The Student Room Group

The sprint to getting all 8s/9s at GCSE

I'm a huge procrastinator and haven't taken any of my mocks seriously which is I guess great for me... sighs but I'm going to try and work hard for the remaining days to get all 8s/9s
My recent March mocks that I did without any revision were medicore and high key disgusting because I know my lazy ass is capable of achieving a lot more. :frown:

Spoiler

Vs the grades I want

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
why are you procrastinating? You are never going to get those 8/9 if you don't work hard for them.

But, there is good news if you are willing to invest a lot of time and effort in these remaining weeks to the exam you will get 8/9's if your revision is effective.

What did you get in mocks? I got 6's and 7's
Reply 2
Original post by rockyball89
why are you procrastinating? You are never going to get those 8/9 if you don't work hard for them.

But, there is good news if you are willing to invest a lot of time and effort in these remaining weeks to the exam you will get 8/9's if your revision is effective.

What did you get in mocks? I got 6's and 7's

Yeah I'm averaging 7s mostly with one 6. it's just not hitting me that I have the real GCSEs ah I'm so incredibly lazy
This is what a sixth former said to me at my school. Just because, you get good mocks doesn't mean you'll pass your GCSEs. Your mocks were only done against your school so imagine when they are weighed against the whole country. So imagine whatever grade you get in your mocks 2 grades below. That should encourage you. So for me the 6's and 7's are like 5's and 4's and that has really pushed me to work hard.

Original post by kkai
Yeah I'm averaging 7s mostly with one 6. it's just not hitting me that I have the real GCSEs ah I'm so incredibly lazy
Reply 4
This is what a sixth former said to me at my school. Just because, you get good mocks doesn't mean you'll pass your GCSEs. Your mocks were only done against your school so imagine when they are weighed against the whole country. So imagine whatever grade you get in your mocks 2 grades below. That should encourage you. So for me the 6's and 7's are like 5's and 4's and that has really pushed me to work hard.

ok that is actually quite scary ... I think I'm going to use this as motivation to work harder. Hows your revision going and how much do you think I should do considering I haven't been full on revising.. like 10 hours a day
Reply 5
to be honest, from my gcse's last year especially for history i only revised for two tests out of 4 and i managed to get a 7 when i usually used to get like 4/5 in class (our teacher was really strict) which made me kinda hopeless for history. But honestly now that i think back to it, if i hadn't of lost motivation i perhaps could have gotten 8/9. But it doesn't matter now because i'm qualified enough for doing in my a levels and it's suprisingly much easier than gcses lol.
im planning to start on wednesday because, I'm planning to basically wake up at 4 everyday until school and just revise for the whole day. I didn't do this at the start of the holiday because, I know I will burn out. So I'm gonna work until 12am and repeat the same thing. I know it sounds crazy but I can survive on 5 hours I've been doing that for my whole life. Honestly, it doesn't mamatter how many hours you do it's how productive it is for you. For me, I can focus for long hours e.g. 3 hours doing past papers and brief notes from a textbook but, I can't focus that much around other people e.g. in class because, it's so distracting. Goodluck
Original post by kkai
ok that is actually quite scary ... I think I'm going to use this as motivation to work harder. Hows your revision going and how much do you think I should do considering I haven't been full on revising.. like 10 hours a day
and the panic kicks in 😭 it is a very good point though! At my school, I sat last years papers (I believe most ppl do, im not actually too sure) and we followed the grade boundaries for those exams, so I don't know if I should still allow the whole -2 grades rule because I was under the same conditions just more time pressured - idk.
ooh good luck, I may not know you but I believe in you!!! go get those 8/9s!!!!! 😂
im planning to start on wednesday because, I'm planning to basically wake up at 4 everyday until school and just revise for the whole day. I didn't do this at the start of the holiday because, I know I will burn out. So I'm gonna work until 12am and repeat the same thing. I know it sounds crazy but I can survive on 5 hours I've been doing that for my whole life. Honestly, it doesn't mamatter how many hours you do it's how productive it is for you. For me, I can focus for long hours e.g. 3 hours doing past papers and brief notes from a textbook but, I can't focus that much around other people e.g. in class because, it's so distracting. Goodluck
I don't know if it is only me, But, I feel like none of the year 11's this year are actually 100% confident and ready, Everyone is panicking. But, I may be wrong. If you used last years paper the same rules appy, because, in mocks you don't do like 25 exams you only do like half the amount of papers you would need for your actual GCSEs. Hows your revision going?
Original post by heckinbamboozled
and the panic kicks in 😭 it is a very good point though! At my school, I sat last years papers (I believe most ppl do, im not actually too sure) and we followed the grade boundaries for those exams, so I don't know if I should still allow the whole -2 grades rule because I was under the same conditions just more time pressured - idk.
Reply 10

From personal experience, that really won't work out. It's a bad habit to get into (wouldn't want to be doing that for a whole two years for A-Levels), you will most likely burn out quite quickly & sleeping 4-5 hours, however manageable it is to you, will just deteriorate your health - not to mention the inefficiency of your revision with a lack of sleep. I'd recommend something more reasonable, this sounds too crazy to me mate. Hopefully you can find something that works for you, though.
Reply 11
I don't know if it is only me, But, I feel like none of the year 11's this year are actually 100% confident and ready, Everyone is panicking. But, I may be wrong. If you used last years paper the same rules appy, because, in mocks you don't do like 25 exams you only do like half the amount of papers you would need for your actual GCSEs

That's true.. yikes well I really need to get revising then.Goodluck everyone!
Thanks! That's a good point. I literally can't sleep more than 5 hours I've tried sleeping for 6/7/8 and I just feel so tired and exhausted throughout the day. I've been sleeping this amount of hours for the whole of my life and I never feel tired and I sleep at 12pm everyday!
Original post by Sigmah
From personal experience, that really won't work out. It's a bad habit to get into (wouldn't want to be doing that for a whole two years for A-Levels), you will most likely burn out quite quickly & sleeping 4-5 hours, however manageable it is to you, will just deteriorate your health - not to mention the inefficiency of your revision with a lack of sleep. I'd recommend something more reasonable, this sounds too crazy to me mate. Hopefully you can find something that works for you, though.
I don't know if it is only me, But, I feel like none of the year 11's this year are actually 100% confident and ready, Everyone is panicking. But, I may be wrong. If you used last years paper the same rules appy, because, in mocks you don't do like 25 exams you only do like half the amount of papers you would need for your actual GCSEs. Hows your revision going?

my school actually got us to do every single paper!! like im talking around 25 papers, it was hell, they were all crammed into 2 weeks and I had 3 exams most days 😭😭 revision is going ok, I haven't done too much as I have just revised heavily for my mocks which finished a week ago today but I am slowly picking up the pace and doing more English lit revision. Hbu??
Reply 14
Thanks! That's a good point. I literally can't sleep more than 5 hours I've tried sleeping for 6/7/8 and I just feel so tired and exhausted throughout the day. I've been sleeping this amount of hours for the whole of my life and I never feel tired and I sleep at 12pm everyday!

12am you mean? sure, you may have something like insomnia. perhaps you have gotten used to going on 5 hours of sleep, so trying to sleep more or less is going to be difficult to get used to. if you're not up to the task of getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night, at least have a good breakfast & make sure you're hydrated, your body will thank you.
Reply 15
Thread has been yeeted to the Grow Your Grades forum.
Best of luck with your targets! No subject is unconquerable.
Reply 16
Original post by kkai
I'm a huge procrastinator and haven't taken any of my mocks seriously which is I guess great for me... sighs but I'm going to try and work hard for the remaining days to get all 8s/9s
My recent March mocks that I did without any revision were medicore and high key disgusting because I know my lazy ass is capable of achieving a lot more. :frown:

Spoiler

Vs the grades I want

Spoiler

Yesterday, I did two poems and an essay plan. I have gone through all the poems in the poetry anthology now and just need to make small flashcards/essay plans. I did a past paper on maths too.
Reply 17
Original post by kkai

Spoiler

Vs the grades I want

Spoiler

The three main goals are:
Finish Macbeth, A Christmas Carol and Poetry flashcards.
Memorize the Science Paper and do plenty of maths past papers as well as working on the weak topics.

Quick Reply

Latest