The Student Room Group

Student Finance Eligibility

Would I be able to apply for student finance if I’m a child of someone that has got residency in the UK? My mum just got her residency after staying in the UK for 10 years but I just have further leave to remain (not a resident yet). I’ve stayed in the UK for nearly 5 years.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I found this bit in the website where it says “granted leave to remain or a child of someone granted leave to remain”.

1288B5ED-153F-4C88-B351-D420F24ADF3B.png
Hi there,

Can you please confirm your nationality? Is your Mum an EU National?

Warm regards,
Graeme
Original post by pjcarsolon
I found this bit in the website where it says “granted leave to remain or a child of someone granted leave to remain”.

1288B5ED-153F-4C88-B351-D420F24ADF3B.png
Reply 3
I’m from Philippines and no, my mum isn’t an EU. But she’s got her residency last year November and is applying for citizenship this year.
Alright, thanks. As for yourself, you said you have limited leave to remain - do you plan to apply for indefinite leave anytime soon?

Warm regards,
Graeme
I’m from Philippines and no, my mum isn’t an EU. But she’s got her residency last year November and is applying for citizenship this year.
Reply 5
I don’t think I can apply anytime soon since I’m still waiting for my limited leave to remain (currently on 3C leave).
Original post by Graeme SFE
Alright, thanks. As for yourself, you said you have limited leave to remain - do you plan to apply for indefinite leave anytime soon?

Warm regards,
Graeme
Okay, last question: does your Mum have Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Warm regards,
Graeme
I don’t think I can apply anytime soon since I’m still waiting for my limited leave to remain (currently on 3C leave).
Reply 7
Yes she received her Indefinite Leave to Remain last Nov. 2018.

Okay, last question: does your Mum have Indefinite Leave to Remain?

Warm regards,
Graeme
Alright - if you have Limited Leave to Remain, you can only apply for student finance if you can meet the Long Residency criteria. Based on what you've said, that's not possible in your case, unfortunately.

However, your Mum has Indefinite Leave to Remain; which makes her a British National. British Nationals are also EU Nationals, so you could potentially apply for EU funding as the child of an EU National. If accepted, this will allow you to claim the Tuition Fee Loan.

Warm regards,
Graeme
Yes she received her Indefinite Leave to Remain last Nov. 2018.
Reply 9
I’ve just called SFE and told them what I’ve said in this thread. What they said is that I have to be a child of an EEA national or an EU national. What does that make me? Is UK not part of EEA? If I apply, would my application be even accessed?
Alright - if you have Limited Leave to Remain, you can only apply for student finance if you can meet the Long Residency criteria. Based on what you've said, that's not possible in your case, unfortunately.

However, your Mum has Indefinite Leave to Remain; which makes her a British National. British Nationals are also EU Nationals, so you could potentially apply for EU funding as the child of an EU National. If accepted, this will allow you to claim the Tuition Fee Loan.

Warm regards,
Graeme
Hi

The UK is an EU member state, which is also part of the EEA. Therefore if mother is now a British National, you could potentially apply for EU funding as the child of an EU National.

Thanks
I’ve just called SFE and told them what I’ve said in this thread. What they said is that I have to be a child of an EEA national or an EU national. What does that make me? Is UK not part of EEA? If I apply, would my application be even accessed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending