Stay or leave Watch

Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Nearly finished first year uni in the uk. I moved over with my parents to the uk in September but we’ve all moved back now because they did not like it. I want to return and get my degree. However, they are adamant that I don’t move back and stay in the same country as them. They will pay for my uni fees,accommodation and food etc if I stay here and start again in September but I want to go back to the uk. I know the complications involved (expenses etc) if I go back too.
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 123456777)
Nearly finished first year uni in the uk. I moved over with my parents to the uk in September but we’ve all moved back now because they did not like it. I want to return and get my degree. However, they are adamant that I don’t move back and stay in the same country as them. They will pay for my uni fees,accommodation and food etc if I stay here and start again in September but I want to go back to the uk. I know the complications involved (expenses etc) if I go back too.
can you afford to completely support yourself?
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
can you afford to completely support yourself?
I’d have enough to survive till the end of term. But in September would need to apply for an EU maintenance loan
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I’d have enough to survive till the end of term. But in September would need to apply for an EU maintenance loan
you might not meet the residency requirements for that, you need to have lived in the uk for 5 years generally without breaks.
Rep:
?
you might not meet the residency requirements for that, you need to have lived in the uk for 5 years generally without breaks.
It would be an EU worker loan which is the same as a normal maintenance loan however for EU students and would be based on having a part time job which I would be getting
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It would be an EU worker loan which is the same as a normal maintenance loan however for EU students and would be based on having a part time job which I would be getting
Check with student finance england what the job requirements are.
Rep:
?
Check with student finance england what the job requirements are.
I’ve phoned up quite a few times now and they’ve said that a retail job would be sufficient and although there’s no benchmark with regards to hours somewhere in and around 10 would also be sufficient
JayJ2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Follow your heart, in the end, that's what matters. If I was in your situation I'd probably stay in the country, I mean you have parents that'll pay for everything, not everyone is that lucky. We have similar situations, I live I Canada (I was born in the UK) and I want to go to school in the UK for Law, luckily my parents are paying for uni fees, accommodation, and food if I stay or leave the country. If my parents were only going to pay for Canada, I would stay, there are plenty of nice universities in Canada to study, so I'd just stay, study criminology and become a criminologist.
Rep:
?
(Original post by JayJ2001)

Follow your heart, in the end, that's what matters. If I was in your situation I'd probably stay in the country, I mean you have parents that'll pay for everything, not everyone is that lucky. We have similar situations, I live I Canada (I was born in the UK) and I want to go to school in the UK for Law, luckily my parents are paying for uni fees, accommodation, and food if I stay or leave the country. If my parents were only going to pay for Canada, I would stay, there are plenty of nice universities in Canada to study, so I'd just stay, study criminology and become a criminologist.
Thanks for the advice!! I just feel as I’ve nearly finished my first year I will only have 2 years left. I also have made many friends in the UK and the uni lifestyle over there is more enjoyable than the lifestyle in my home place
JayJ2001
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for the advice!! I just feel as I’ve nearly finished my first year I will only have 2 years left. I also have made many friends in the UK and the uni lifestyle over there is more enjoyable than the lifestyle in my home place
Like I said, follow your heart. If you want to stay in the UK, stay in the UK. There is one problem, life is going to be a lot harder for you without your parent's support.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
25%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (53)
33.97%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
17.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (12)
7.69%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (25)
16.03%

Watched Threads

Latest