The Student Room Group

What should I do!!! I need help!!! :(

I am currently in year 12 studying A level Mathematics, A Level Physics and A Level Business Studies.

Although I knew that A levels are much more difficult than GCSEs, I didn't think it would be to an extent where its difficult by that much of an amount. This year I revised early from September to November and I was getting good marks in tests until November certain stuff happened that affected my motivation, happiness, self esteem and overall outlook on life. Since then I've missed many days of schools, haven't taken care of myself, Haven't been studying and doing homework and been depressed about my bad grades I've been achieving and as much as I tried to find motivation to get study and get good grades I just haven't been able to find it.

Currently I'm on Fs and Es in my subjects but I aspire to get As/A*s in order to go to a top university. My family are quite strict with grades and I have 2 older siblings who achieved As/A*s and have gone to top universities and did well there. I'm really behind in my subjects which are all content heavy and is filled with skill and application - especially maths and physics. I feel like the most I can get in my end of year mocks which happen in a month are Cs/Bs, grades my family and I would be extremely upset with. I don't know much of the content at all and I feel like it might be a better choice for me to retake year 12 at a different sixth form/college and also maybe drop Business Studies to another subject like Chemistry or Biology because I'm terrible in essay writing and I hate the subject and my career path in mind has nothing related to it. I have started studying this Easter for my subjects but I definitely won't be able to even get up to half of the content properly for each subject and will have bad exam technique

I don't know what is the right thing to do about this? Retake year 12 but this time achieving good grades or go into year 13 with grades my family and I will be really unhappy with?
Original post by CheekyBanterBus
I am currently in year 12 studying A level Mathematics, A Level Physics and A Level Business Studies.

Although I knew that A levels are much more difficult than GCSEs, I didn't think it would be to an extent where its difficult by that much of an amount. This year I revised early from September to November and I was getting good marks in tests until November certain stuff happened that affected my motivation, happiness, self esteem and overall outlook on life. Since then I've missed many days of schools, haven't taken care of myself, Haven't been studying and doing homework and been depressed about my bad grades I've been achieving and as much as I tried to find motivation to get study and get good grades I just haven't been able to find it.

Currently I'm on Fs and Es in my subjects but I aspire to get As/A*s in order to go to a top university. My family are quite strict with grades and I have 2 older siblings who achieved As/A*s and have gone to top universities and did well there. I'm really behind in my subjects which are all content heavy and is filled with skill and application - especially maths and physics. I feel like the most I can get in my end of year mocks which happen in a month are Cs/Bs, grades my family and I would be extremely upset with. I don't know much of the content at all and I feel like it might be a better choice for me to retake year 12 at a different sixth form/college and also maybe drop Business Studies to another subject like Chemistry or Biology because I'm terrible in essay writing and I hate the subject and my career path in mind has nothing related to it. I have started studying this Easter for my subjects but I definitely won't be able to even get up to half of the content properly for each subject and will have bad exam technique

I don't know what is the right thing to do about this? Retake year 12 but this time achieving good grades or go into year 13 with grades my family and I will be really unhappy with?

The weird thing is, these are the subjects I've chosen for next year...
Original post by thestudent33
The weird thing is, these are the subjects I've chosen for next year...

They're good subjects but they require so much work, especially Physics. If they're related to your future aspirations pick them. I like Maths and Physics but I've just had a *****y year with loads of stuff outside of school going on so I still want to continue doing them subjects and achieve better grades. Business has a lot more essay writing than I thought and I'm not good at essays so I dislike it and I want to drop it.
Reply 3
Hi,
i was in a similar position last year and I did decide to go through year 13, but it wad a wrong decision.
I would suggest to re take year 12. I did think that I will catch up with year 12 content during the summer and during year 13 but it did not work! In ywar 13 you will be busy with year 13 content (which is harder) university applications, work experince and other stuff and wont have any time for year 12 content. you will find yourself one month from exams with all the content to learn (my posotioj right now). Also, it is better to get the grades you want althought you need an extra year, it is for your happiness. I know how family can put pressure on yourself and retaking would be best, I think.
Anyway, you can think about it and if you feel you can improve in year 13 , go for it but I would again suggest to be confident with year 12 stuff also because year 13 is based on year 12.
Think about it and write pros and cons of both, it will help and dont stress yourself.
:smile:

For physics and maths, the content in Year 13 will build on what you have done in Y12- so if you are struggling with skills and have gaps in your knowledge now, then retaking Year 12 may be your best option.Is there a reason you don't think you'll be able to do this at your current school? It may be worth having a look at other local options now, and finding out what you'd need to do to be able to start Year 12 in September.

Depending on why you're struggling with physics and maths, biology or chemistry may not be the best option to pick up. They're very similar in being very content heavy and with lots of new skills to learn as well. In biology there are also some long answer style questions in Year 13, although actual essays will depend on the exam board. Another option to consider might be psychology, for example- although it is hard to find A-levels without much extended writing.

Have you thought about any alternatives to A-levels?
Original post by kamal12
Hi,
i was in a similar position last year and I did decide to go through year 13, but it wad a wrong decision.
I would suggest to re take year 12. I did think that I will catch up with year 12 content during the summer and during year 13 but it did not work! In ywar 13 you will be busy with year 13 content (which is harder) university applications, work experince and other stuff and wont have any time for year 12 content. you will find yourself one month from exams with all the content to learn (my posotioj right now). Also, it is better to get the grades you want althought you need an extra year, it is for your happiness. I know how family can put pressure on yourself and retaking would be best, I think.
Anyway, you can think about it and if you feel you can improve in year 13 , go for it but I would again suggest to be confident with year 12 stuff also because year 13 is based on year 12.
Think about it and write pros and cons of both, it will help and dont stress yourself.
:smile:

Hi Kamal

Thanks for the reply. I initially did think summer would be a good opportunity to catch up with however I feel like if I just bang-out work in the summer without proper rest for year 13 which is an intense year, I will probably burn out and an even worse scenario could happen in year 13 so yeah I definitely 100% agree with you about that point. Even just year 1 content for all 3 subjects to learn 1 month before end of year mocks which account to predicted grade is just a lot of content to learn in a month and realistically isn't possible. I am also going to be moving house and area further out from my current sixth form so that could be good for me to have a fresh start in a new area, new house and hopefully I can move to a new school where I am a lot more focused on myself. If I did retake year 12 I would definitely feel more comfortable with the content and get top grades moving into year 13 which will be good for the real A level exams. I have given some thought into both options but I'll try discuss it with my family and teachers nearer to the end of year to get their advice and view on it. However my family are quite pissed off with the idea how I might retake year 12.

Thank you for the reply :smile:
Original post by SarcAndSpark
For physics and maths, the content in Year 13 will build on what you have done in Y12- so if you are struggling with skills and have gaps in your knowledge now, then retaking Year 12 may be your best option.Is there a reason you don't think you'll be able to do this at your current school? It may be worth having a look at other local options now, and finding out what you'd need to do to be able to start Year 12 in September.

Depending on why you're struggling with physics and maths, biology or chemistry may not be the best option to pick up. They're very similar in being very content heavy and with lots of new skills to learn as well. In biology there are also some long answer style questions in Year 13, although actual essays will depend on the exam board. Another option to consider might be psychology, for example- although it is hard to find A-levels without much extended writing.

Have you thought about any alternatives to A-levels?

Hi

I don't think I'll be able to retake the year at my current school, however I am moving area and house this summer further from my school so I will need to move to a new school to repeat year 12. I do like physics and maths and I was performing well at those. The main reason why I started to decline was due to many things happening outside of school which affected school and overall life as a whole. I've dealt with the problems now and easter I have been putting in work. I do want to do a career related to maths and physics and I am comfortable that if I were to retake the year, I would get As maybe A*s at the end of year 12 when I repeat it and hopefully year 13 will be a great position too. In GCSE I performed best in Maths and Science too and I didn't study business GCSE so it maybe wasn't a good idea to pick that A level at the start as my English isn't the best either and I struggle at essay subjects. Sciences like Chem and Bio I think I could perform better in then any other A level because I overall just enjoy science and I'm better at mathematical and application questions as opposed to essay ones. I've given other A levels a thought just like psychology but have nothing to do with future aspiration + I don't think I would do well in them either. I've given BTECs a thought however I did struggle with coursework before during GCSE, I studied ICT, Computer Science and DT and the grades I got for those were Bs, the coursework grades dropped me a bit. I am better at exams then coursework 100% so I think a different A level to business would be better.

Thanks for the reply :smile:
Hi

I don't think I'll be able to retake the year at my current school, however I am moving area and house this summer further from my school so I will need to move to a new school to repeat year 12. I do like physics and maths and I was performing well at those. The main reason why I started to decline was due to many things happening outside of school which affected school and overall life as a whole. I've dealt with the problems now and easter I have been putting in work. I do want to do a career related to maths and physics and I am comfortable that if I were to retake the year, I would get As maybe A*s at the end of year 12 when I repeat it and hopefully year 13 will be a great position too. In GCSE I performed best in Maths and Science too and I didn't study business GCSE so it maybe wasn't a good idea to pick that A level at the start as my English isn't the best either and I struggle at essay subjects. Sciences like Chem and Bio I think I could perform better in then any other A level because I overall just enjoy science and I'm better at mathematical and application questions as opposed to essay ones. I've given other A levels a thought just like psychology but have nothing to do with future aspiration + I don't think I would do well in them either. I've given BTECs a thought however I did struggle with coursework before during GCSE, I studied ICT, Computer Science and DT and the grades I got for those were Bs, the coursework grades dropped me a bit. I am better at exams then coursework 100% so I think a different A level to business would be better.

Thanks for the reply :smile:

It sounds like you have given this a lot of thought, and I can see why you feel that science/maths A-levels are for you. In terms of content and learning new skills, a lot of people do find these A-levels very tricky. I do think retaking Year 12 and spending time on getting the foundations right could really help you.

However, it may also be that you need to lower your expectations slightly- Maths A-level especially can be a huge step up from GCSE.

If you end up with say AAB-BBB type grades after Year 13, this would still enable you to get into a good university, and wouldn't be a faliure at all.
I was in this situation. What I found is that not everyone gets A grades and not everyone gets into the top unis. To get there you gotta be on top of your game and few actually are. I went in on the back of A grades at GCSE and I realised early in that I was some way off the mark and no matter how hard I tried there was a limit of how good I was. I didn't get ABB which I thought I'd get but still got into a good uni.
Reply 9
Hi,

I've genuinely been lurking on TSR for years without posting but in reading this, you are in the exact position I was a year ago.

I dropped out midway through my exams and decided to retake the year at a different college - it was a devastating decision to make at first and so unexpected as I only decided to drop out last minute, but a year on I can say with confidence that retaking the year is the best decision I could possibly have made.

I am much more prepared for exams this time round, have a clear plan for my future now, and even socially I have made so many new friends at college. Personally more of my friends are repeat students than first timers - it isn't an uncommon thing at all.

Do what's best for yourself!

Having read your post carefully, I think that the best thing for you to do would be to apply to colleges or other sixth forms closer to your new house and start Year 12 again. It would be a fresh start and in hindsight, maybe Business studies was the wrong subject to pick so you could change that and also give yourself a much better chance of achieving higher grades in the Maths and Physics. Taking A levels over 3 years is not a big deal and the vast majority of unis wouldn't mind at all, especially since you have solid reasons for doing so - changing a subject and moving to a new area are good reasons to give if you don't want to talk about the personal thing that affected your motivation early in your current Year 12.

It is getting late to apply to other places so you should make this your priority - even if you are not fully decided on this course of action, it is worth getting an application in. You should also talk to your head of sixth form about it and let them know you are doing this because you want to retake Year 12. They may offer you the chance to retake Year 12 there after all and this is something to consider if you think the teaching is good at your current school. However, it would probably be easier to find a fresh start somewhere else.

I was in the same situation as you, at the start of the year, i bunked school a lot due to certain reasons, and it got so bad that i ended up moving right before my exams and did it in another school. I hadn't learnt anything until one month before the exams and i was scared i would have to re take my exams again. But in only a month, i read through the whole textbook thoroughly and did tons of past papers and got really good marks. If u try really hard, it doesn't matter if u wasted a whole year, take it from my personal experience, it'll all work out if you really work hard for the remaining time you have left and try your best.
hifirst of all, don't be too worried and stressed. I do math physics and biology and last year in my year 12, I missed a lot of school for sports, I was behind with content and obviously, in the end, I didn't do too well. But I changed my mindset this year into balancing what I enjoy, sports, and studying a reasonable amount of time. its taken me exactly 5 months, from December 2018 to April 2019 with serious commitment and a little help from friends in the three subjects to turn D's to B's and hopefully A's in the final. what I'm mainly trying to say is it's okay to re-sit as long as you work hard. Nothing good comes easy and if you just plan your time wisely, you can work miracles. For the time you have left this year, cram content, sit your papers and before that, explain to your parents your situation and that you will improve next year. Work hard from day 1 and slowly you'll see yourself doing better!!

Not everyone is academically inclined. Give it your best shot, then if the results aren't good look for vocational training in an area you will enjoy.
you should retake the year because you would have lots of time to relearn all the content. i did this and know that physics is like a grenade in the exams if you havent learnt anything because even some of the 1 mark questions on paper 2 take like 5 mins to calculate. do whats best for you as long as you are definitely sure your not going to loose motivation again because it would be utterly pointless. also just remember that your a different person from your siblings and dont be pressured into thinking your a failure even if you get B/C's.

Quick Reply

Latest