The Student Room Group

UCL or Imperial for MSc Health Data Science?

Hi fellows,
I hope you are well.

I just got these three offers and I am a little confused which one to choose.

- MSc Health Data Science at UCL
- MSc Health Data Analytics and Machine Learning at Imperial College London
- MSc Health Data Science at The University of Manchester

I am looking for a program where they teach knowledge that I can learn and practice on a project at the same time. Any advice?

People who have offers or studied one of these programs are highly welcomed.

Regards

Scroll to see replies

You asked a similar question about marketing programs about a year ago. The advice hasn't changed really. Look at each program and work out which suits your interests and learning style best. There is no substitute for doing your own research.
Original post by nael
Hi fellows,
I hope you are well.

I am looking for a program where they teach knowledge that I can learn and practice on a project at the same time. Any advice?

Regards
Reply 2
Hi alleycat393,
Thank you for the response.

I actually chose and I am currently in my second semester. However, the courses and programs I listed are quite new and almost very similar to each other. This why I need opinions for things that I should consider.

Thank you
Original post by alleycat393
You asked a similar question about marketing programs about a year ago. The advice hasn't changed really. Look at each program and work out which suits your interests and learning style best. There is no substitute for doing your own research.
As above you should consider the course content and the best way to do that is to put them side by side and compare.
Original post by nael
Hi alleycat393,
Thank you for the response.

I actually chose and I am currently in my second semester. However, the courses and programs I listed are quite new and almost very similar to each other. This why I need opinions for things that I should consider.

Thank you
Hi, i applied to ucl and imperial for the same course this year. Unfortunately, i got rejected in Imperial but got an offer from UCL. I personally really like the Imperial course because of its structure and the 6 month research project. they said it has a really steep learning curve in terms of maths on the second term. I am comparing UCL's course and imperial's and they seem to be v similar. i know the Imperial course is new (i believe its their second year running this course) but its been really successful.
just wondering what your thoughts are atm?
Original post by nael
Hi fellows,
I hope you are well.

Regards

Hi!

I am currently in a similar situation, and would like to ask you which of these MSc programmes you ended up choosing/how you have found it? :smile:
Original post by aliyah456
Hi!

I am currently in a similar situation, and would like to ask you which of these MSc programm you ended up choosing/how you have found it? :smile:

What undergrad degree at you doing and what year are you in?
Original post by Littleonezz
What undergrad degree at you doing and what year are you in?

Hey, I've just graduated from Biology at Queen Mary, so now I'm just deciding what MSc to pick.
Hey, I've just graduated from Biology at Queen Mary, so now I'm just deciding what MSc to pick.

Awesome, I’m applying next year after graduating from my biology degree. Have you already received offers for the masters?
Awesome, I’m applying next year after graduating from my biology degree. Have you already received offers for the masters?

That sounds great! And yes, I just received them a few days ago.
That sounds great! And yes, I just received them a few days ago.

Nice! Do you have any advice on how you structured your personal statement? Also how numerical was your course at QMU?
Nice! Do you have any advice on how you structured your personal statement? Also how numerical was your course at QMU?

Thank you!

I honestly didn't think my personal statements were that great, and they were under 3000 characters.

I tried to mention firstly why I was interested in the programme & what sparked this interest, (you can say it was something from your undergraduate studies like a specific module) previous experiences I'd had (like working within labs and helping to publish articles).
Then I explained any specific modules I'd undertaken during my degree, and how they'd readied me for this MSc. I ended on how I would overall make a good contribution to the university.

Throughout it I tried to answer all the questions up on the websites first because it helps you fill up on your content, like the following:

- What educational experience do you have? (your degree/if you've done research/a dissertation)
- Do you have any relevant work experience? (even if you haven't part time work etc demonstrates you understand how to effectively manage time/prioritise workloads and thus can handle the competitive demands of an MSc)
- Have you completed any extracurricular and voluntary activities relevant to the
programme? (e.g. joining relevant academic university societies)
- What are your career aspirations? (& how does that fit in with what the programme will teach you?)

You could mention what specific modules at the uni's you especially would enjoy and why (e.g. they link to something you've read/started studying in your undergrad degree).
I think it's also good to big-up the uni's without sounding over-the-top, like how their courses are interdisciplinary etc, and if you have to mention relevant research from top journals you've read.

My course at QM involved compulsory research methods modules in which basic statistics and introductory R coding was taught - this I mentioned in my statement, but other than those modules I didn't do any extra numerical stuff.

Good luck with yours :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you!

I honestly didn't think my personal statements were that great, and they were under 3000 characters.

I tried to mention firstly why I was interested in the programme & what sparked this interest, (you can say it was something from your undergraduate studies like a specific module) previous experiences I'd had (like working within labs and helping to publish articles).
Then I explained any specific modules I'd undertaken during my degree, and how they'd readied me for this MSc. I ended on how I would overall make a good contribution to the university.

Throughout it I tried to answer all the questions up on the websites first because it helps you fill up on your content, like the following:

- What educational experience do you have? (your degree/if you've done research/a dissertation)
- Do you have any relevant work experience? (even if you haven't part time work etc demonstrates you understand how to effectively manage time/prioritise workloads and thus can handle the competitive demands of an MSc)
- Have you completed any extracurricular and voluntary activities relevant to the
- What are your career aspirations? (& how does that fit in with what the programme will teach you?)

You could mention what specific modules at the uni's you especially would enjoy and why (e.g. they link to something you've read/started studying in your undergrad degree).
I think it's also good to big-up the uni's without sounding over-the-top, like how their courses are interdisciplinary etc, and if you have to mention relevant research from top journals you've read.

My course at QM involved compulsory research methods modules in which basic statistics and introductory R coding was taught - this I mentioned in my statement, but other than those modules I didn't do any extra numerical stuff.

Wow, you’re awesome. Thanks for the help!

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what month did you apply? I am just trying to get a good sense of the best time.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you!

What month did you apply ?
I applied in early July, but they took a while to get back to me with offers. I'd advise to apply as early as possible in case places fill up before this.
Reply 15
Original post by nael
Hi fellows,
I hope you are well.

Regards

Hi
I can't really say much as I'm just about to start my course but I'm doing MSc health data analytics and machine learning at imperial.
I'd say it fully depends on the modules and what structure you prefer; I know imperial has a 6 month project as opposed to others that are only 3. It also depends where you want to study.
Reply 16
Hi!

I am currently in a similar situation, and would like to ask you which of these MSc programmes you ended up choosing/how you have found it? :smile:

Hi, I was wondering if you've chosen your MSc course? I'm going to start MSc Health Data analytics and machine learning at imperial in 2 weeks.
Hey, I ended up choosing UCL. It would have been nice to know someone before starting! But I hope you really enjoy the course at Imperial :smile:
Reply 18
Hey, I ended up choosing UCL. It would have been nice to know someone before starting! But I hope you really enjoy the course at Imperial :smile:

Ah ikr! 😂 You too, hope you have a good time there. 😊

Hi,
I also received an offer for Health Data Science at UCL and have accepted. But I haven't been able to find anything online LinkedIn etc. on recent graduates, which makes me a little apprehensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending