The Student Room Group

Self studying A levels during a gap year

hi i would like some advice on self studying a levels, is it hard?
im planning on taking a gap year before uni and im doing a btec engineering lvl 3 which some unis will take for certain engineering courses but some unis also want an A level in maths, i was alright at maths in secondary school and its a subject which i like a lot, so would it be hard to learn it all within one year?
has anyone else done this and do you know the process of how im meant to sit the exam, i know i have to pay a fee but does anyone know how the process works ? thanks..
Reply 1
I have no idea of the process however I can tell you A-levels are very hard especially without a teacher. It would be quite difficult to learn all of a level maths in one year but it is doable if you are decently good at maths. I wouldn’t do a level maths unless you got a A at GCSE as it is much harder. If you did additional it shouldn’t be too bad as the content is often repeated.
Original post by bob981
I have no idea of the process however I can tell you A-levels are very hard especially without a teacher. It would be quite difficult to learn all of a level maths in one year but it is doable if you are decently good at maths. I wouldn’t do a level maths unless you got a A at GCSE as it is much harder. If you did additional it shouldn’t be too bad as the content is often repeated.

i got an 8 and im kind of quick in learning things in maths, i also got an A in further maths gcse, i just need a bit of help with the process and i do understand that its quite hard as my friends are telling me that are doing it currently
Reply 3
Original post by verycoolperson
i got an 8 and im kind of quick in learning things in maths, i also got an A in further maths gcse, i just need a bit of help with the process and i do understand that its quite hard as my friends are telling me that are doing it currently

If you got a A in further it shouldn’t be a problem!
thanks a lot for the help, ive heard scary things about a level maths lol, do you know about further maths A level? how hard is that?
dude further maths a level is a big step up. I would recommend checking some past papers for it and deciding if you really are capable of doing it. I mean that with no offence lol but its considered to be the hardest a level. If you feel like you can do it then go ahead!
best of luck
thanks a lot for the help, ive heard scary things about a level maths lol, do you know about further maths A level? how hard is that?
Original post by BurntToast101
dude further maths a level is a big step up. I would recommend checking some past papers for it and deciding if you really are capable of doing it. I mean that with no offence lol but its considered to be the hardest a level. If you feel like you can do it then go ahead!
best of luck

lol yeh ive heard its the hardest a level as well just wondering about it
thanks for the help
Reply 7

I don’t do further maths however I had a look at a few papers and it makes a-level look like a gcse paper
damn sounds scary lol thanks a lot for the advice :smile: ! much appreciated
guess you must be really good at maths lol

Original post by bob981
I don’t do further maths however I had a look at a few papers and it makes a-level look like a gcse paper
Reply 10
Original post by BurntToast101
guess you must be really good at maths lol

Not really, I got an A at a level but if I were to have done further I think I would struggle to get a decent grade!
Reply 11
hi i would like some advice on self studying a levels, is it hard?
im planning on taking a gap year before uni and im doing a btec engineering lvl 3 which some unis will take for certain engineering courses but some unis also want an A level in maths, i was alright at maths in secondary school and its a subject which i like a lot, so would it be hard to learn it all within one year?
has anyone else done this and do you know the process of how im meant to sit the exam, i know i have to pay a fee but does anyone know how the process works ? thanks..

Honestly, working by yourself could be a lot more useful than having teachers. Depending on the school you go to, they could be quite awful like mine. Teaching yourself has benefits and all you really have to do is know your exam board, study through the specification and do past papers and if you consistently do that you’re guaranteed an A-A*. I don’t do furthermaths but ive head from some of my friends that do it that it’s not that bad, they are really smart though so it depends
damn sounds scary lol thanks a lot for the advice :smile: ! much appreciated

I think it would be challenging to do Maths and F Maths in a year :smile:

There are great resources for Maths A level here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

Edexcel is probably the best to go for -
Original post by Jinwon
Honestly, working by yourself could be a lot more useful than having teachers. Depending on the school you go to, they could be quite awful like mine. Teaching yourself has benefits and all you really have to do is know your exam board, study through the specification and do past papers and if you consistently do that you’re guaranteed an A-A*. I don’t do furthermaths but ive head from some of my friends that do it that it’s not that bad, they are really smart though so it depends

i agree i feel like its more useful for me in certain subjects, thanks a lot for the advice!
Original post by Muttley79
I think it would be challenging to do Maths and F Maths in a year :smile:

There are great resources for Maths A level here: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

Edexcel is probably the best to go for -

yes it would definitely be challenging and thanks, i havent really looked at the different exam boards, do you know the differences? also do you know the process of paying and sitting the exam?

thank you both very much!
i agree i feel like its more useful for me in certain subjects, thanks a lot for the advice!

yes it would definitely be challenging and thanks, i havent really looked at the different exam boards, do you know the differences? also do you know the process of paying and sitting the exam?

thank you both very much!

Edexcel has the most resources so it's a good choice. You can search for an exam centre on their website but it might be worth talking to your old school .
Specification: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/mathematics-2017.html

Private entries: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/registrations-and-entries/academic-registrations-and-entries/private-candidates.html

Search: https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/understanding-our-qualifications/where-can-i-take-edexcel-exams.html

wow those links are really nice! thanks a lot you have been very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending