The Student Room Group

How often do you give speeches/presentations in med school?

Just curious
It will depend on the Medical School and the course structure. We give loads of presentations at mine, I've lost count of the number now. It's never in front of a huge number of people though. If you intercalate as well, you'll probably have to give presentations as well. You get used to them though if it's something you're worried about. I used to be very nervous before them but now I almost enjoy them.
Reply 2
As above will depend on medical school. I think PBL schools tend to do more than traditional schools.

I went to Birmingham and we did a presentation every 2 weeks in the first 2 years, and then more sporadically after that. It's usually with your tutor group who you will get to know very well though and you get used to it pretty quickly. I'm not someone who enjoys presenting or public speaking at all, but I didn't find it stressful personally.
Reply 3
Original post by usycool1
It will depend on the Medical School and the course structure. We give loads of presentations at mine, I've lost count of the number now. It's never in front of a huge number of people though. If you intercalate as well, you'll probably have to give presentations as well. You get used to them though if it's something you're worried about. I used to be very nervous before them but now I almost enjoy them.

so it won't be infront of all medical students?
Original post by MRZ_2001

Learning how to give presentations and how to lead meetings is an essential skill if you want career advancement (not just in medicine), so make good use of the opportunities you will get while at university.

No*, but it will be scarier sometimes (e.g. presenting a case in front of a whole team of doctors, some of whom enjoy ripping students apart). It's something you just need to get used to, I'm afraid.

*Not at my Med School at least
Reply 6
Just curious

To compare with everyone else's answers, I did 3-4 presentations in my time at medical school (I didn't intercalate either).

However, you are expected to 'present' in a more informal way in clinical years such as presenting a patient (their history, your findings, your differential diagnoses etc) to the team on the ward round or a patient you have spoken to, to the consultant. I used to find these 'scarier' than preparing a powerpoint presentation to present in front of other students (usually a small group).

Doing speeches and presentations isn't something you can avoid even once you've graduated but it does get much, much easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending