The Student Room Group

Student finance for a 44 year old married man with 2 children (aged 4 and 2)!

I have just been made redundant after 20 years in a manual labour job and am currently claiming Universal Credit. I am married with a wife and 2 children; my wife stays at home to look after my 4 and 2 year oId (until he turns 3 and then she needs to seek a maximum of 15 hours work a week). I did a 1 year Foundation Year Science course in 1997 for which I received a grant and a loan. Upon completion I paid the loan back in full. So, is it possible for me to get funding for a full-time 2 or 3 year college course (I'm thinking of something science-based) and also some kind of benefit to cover our family living expenses. If so, how does it all work? I tried the government website but ended up scratching my head! Many thanks in advance for any advice, Rich.
Original post by richardjackett
I have just been made redundant after 20 years in a manual labour job and am currently claiming Universal Credit. I am married with a wife and 2 children; my wife stays at home to look after my 4 and 2 year oId (until he turns 3 and then she needs to seek a maximum of 15 hours work a week). I did a 1 year Foundation Year Science course in 1997 for which I received a grant and a loan. Upon completion I paid the loan back in full. So, is it possible for me to get funding for a full-time 2 or 3 year college course (I'm thinking of something science-based) and also some kind of benefit to cover our family living expenses. If so, how does it all work? I tried the government website but ended up scratching my head! Many thanks in advance for any advice, Rich.

Hi Rich,

Would you be returning to Higher Education or starting from Further Education? What level of qualification will you be looking to gain?

Regards,
Nihad
Hi Nihad, thanks for the reply. I think I have a couple of options with regard to Further Education or Higher Education. The FE route might be a good idea considering it was 20 years or more since my Foundation Year Science and I'm a bit rusty, so I guess I'd be looking at A-Level Chemistry and Biology perhaps? The second option is if I brushed-up my knowledge beforehand, I could probably get onto a HND Science course because I already hold a Foundation Year Science. Cheers, Rich.
Original post by SFE Nihad
Hi Rich,

Would you be returning to Higher Education or starting from Further Education? What level of qualification will you be looking to gain?

Regards,
Nihad
Hi Rich,

The funding for these options is quite different.

For the package of A levels it would be an Advanced Learner Loan that you would be applying for. You can find more information about this here. In this case we would pay the funding directly to your learning provider.

A HNC would be classed as higher education and so you could apply for Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants for full time courses. We would take your previous study and qualifications into account for this.

Is your foundation year your only time in higher education?

Thanks, Tégan
Hi there Tegan. I completed the first year of a HNC Building Studies course back in 1993 but that was through an employer I was working for at the time. Other than that, the Foundation Year Science is the only course of Higher Education I have undertaken. I take it the Maintenance Loan is for covering my family's day-to-day living costs? It's just that my Universal Credit work coach seemed to dismiss the idea of my being able to go back into full-time education. Many thanks, Rich.
Original post by SFE Tegan
Hi Rich,

The funding for these options is quite different.

For the package of A levels it would be an Advanced Learner Loan that you would be applying for. You can find more information about this here. In this case we would pay the funding directly to your learning provider.

A HNC would be classed as higher education and so you could apply for Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants for full time courses. We would take your previous study and qualifications into account for this.

Is your foundation year your only time in higher education?

Thanks, Tégan
Hi there Tegan. I completed the first year of a HNC Building Studies course back in 1993 but that was through an employer I was working for at the time. Other than that, the Foundation Year Science is the only course of Higher Education I have undertaken. I take it the Maintenance Loan is for covering my family's day-to-day living costs? It's just that my Universal Credit work coach seemed to dismiss the idea of my being able to go back into full-time education. Many thanks, Rich.

Hi Richard,

Just to confirm, you studied one year of HNC course in 1993 and then one year of a foundation course in 1997?

Are you looking to start studying again in September 2019?

The maintenance loan if you were eligible to receive one is to be used for whatever you need it for. We usually provide this to students to help with accommodation and living expenses but it's essentially down to you on how you want to spend it.

Thanks, Duncan
Hi Duncan. Yes, I studied the first year of a HNC building studies course, and then a Foundation Year Science course a few years later. I paid the loan back for the Foundation Course when I got my next job. I guess the bottom line is: Universal Credit pays my family about £1300 per month which is just enough to get by on, so if I were to go into full-time education for the next 2 years (start date hopefully September 2019) would my family receive an equivalent level of income from the maintenance loan? - about £1300/month for the 2 year period? (on top of the tuition fees of course). Many thanks,Rich.
Hi Duncan. Yes, I studied the first year of a HNC building studies course, and then a Foundation Year Science course a few years later. I paid the loan back for the Foundation Course when I got my next job. I guess the bottom line is: Universal Credit pays my family about £1300 per month which is just enough to get by on, so if I were to go into full-time education for the next 2 years (start date hopefully September 2019) would my family receive an equivalent level of income from the maintenance loan? - about £1300/month for the 2 year period? (on top of the tuition fees of course). Many thanks,Rich.

Hi Richard,

Are you looking to study in London or outside of it? This will determine which bracket of finance you will receive.

If you were to study full time at Higher Education level, as you already have two years of previous study this means you would have to self fund your tuition fees for the first year of your course.

Thanks, Duncan
Thanks Duncan. I am based in Cornwall so I would attend Cornwall College.The 1 year HNC course was paid for by a construction company I was working for at the time and I attended college on a one day per week basis. So if I've actually only done one year of previous study does that mean I can be funded for all further years? Cheers, Rich.
Original post by Duncan SFE
Hi Richard,

Are you looking to study in London or outside of it? This will determine which bracket of finance you will receive.

If you were to study full time at Higher Education level, as you already have two years of previous study this means you would have to self fund your tuition fees for the first year of your course.

Thanks, Duncan
Thanks Duncan. I am based in Cornwall so I would attend Cornwall College.The 1 year HNC course was paid for by a construction company I was working for at the time and I attended college on a one day per week basis. So if I've actually only done one year of previous study does that mean I can be funded for all further years? Cheers, Rich.

Hi Richard,

Years of self funded and non UK previous study are counted when we look at your entitlement to funding. Was the HNC classed as a part time course?

You can use the Student Finance Calculator to have a look at the possible funding available to you.

Regards,
Stuart
Hi Stuart, yes, the HNC was a day a week course (4 days at work, 1 day at college) and was funded by my workplace. Cheers, Rich.
Original post by Stuart SFE
Hi Richard,

Years of self funded and non UK previous study are counted when we look at your entitlement to funding. Was the HNC classed as a part time course?

You can use the Student Finance Calculator to have a look at the possible funding available to you.

Regards,
Stuart
Hi Richard,

At the end of this course, were you awarded the HNC?

Warm regards,
Graeme
Hi Stuart, yes, the HNC was a day a week course (4 days at work, 1 day at college) and was funded by my workplace. Cheers, Rich.
Hi Graeme. No, I didn't receive a certificate because the HNC was a 2 year course and I only completed the first year (I left the job that was funding the course). Cheers, Rich.
Alright, that's great.

Based on what you've said, you'll be eligible to receive full funding for any new course you study. Like Stuart said: in terms of what funding you can receive, this calculator is a good indication: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If you have a specific course and university in mind, please let us know, and we'll check to see in more details what you might be eligible for.

Warm regards,
Graeme
Hi Graeme. No, I didn't receive a certificate because the HNC was a 2 year course and I only completed the first year (I left the job that was funding the course). Cheers, Rich.
Many thanks Graeme, and to the other advisers, Rich.
Original post by Graeme SFE
Alright, that's great.

Based on what you've said, you'll be eligible to receive full funding for any new course you study. Like Stuart said: in terms of what funding you can receive, this calculator is a good indication: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If you have a specific course and university in mind, please let us know, and we'll check to see in more details what you might be eligible for.

Warm regards,
Graeme
Many thanks Graeme, and to the other advisers, Rich.

You're very welcome, Rich! Let us know if you require further assistance. Regards, Nihad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending