The Student Room Group

Languages revision - Spanish

Hi, I am really struggling with tenses and subjunctive etc. in GCSE Spanish and I really struggle to remember rules and endings and I was wondering what tips people having for revising this?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Form tables , use a website called Seneca.
Reply 2
Yeah, I use that for science, wasn't sure if it was good for Spanish.
I will try that thanks
Original post by holly_puntonx
Form tables , use a website called Seneca.
Yeah I use it for every subject :smile:
What are you aiming at? If i can ask
Reply 5
What grade?
I would like to get as high as I can. I would be happy with a 6 and would love to get a 7, if I got an 8/9 I would be so so so happy haha
Yeah I use it for every subject

Original post by sqrt of 5
What are you aiming at? If i can ask
I'm working at level 8/9 in all my subjects :smile:
Original post by LWebb337
What grade?
I would like to get as high as I can. I would be happy with a 6 and would love to get a 7, if I got an 8/9 I would be so so so happy haha
Reply 7
Yeah wow that's great! I think Spanish is my weakest subject though I really struggle with it but do enjoy it and want to speak Spanish. At the moment I'm working at 7 in most subjects the occasional 8 but then I haven't done any proper mocks yet, but we do individual topics at the same level etc. I have year 10 mocks after easter. Are you year 11?
(Original post by holly_puntonx)
I'm working at level 8/9 in all my subjects :smile:
Ok then I found seneca a complete waste of time for languages. What I suggest is using quizlet. It's so easy to create a set of words/endings you don't remember and go over them every day for 10 minutes (at least that is what i do).

I wouldn't waste my time trying to learn all the endings for the subjunctive or all the endings in general because, let's be honest, at the end of the day you will only use first and third person singular and first person plural (most of the time). So just lean those and you should be fine. If you want to impress the examiners learn a bunch of subjective phrases and use them in your writing or speaking.

If you need further tips let me know! I found french and spanish easy subjects :v
Yeah I am year 11. I got a 5 in my November mocks for Spanish and then an 8 in March. it has always been one of my weakest subjects but its easy. You don't really need to learn much. I never revise for Spanish because you cant really. You just need to know the basics of your theme and know a few versatile verbs. Spanish is actually really easy when you know what you are doing. You'll gradually pick it up and find your strategies. Don't panic! :smile:
Yeah wow that's great! I think Spanish is my weakest subject though I really struggle with it but do enjoy it and want to speak Spanish. At the moment I'm working at 7 in most subjects the occasional 8 but then I haven't done any proper mocks yet, but we do individual topics at the same level etc. I have year 10 mocks after easter. Are you year 11?
(Original post by holly_puntonx)
Yeah I am year 11. I got a 5 in my November mocks for Spanish and then an 8 in March. it has always been one of my weakest subjects but its easy. You don't really need to learn much. I never revise for Spanish because you cant really. You just need to know the basics of your theme and know a few versatile verbs. Spanish is actually really easy when you know what you are doing. You'll gradually pick it up and find your strategies. Don't panic! :smile:

absolutely agree especially at gcse level
Spanish is one of those subjects you can put to the back because there isn't full on content like Ethics or Geography.
absolutely agree especially at gcse level
exactly i dont know why many people complicate their lives with this subject xd
Spanish is one of those subjects you can put to the back because there isn't full on content like Ethics or Geography.
Hello,
I do French, but I suppose MFL subjects link together in a way?
I would suggest investing in a CGP guide, they include a massive section on grammar, which really helps 😁. I don't know if it's the same in Spanish, but I do AQA and we only have to recognise the subjunctive because it's more for A Levels (unless i have been mislead 😣).

As mentioned, use Seneca, but do not rely on it too much. Duolingo is great for both vocab. and grammar and Memrise is good for vocab. Use Lyrics Training to get used to vocab through songs. If you are really struggling, look on YouTube because there are SO MANY useful videos! 😊

Finally, you might not like this, but write on a table. Literally, buy some felt tips/ markers that rub off and ask a friend/ parent to test you on a tense or a topic. Write down everything you can think of that is relatable (endings etc.) , and afterwards look to see if you got it right. If you haven't, write it on a post-it note and stick it on a wall so that you are constantly looking at it. After you have done, clean the table (obvs. 😂) and start memorising!

Oh, use mindmaps or revision clocks (google if unsure) and on the back, draw pictures/ phrases that help you remember the endings. Create flashcards and use Quizlet for tenses/ irregular verbs. Most importantly though, you have to learn to love the language and have fun with it, because then you'll want to learn it. Listen to music and immerse yourself in it or use social media with it to enjoy yourself.

Eventually, do practice papers to see if you've improved!
Hope this helps and sorry if it doesn't. 😥 Sorry it's soooo long!😯
Reply 14
Ok then I found seneca a complete waste of time for languages. What I suggest is using quizlet. It's so easy to create a set of words/endings you don't remember and go over them every day for 10 minutes (at least that is what i do).

I wouldn't waste my time trying to learn all the endings for the subjunctive or all the endings in general because, let's be honest, at the end of the day you will only use first and third person singular and first person plural (most of the time). So just lean those and you should be fine. If you want to impress the examiners learn a bunch of subjective phrases and use them in your writing or speaking.

If you need further tips let me know! I found french and spanish easy subjects :v

Thanks, I really appreciate any help and advice, yeah well that's lucky, I cannot imagine finding them easy. For me its English that I get, especially lit, but I always struggle with Spanish and find it very overwhelming. Also unlucky for me and people who were in my class last year, we had a rubbish teacher and we pretty much wasted as year, whereas everyone else had the teacher we have now, who is great, so they are all so ahead and know so much more, making it stressful just being in the same class and trying to keep up! :frown::frown:
Reply 15
For me I have to prioritise it because I really struggle :/

Neither haha! I used to stress over it but now I don't at all. Wish I hadn't taken it sometimes though.
Reply 17
ahhh I don't get how you don't find it hard. It's not fair lol
ahhh I don't get how you don't find it hard. It's not fair lol

You don't after a while, it gets easier. Once you have done your mocks, you will understand. Its honestly nothing to worry about.
Reply 19

Yeah, I'm not even rubbish at it but hate sitting exams and am one of the lowest in my class at the moment, I somehow have amazing people in my class ( a lot of them, getting 8s and 9s all the time) I recently did a listening which I found so hard but luckily the grades were easy to get so I got a 6. however I think I got half the marks and whilst taking the exam I felt sick because I had no clue what was going on at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending