The Student Room Group

Let's attain this grain ~ GCSE Revison Trek To 8s and 9s

Welp.

I'm in my 2nd half of the Easter holiday and I decided to make this thread to hopefully motivate me to revise every day until my first exams (which is in 25 days, oh lord).

~ Lemme drop le predicted stats post-mocks ~

Biology: 9
Chemistry: 8
Physics: 6 ... we don't talk about that ... imma aim for a 7/8 tho
English Lit: 9
English Lang: 9 - fun fact: I acc hate both of these subjects
Maths: 8
French: 8 ... the only logical explaination for this predicted grade is that my french teacher pities me :smile:
Religious Studies : 9
Computer Science : 9

My motivation for revison:
(protip: it's good practice to visualise your end goal so that you're more inclined to work to achieve it... this sounds blindingly obvious but you'd be suprised how many people don't do this)

Spoiler

So tune in if you want to and I'm going to try and update this thread every day ..knowing me I'll probably forget.. but I'll try.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
17/09/2019

Last week Monday I basically blinked and it was Friday, (jk.. except not really) soooo I have lot to do this week : )

My Plan for today:

Stuff I'll probably do
Stuff I might do if I'm not tired/hungry

**Make poetry flashcards
- I've come to the conclusion that learning 12 poems (I'm not revising Ozymandias or London) is a lot of work, so I'm going to pick a few (emphasis on few) quotes from each poem and just write down my interpretations and also link them to context, as the number of quotes I learn are much less important than my interpretations

**Complete Computer Science Specimen 2015 paper 2 + mark
- After this I'll write on the front any weak topics , I did this for paper 1 yesterday and made flashcards on the weak topics

** Go over weak topics in Maths - using MathsGenie and practice paper walkthroughs on YT
- I did most of this a couple days ago, but I still want to go over working out the turning point and other awful grade 8/9 stuff

**Biology, Chemistry and Physics Required Practical flashcards
- I've been putting this off because I wanted to do other subjects I hate revising for (*cough* cough* English) but I might as well do them, if not today, sometime this week.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hey Sis :smile: Im aiming for similar grades to you but I just feel like im not gonna achieve them cos im not putting in enough work. Like I have high predicted grades but I feel like Im gonna let all my teachers down.... I made a huge checklist of stuff for me to do in Easter and Im so behind in it....Like there's whole subjects I haven't revised yet or written down notes for...
Reply 3
Original post by Athenaxx
Hey Sis :smile: Im aiming for similar grades to you but I just feel like im not gonna achieve them cos im not putting in enough work. Like I have high predicted grades but I feel like Im gonna let all my teachers down.... I made a huge checklist of stuff for me to do in Easter and Im so behind in it....Like there's whole subjects I haven't revised yet or written down notes for...

I relate so much to feeling of being behind in work, since I made a whole Easter revison plan and basically ignored it for the first week :colondollar:. What i'd advise is that you forget about the fact that you're behind and start revising NOW since there's no better time to start revising other than right now. Regardless of what anyone says, you still have time to get the grades you want, it's all about using your time wisely.

What I'd do is rank all the stuff you wanted to do this Easter from the most important/urgent to the least and start from the top, whatever you don't finish doing after the Easter holidays, you can just delegate to time after school and remember that you do have half term halfway through the exams, so if you need to, prioritise revising for weak subjects that you have before the half term .

Hope this helps : )
Use freesciencelessons for science, and then do questions on physics and maths tutor, for english you can use mr bruff or mr salles, and for maths, maths genie is really good, he has a website where all topics are arranged in order of grade or be topic. You can do this, i have started revising in early april. Take a few days off school and call in sick this month, they can't question you. Utilise your time while you still have it. You are doing better than most of the country, as they revise on the day before. Don't revise science paper 2 yet, it is in june, focus on paper 1, likewise, do the same for all subjects, you should a have a timetable of all exam dates.
Original post by BChemGee
Welp.

I'm in my 2nd half of the Easter holiday and I decided to make this thread to hopefully motivate me to revise every day until my first exams (which is in 25 days, oh lord).

~ Lemme drop le predicted stats post-mocks ~

Biology: 9
Chemistry: 8
Physics: 6 ... we don't talk about that ... imma aim for a 7/8 tho
English Lit: 9
English Lang: 9 - fun fact: I acc hate both of these subjects
Maths: 8
French: 8 ... the only logical explaination for this predicted grade is that my french teacher pities me :smile:
Religious Studies : 9
Computer Science : 9

My motivation for revison:
(protip: it's good practice to visualise your end goal so that you're more inclined to work to achieve it... this sounds blindingly obvious but you'd be suprised how many people don't do this)

Spoiler

So tune in if you want to and I'm going to try and update this thread every day ..knowing me I'll probably forget.. but I'll try.

LAE is kinda dead to be honest, brampton is the best, NCS lie about their school, but don't even publish their results officially. They hate talking about Brampton.
Reply 6
Original post by GetGradenines
LAE is kinda dead to be honest, brampton is the best, NCS lie about their school, but don't even publish their results officially. They hate talking about Brampton.

I applied to Brampton too but I didn't really like the school that much and it's 1 and a half hours away and I'm way too lazy to be trekking for that long everyday. Personally, I found LAE much more appealing because its only a sixth form and isn't also a secondary school, the terms are shorter and I like how you can actually leave the school during lunch, why do you think it's dead?
I
I applied to Brampton too but I didn't really like the school that much and it's 1 and a half hours away and I'm way too lazy to be trekking for that long everyday. Personally, I found LAE much more appealing because its only a sixth form and isn't also a secondary school, the terms are shorter and I like how you can actually leave the school during lunch, why do you think it's dead?

In your case it is good because it is close to your house, but i feel like usually people who go to LAE are those that don't get into brampton or NCS.
Reply 8
I
In your case it is good because it is close to your house, but i feel like usually people who go to LAE are those that don't get into brampton or NCS.

Tbh I think the schools are roughly all as good as eachother - are you in year 12?
Reply 9

Same it’s the worst feeling
I

Have you gotten a conditional offer from LAE yet? I applied and got no response! My grades are much about the entry requirements so I find that quite strange.

Try not to worry about letting your teachers down...focus on achieving the best you can! I know it's easier said than done!!
Maybe try to make that 'huge checklist' a little more manageable...can you break it down into tasks to do on set days...? Or ensure you're focusing on the subjects that you need for the future (Maths, English and Science are usually a good place to start). Best of luck with your Easter revision!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous778
Have you gotten a conditional offer from LAE yet? I applied and got no response! My grades are much about the entry requirements so I find that quite strange.

Not to alarm you, but you should have gotten a response from them a couple weeks ago (on the 5th of April). Did you apply late?
Not to alarm you, but you should have gotten a response from them a couple weeks ago (on the 5th of April). Did you apply late?

No, I applied on time. Was it sent in the post or email?
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous778
No, I applied on time. Was it sent in the post or email?

I got an email response on the 5th and then basically a copy of the email in the post the next day.
You should email them about your application.
Could I join this thread? This should be interesting!
Reply 16
Original post by Tolgarda
Could I join this thread? This should be interesting!I

I'll add you to the taglist : )
Reply 17
What LAE are you going?
I got an email response on the 5th and then basically a copy of the email in the post the next day.
You should email them about your application.
Reply 18
Original post by SBizzy
What LAE are you going?

The Stratford one
can you add me to taglist? i'm quite similar to you, i got into LAE and a couple grammar schools in Southend, and had an interview for brampton. But Brampton is around an hour & fourty five for me aswell (and the schools starts at 8:10, so i'd prob wake up at 5am). but apparently brampton is good for getting people work experience placements so idkkk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending