The Student Room Group

types of database to use with ocr a level computing programming project

hi. so i'm nearly done with my programming project (it's a booking system for a dinner thing in a hotel) and I was wondering if I could use microsoft Access.
It kind of feels like cheating? i don't know. are we allowed to use it?
You mean you've written an app in another language which needs a database back-end? Or are you looking to build the whole thing using MS Access using the Access forms?

I'd be careful about building the whole thing in Access forms because it'll be harder to meet the complexity requirements needed for A-Level unless you're going to be writing quite a lot of code behind the scenes using VBA.

However, if all you're using it for is just for the relational database with your tables, then there's really no difference between using Access compared with something like SQL Server or any other relational database. The only thing that Access gives you which isn't available in other databases are the Forms.
Reply 2
Original post by winterscoming
You mean you've written an app in another language which needs a database back-end? Or are you looking to build the whole thing using MS Access using the Access forms?

I'd be careful about building the whole thing in Access forms because it'll be harder to meet the complexity requirements needed for A-Level unless you're going to be writing quite a lot of code behind the scenes using VBA.

However, if all you're using it for is just for the relational database with your tables, then there's really no difference between using Access compared with something like SQL Server or any other relational database. The only thing that Access gives you which isn't available in other databases are the Forms.

Yeah I used python, i just need the backend to be in a database. I've made the interface and all the functionality in Python. I wrote up the data dictionary and drew the tables out and I have one linking table and I'll need a couple queries. Would I need to use Access SQL or can I just populate the tables with data and then do it without code?
Original post by thebgone
Yeah I used python, i just need the backend to be in a database. I've made the interface and all the functionality in Python. I wrote up the data dictionary and drew the tables out and I have one linking table and I'll need a couple queries. Would I need to use Access SQL or can I just populate the tables with data and then do it without code?

Whether you need to write SQL yourself to query the data really depends how complex it is, but the way you described it sounds something simple enough for the designer to handle. The designer is sometimes really bad at doing complex queries though.

Either way, if it's for anything linked back to your Python code, like a query where the app needs to read from the database, or where the app needs to insert/modify a row in the database, you'll need to cut+paste the SQL code that it generates into a string in Python anyway:
- https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25820698/how-do-i-import-an-accdb-file-into-python-and-use-the-data

Also there's a downside to using Access which is that you can't actually get the raw script/DDL (Data Definition Langauge) which creates and seeds your database, so if you want the DDL for your report, then you'd need to import the Access Database into something like MySQL or SQL Server anyway. But if you do that, then you'd already have the full database in MySQL or SQL Server, so then there'd be no point in using MS Access :smile:

The only reason I could think of for using Access would be to create your database with the UI designer if you find that easier to do, and then import it into MySQL or SQL Server afterwards, but that seems pointless because those have got their own designer tools as well. But whatever works best for you really.

MySQL is here (Dev edition is free): https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/windows/ you'd need to download the MySQL database and Workbench UI/designer separately.

or SQL Server (Again, Dev edition is free): https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sql-server/sql-server-downloads (make sure you install SQL Management studio too for the UI too)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you so much, youre a godsend
Original post by winterscoming
Whether you need to write SQL yourself to query the data really depends how complex it is, but the way you described it sounds something simple enough for the designer to handle. The designer is sometimes really bad at doing complex queries though.

Either way, if it's for anything linked back to your Python code, like a query where the app needs to read from the database, or where the app needs to insert/modify a row in the database, you'll need to cut+paste the SQL code that it generates into a string in Python anyway:
- https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25820698/how-do-i-import-an-accdb-file-into-python-and-use-the-data

Also there's a downside to using Access which is that you can't actually get the raw script/DDL (Data Definition Langauge) which creates and seeds your database, so if you want the DDL for your report, then you'd need to import the Access Database into something like MySQL or SQL Server anyway. But if you do that, then you'd already have the full database in MySQL or SQL Server, so then there'd be no point in using MS Access :smile:

The only reason I could think of for using Access would be to create your database with the UI designer if you find that easier to do, and then import it into MySQL or SQL Server afterwards, but that seems pointless because those have got their own designer tools as well. But whatever works best for you really.

MySQL is here (Dev edition is free): https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/windows/ you'd need to download the MySQL database and Workbench UI/designer separately.

or SQL Server (Again, Dev edition is free): https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/sql-server/sql-server-downloads (make sure you install SQL Management studio too for the UI too)
For my project my teacher said to use a networked database, i installed mysql server but have no idea how to acess it from a second computer
Original post by shriller44
For my project my teacher said to use a networked database, i installed mysql server but have no idea how to acess it from a second computer

How are you connecting to it from the same computer? There's actually no difference at all when connecting from another computer; if you're able to get it working when connecting using localhost or the loopback IP address (127.0.0.1) from the same computer, then you can connect to it from another computer using its network hostname or network IP address in the same way.

But you don't really need to connect to it from a second computer anyway since it's all the same thing, the code you'll be writing will be identical if you run everything on the same computer, so it doesn't make any difference to your solution or to your project.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending