discount if I let them scan my boarding pass, then I'm not going to scan it.

Problem is we are pawns who do as our company tell us to do. We get shouted at for it even though we're just doing as we're told by the big kings and queens at the top of the food chain. :frown: Same when I worked in a call centre. I feel so much sympathy for call centre workers/retail workers who are pushy to fulfil their KPIs from personal experience that I am fully patient no matter what they decide to throw at me.
Original post by Blue_Cow

Yeah- I accept people at the tills have pressure put on them to offer you loyalty cards/discounted items, but if I decline politely, then they should back off.

My answer re loyalty cards always used to be that I had one at home but had forgotten to bring it with me, but this now always leads to lots of faffing around with validating the receipt etc, so it's easier just to say no and insist.

I only really buy make-up in Debenhams, so I only usually deal with concession staff rather than store employees, and they tend to be less pushy about store cards and things like that.
Original post by CoolCavy
Not sure what they even sell, never been in one. As with all these thing's it's the companies fault for failing to adapt to consumer needs. Feel sorry for the employees who are losing their jobs but the actual shop itself is no great loss.

Yep they employ over 27,000 people apparently. On the one hand Mike Ashley wants to take them over and on the other hand the current shareholders which are mainly Barclays and the Bank of Ireland. What do they have in common? They do not care about the employees at all and only want to strip the company of their assets, the people are the top do not care about the people who lose their livelihoods, it's a sad state of affairs. :frown:
Yep they employ over 27,000 people apparently. On the one hand Mike Ashley wants to take them over and on the other hand the current shareholders which are mainly Barclays and the Bank of Ireland. What do they have in common? They do not care about the employees at all and only want to strip the company of their assets, the people are the top do not care about the people who lose their livelihoods, it's a sad state of affairs. :frown:

Yes very true, often workers are treated dreadfully when shops collapse. I remember when BHS was going under it was the last day or something and the workers in the one in my city were still on their feet serving despite knowing they were being laid off tomorrow.
Original post by CoolCavy
Yes very true, often workers are treated dreadfully when shops collapse. I remember when BHS was going under it was the last day or something and the workers in the one in my city were still on their feet serving despite knowing they were being laid off tomorrow.

Oh no I remember that too :frown:
I work at House of Fraser and we've just had a bunch of old people saying that 'it's so sad' because us and Debenhams are the 2 major shops on the high street. If someone could just end me now that would be great :laugh:
I do think actually Debenhams going into administration could hurt quite a lot of high end make-up brands. A lot of them only have concessions in Debenhams and HoF having pulled out of Boots etc. Benefit especially spring to mind- a lot of their brow-bars are in Debenhams and that seems like a big part of their business model. Urban Decay is another, as well as Bare Minerals.

On the one hand, if they go back into Boots etc, or more move over to HoF it will help those stores, but on the other hand it might just make some brands harder to find on the high street =/
thanks Brexit, you are letting Bri'un take control of its high streets once more
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I do think actually Debenhams going into administration could hurt quite a lot of high end make-up brands. A lot of them only have concessions in Debenhams and HoF having pulled out of Boots etc. Benefit especially spring to mind- a lot of their brow-bars are in Debenhams and that seems like a big part of their business model. Urban Decay is another, as well as Bare Minerals.

On the one hand, if they go back into Boots etc, or more move over to HoF it will help those stores, but on the other hand it might just make some brands harder to find on the high street =/

Never thought about it like that a very good point, I guess they're going to have to venture more heavily online.
Never thought about it like that a very good point, I guess they're going to have to venture more heavily online.

I guess so- but Benefit can't do eyebrows online! I wonder if they'll start setting up salons?

I'm a major fan of high end make-up but because of my skin tone, I need to "try before I buy" with everything, so if a brand doesn't have a high street presence, I just don't buy from them. I know I'm the exception in this case, not the rule though!
Original post by fallen_acorns
I imagine in the end they will just be waitrose supermarkets + a handfull of shops in iconic/rich places that can still sustain them.

Even that is best case scenario as apparently while Waitrose is the most profitable part of John Lewis Partnership, its main selling point was customer service, something that has been steadily cut back to cut costs, making them more vulnerable to competition from other supermarket chains along with their competitors making improvements to their customer service matching most of what Waitrose used to solely offer, another issue is the inevitable pension crisis, unlike other corporations it requires all a majority vote of all partners to make pension cuts to balance the budget, so far it's failed to get a majority.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending