The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Portsmouth Degree Classification Help

Hi, does anyone know if it is true that if you get a total of 6 firsts in 6 modules across second and third year that you will get a first in your degree?

I've heard this from other students in my year and the Dan Harper uni grade calculator also suggests this.

Thank you
This document explains it better. Basically though the calculator is correct. This is easily the most confusing of the three methods. But also the most rewarding for someone who did well in the second year but not the final year.
If (like me) you have 120 in year 2 and the same in year 3, then after discounting the worst 20 from each year you have a total of 200 "relevant" credits. According to the document you need more than half at the specified classification level or above.
So 120 credits (6x 20 credit units) at 1st is needed to get a first. If you don't have then then it goes to 120 credit at 2:1 (60%) or above, etc.

However if you got all 1st in your second year and no firsts in your final year then you would not get a 1st, because one of the 2nd year 1st's would be the "worst" unit and would be discounted.

As far as I can see you could get results like this: - See page 3 of the PDF I linked for a similar example.
2nd Year: 70, 70, 70, 70, 70, 40
3rd Year: 70, 40, 40, 40, 40, 40
and still get a first with this system! No wonder most Portsmouth grad at least get a 2:1!

As far as "know if it is true" I don't as I haven't actually asked anyone, you could always email the Uni? But I doubt they would put it in those documents if it was made up!

TLDR; Yes as long as your six units are not all in one year you will be given a 1st. (Assuming these are 20 credit modules)
(edited 5 years ago)
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hi @LRE

You can ask your personal tutor to help with this, or your course leader.

They will be able to look at what you have already obtained and see what you need to get to receive a First overall.

If you don't know who your course leader is, or their email address.

Let me know what course you are on and I'll find out for you.

Thanks

Alex - UoP Rep :smile:
Original post by LRE
Hi, does anyone know if it is true that if you get a total of 6 firsts in 6 modules across second and third year that you will get a first in your degree?

I've heard this from other students in my year and the Dan Harper uni grade calculator also suggests this.

Thank you
Or enter your second and final year using the calculator provided by the university to work out your degree classification.
http://code.danharper.me/portsdegree/
With the calculations you need - if you have to use your dissertation grade where this is a 40 credits unit if this was the worst unit in final year can you discredit 20 of the 40 credits or do you have to disregard a different unit that has 20 credits?Thank you in advance!!!!!
Not sure about discrediting half of your 40 credit of your dissertation unit. You may have to contact your course supervisor. However, discrediting other unit with 20 credit is viable.
Original post by PompeyStudent
With the calculations you need - if you have to use your dissertation grade where this is a 40 credits unit if this was the worst unit in final year can you discredit 20 of the 40 credits or do you have to disregard a different unit that has 20 credits?Thank you in advance!!!!!
you can't discredit 20 credits from your disso it's got to be a unit worth 20 credits! had to check this the other day with official staff at uni!
Original post by Valid_user
Not sure about discrediting half of your 40 credit of your dissertation unit. You may have to contact your course supervisor. However, discrediting other unit with 20 credit is viable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending