The Student Room Group

Commuting to London for uni

I will be going to Ravensbourne University in London in September and was wondering whether it would be viable to commute to London from Stafford (1.5h train journey) as I am only in for a maximum of 3 times a week and this will decrease to once or twice after the first term. Has anyone done a commute similar to this into London? And if so would they recommend it? Thanks.
Original post by isobel_ashf
I will be going to Ravensbourne University in London in September and was wondering whether it would be viable to commute to London from Stafford (1.5h train journey) as I am only in for a maximum of 3 times a week and this will decrease to once or twice after the first term. Has anyone done a commute similar to this into London? And if so would they recommend it? Thanks.

It's certainly possible, the major issue for you will be when trains are cancelled or delayed, or when the weather causes issues. You may also find you are missing out on being able to utilise some of the resources at the university such as the library or labs/simulation rooms, depending on your course. You may also have to take part in group work in person at the university which would require more attendance. Ultimately it is possible, but you need to weigh up the pros and cons in terms of potential impact on your studies.
Reply 2
Thanks for replying. The university doesn’t have much of a library and I won’t need to use labs at all as I am doing a fashion buying course. You made a good point about train cancellations and group work, I hadn’t necessarily thought about that aspect.
Original post by Charlotte's Web
It's certainly possible, the major issue for you will be when trains are cancelled or delayed, or when the weather causes issues. You may also find you are missing out on being able to utilise some of the resources at the university such as the library or labs/simulation rooms, depending on your course. You may also have to take part in group work in person at the university which would require more attendance. Ultimately it is possible, but you need to weigh up the pros and cons in terms of potential impact on your studies.

Lots of people do commute into London, but 1.5 hours is a lot. Does this include getting from your home to the station, and from the London station to the uni? If not, 1.5 hours could easily turn into 2, and that really is a lot- it'll be very tiring, and you'll almost definitely find yourself making excuses not to go in.

Are you sure you will only be in a couple of days a week, and won't have additional seminars and tutorials to attend? I agree that group work could also become a problem.

Living in central London is very expensive, but I'm not actually sure how much money you would save doing this! Maybe finding some accommodation that's a bit further out with a shorter commute into uni might be a good compromise?
Ravensbourne uni is at North Greenwich so your commute involves changing twice (at Euston and at London Bridge). it'll definitely take more than 2 hours depending on how fast the pendolino goes into London.
Reply 5
Yeah it’s 30 mins on the tube from Euston. Take the Northern line from Euston to Waterloo and then Jubilee to North Greenwich. I’ve done the journey a few times and personally I don’t think it’s that bad but maybe that’s because I’m used to longer journeys.
Original post by hello_shawn
Ravensbourne uni is at North Greenwich so your commute involves changing twice (at Euston and at London Bridge). it'll definitely take more than 2 hours depending on how fast the pendolino goes into London.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Did you find the commute for 1.5h hard? I’m thinking of maybe staying in a hotel or hostel once a week in London so I don’t have to commute as much. Hopefully when I make friends they might let me stay at theirs occasionally though.
Original post by MediaMel
Hi @isobel_ashf,

I commuted for 1.5 hours and lived in Kent - when at the university you make loads of friends and end up staying on campus to work together even if you aren't in a lecture. Personally, I think of course it is super worth it! Lots of my friends commuted one commuting for 2.5 hours. During the busier time of the year although you may have 3 lectures you will be in working with people around the lectures to action what you are learning. I did the Digital TV Production course and we could book out the studio in our spare time to make our own shows for our showreel.

Let me know if you have any other questions I would be happy to help!
Mel :smile:
Yeah it’s 30 mins on the tube from Euston. Take the Northern line from Euston to Waterloo and then Jubilee to North Greenwich. I’ve done the journey a few times and personally I don’t think it’s that bad but maybe that’s because I’m used to longer journeys.

I agree it's probably not that bad as a one off, but doing it 3 times a week will become really tiring. As you've got lots of changes, there's lots of potential for something to go wrong and disrupt your journey.

Have you thought about situations where it's absolutely essential you get into uni that day e.g. for exams?

Personally, if you're really set on this idea, I'd consider spending a week where you mimic how your week would be at uni, doing the commute there and back each day and at the times you would need to and then decide how you feel about it.
Reply 8
I’ll have to try that idea in the summer and see how I get on. Thanks for the advice.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I agree it's probably not that bad as a one off, but doing it 3 times a week will become really tiring. As you've got lots of changes, there's lots of potential for something to go wrong and disrupt your journey.

Have you thought about situations where it's absolutely essential you get into uni that day e.g. for exams?

Personally, if you're really set on this idea, I'd consider spending a week where you mimic how your week would be at uni, doing the commute there and back each day and at the times you would need to and then decide how you feel about it.
Reply 9
Sorry but you are insane.

I literally hate getting the train from Stoke station (uni) (not far from Stafford) to London Euston (home) for two main reasons:

1) The Virgin train is incredibly expensive, even if you book tickets in advance with a railcard it will all add up to a lot over time.
2) The longer, cheaper train (London Northwestern) which you will have to end up taking as funds dry up takes AGES and stops about 20 times - nightmare!

Basically don't do it and just get accommodation in London.
Reply 10
I am doing a fashion buying course.

I think for this reason alone you should just move to London. No offence to Stafford, but it's hardly known for being a city of fashion. You will find more work experience opportunities and probably enjoy it better in London, even if it is more expensive.

3 hour travelling a day is a lot you might only have a couple of days week but you'll likely be in more than that I was always popping in for something . One of the big things about uni is the social side of things (it much more important than you think right now) and it will be very har to take part in that if you have to travel back 1.5 hours each day. People say oh I can sleep on my mates floor I promise you you won't there just isn't room.
Original post by jonathanemptage
3 hour travelling a day is a lot you might only have a couple of days week but you'll likely be in more than that I was always popping in for something . One of the big things about uni is the social side of things (it much more important than you think right now) and it will be very har to take part in that if you have to travel back 1.5 hours each day. People say oh I can sleep on my mates floor I promise you you won't there just isn't room.

Hey this was from a couple years ago now. I decided to commute 2/3 times a week for the first 6 months and then my uni went 100% remote for the remainder of year one and the whole of year two. I’m now in third year and go in once a week and do one day online. Student life doesn’t appeal to me personally and I’m really glad I didn’t waste a load of money renting through a pandemic😅
Hey this was from a couple years ago now. I decided to commute 2/3 times a week for the first 6 months and then my uni went 100% remote for the remainder of year one and the whole of year two. I’m now in third year and go in once a week and do one day online. Student life doesn’t appeal to me personally and I’m really glad I didn’t waste a load of money renting through a pandemic😅

hello i just came across your post because i'm racking my brains in the same predicament right now. i really want to go to fashion retail academy in london to do a 6 month fast track fashion buying & merchandising course in september, it's only for 2 days a week and i also live near stafford. train prices are like £120 for a return which doing twice each week would be like £1000 a month .. renting somewhere is at least £1000 a month and staying in a hotel twice a week would be the same. was it manageable for you to make the commute for the first 6 months? covid lockdown was perfect timing for you lol!

also how did you find your course and if you don't mind me asking are you employed in buying and merchandising now? i'm nervous that i might not find work after completing my course!
I’m gonna be commuting for an hour to get to ravensbourne when I hopefully get my place in September

Quick Reply

Latest