The Student Room Group

Opinions: Have the Brexiteers of Leave.EU gone too far?

This morning Brexiteer campaign group Leave.EU posted a provocative tweet about Jeremy Corbyn, his opinions on UK legal aid funding to appeal the decision to strip British citizenship from terrorists and a self-confessed female member of terrorist org Isis-Daesh.
Screenshot of tweet attached.

Direct tweet link is:
https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/1117789515366719488

Who agrees with the tweet?
Who has concerns with the wording/sentiments expressed?
Or the fact that Leave.EU seems to be making a habit of going well beyond its core purpose of Brexit campaigning?

Scroll to see replies

They are just typical edgy right wing, that lack a basic understanding of the law.

They can express whatever they like as long as it isn't threatening or abusive.
Reply 2
Original post by Decahedron
They are just typical edgy right wing, that lack a basic understanding of the law.

From what I know of Leave.EU, they have access to a panel of in-house lawyers.
Plus external legal advisers from heavyweight firms like Mishcon de Reya representing the business/personal interests of Arron Banks.

I think that they were a bit aggressive in their rhetoric and when it came to singling out Corbyn.
But then again he is a political party leader with notoriously poor judgement and the knack of inadvertently assisting his opponents at times when they need all the help they can get.
Reply 3
Theyre a bunch of crackpot dullards, are we surprised?
We have JRM fellating neo-nazis, Farage bending over to the small handed wotsit and the rest of them have all disgraced themselves through various lies, racism, anti-antisemitism and so on.
It should be clear to even the most ignorant of people that the Brextremeists are a bunch of bounders and cads... or at least put in the stocks for the disgraceful crimes against the nation they have committed.
Original post by londonmyst
From what I know of Leave.EU, they have access to a panel of in-house lawyers.
Plus external legal advisers from heavyweight firms like Mishcon de Reya representing the business/personal interests of Arron Banks.

I think that they were a bit aggressive in their rhetoric and when it came to singling out Corbyn.
But then again he is a political party leader with notoriously poor judgement and the knack of inadvertently assisting his opponents at times when they need all the help they can get.

All businesses have legal support that doesn't mean they go to them for every misguided social media post.
This morning Brexiteer campaign group Leave.EU posted a provocative tweet about Jeremy Corbyn, his opinions on UK legal aid funding to appeal the decision to strip British citizenship from terrorists and a self-confessed female member of terrorist org Isis-Daesh.

Direct tweet link is:

Or the fact that Leave.EU seems to be making a habit of going well beyond its core purpose of Brexit campaigning?

Moved to UK Politics.
Reply 6
I can't watch the video right now, but the text is factual so what's the problem?
Seem perfectly fair to say, terrorists and people like that should automatically forefit their rights that are graciously given to them
Reply 8
Original post by thestudent33
I do not support the UK funding the legal aid. However the Leave.EU white supremacists should focus on Brexit and not other issues.

I think that the tweet was too aggressively worded, singled out Corbyn excessively and the issues involved strayed far beyond Leave.EU's Brexit mandate.
I don't support UK legal aid funding for isis wife.

I have a lot of friends who are activist members of a variety of Brexit, Remain and the Second Referendum campaign groups.
Many of them are asian and none of them are any kind of race supremacist or bigot.
A little advice: be very cautious when you make allegations of that nature; millionaire businessmen in the league of Arron Bank and his hard Brexit circle are often highly litigious. You don't need to be a full time student fighting a defamation or slander case that ends in the same way Katie Hopkins case did.
Reply 9
Original post by AperfectBalance
Seem perfectly fair to say, terrorists and people like that should automatically forefit their rights that are graciously given to them

But do you think that tweeting about Corbyn, legal aid and isis wife is somewhat beyond the remit of a Brexit campaign group?
Do you consider that their wording is neutral or somewhat on the aggressive side?
Original post by Molseh
I can't watch the video right now, but the text is factual so what's the problem?

Leave.EU are a Brexit campaign group- not a political party, think tank or professional political commentators.
I would have been less surprised if the same tweet had been sent by Nigel Farage on his personal social media or tweeted by his Brexit Party.
I think that the tweet was too aggressively worded, singled out Corbyn excessively and the core issues strayed far beyond Leave.EU's original Brexit mandate.
But do you think that tweeting about Corbyn, legal aid and isis wife is somewhat beyond the remit of a Brexit campaign group?
Do you consider that their wording is neutral or somewhat on the aggressive side?

They are allowed to do what they want, a brexit campaign group has the need to try and help secure the best PM to get brexit through, corbyn would potentially be the worst so to point out his actions and comment on them is perfectly fine.

And yes it is agressive but so what? you cant exactly sit by and watch awful things happening.

There is nothing solely right wing about wishing to leave the EU.

I think all parties and campaigners should be more responsible in what they say, that goes for the remain campaign also.
Original post by Burton Bridge
There is nothing solely right wing about wishing to leave the EU.

I think all parties and campaigners should be more responsible in what they say, that goes for the remain campaign also.

Wishing to leave the EU is not strictly right wing, however the group Leave.EU are right wing.
Wishing to leave the EU is not strictly right wing, however the group Leave.EU are right wing.

To be fair the majority of the Leave political figures are nowadays, even though leave is more left wing than right.

Direct tweet link is:

Brexit is about "how you feel".

Not logic, facts and statistics

So in this regard, you are right.
Brexit is going great from my perspective. Voted leave and the financial sector is crashing every where :biggrin:

Direct tweet link is:

Not sure what the issue here is? They've called a terrorist sympathiser/enabler a scumbag and repeated what Corbyn said. As for 'what's new', well, they've got a point.
Original post by That'sGreat
Not sure what the issue here is? They've called a terrorist sympathiser/enabler a scumbag and repeated what Corbyn said. As for 'what's new', well, they've got a point.

The Leave.EU tweet referred to isis wife as "scumbag", not Corbyn.
I have used the term 'scumbag' myself in reference to various terrorist criminals and outlawed terror groups.

The language of the tweet was somewhat aggressive.
Discussion of the situations involving isis wife, related citizenship removal proceedings and legal aid funding- these are all current political issues.
But the leave campaign is a brexit campaigning group, not a think tank or political news outlet.
I would have been less surprised if this tweet had been sent by Nigel Farage or the leader of UKIP from their personal twitter accounts.
The Leave.EU tweet referred to isis wife as "scumbag", not Corbyn.
I have used the term 'scumbag' myself in reference to various terrorist criminals and outlawed terror groups.

The language of the tweet was somewhat aggressive.
Discussion of the situations involving isis wife, related citizenship removal proceedings and legal aid funding- these are all current political issues.
But the leave campaign is a brexit campaigning group, not a think tank or political news outlet.
I would have been less surprised if this tweet had been sent by Nigel Farage or the leader of UKIP from their personal twitter accounts.

Lol, I was referring to Shamina but that made me laugh

Leave.EU was a campaign group for Brexit, but like a lot of campaign groups it has ventured into other realms of politics. That's standard practice. I see no problem with it, it's not like they're breaking any laws, they're just expressing their opinion. I would be surprised if they weren't talking about current political issues, I'm not sure why that's such an issue frankly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending