The Student Room Group

Teacher Training 2020 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Name: Dauntless Killjoy
Location: from Birmingham but studying English literature in Norwich
Specific Course: Secondary English PGCE
Applying at: York, Oxford, (maybe warwick? I've still got some unis left to visit so I'm not completely sure yet).

Hi, i'm also applying for 2020 entry. I've got a lot of experience working with children of all ages both in schools and outside of it. (I won't go into detail cos it's a longish list). I'm working at a high 2.1 right now (67.5%) but I'm still concerned that I won't get into Oxford. so yeah, hi. :smile:
Started my work experience this week! :smile:

I'm going in on Wednesdays and am in history lessons throughout the day. Week off next week though as it's half term.

Need to write down a diary thing for my memory. :colondollar:
Original post by DauntlessKilljoy
Name: Dauntless Killjoy
Location: from Birmingham but studying English literature in Norwich
Specific Course: Secondary English PGCE
Applying at: York, Oxford, (maybe warwick? I've still got some unis left to visit so I'm not completely sure yet).

Hi, i'm also applying for 2020 entry. I've got a lot of experience working with children of all ages both in schools and outside of it. (I won't go into detail cos it's a longish list). I'm working at a high 2.1 right now (67.5%) but I'm still concerned that I won't get into Oxford. so yeah, hi. :smile:

Have you considered Reading? Their teaching department is ranked 3rd in the UK. Their have researchers at the forefront of Education with some really interesting areas of research such as the importance of teaching outdoors, behaviour management, etc. Plus the staff are lovely!
Original post by eilish1903
Have you considered Reading? Their teaching department is ranked 3rd in the UK. Their have researchers at the forefront of Education with some really interesting areas of research such as the importance of teaching outdoors, behaviour management, etc. Plus the staff are lovely!

Ooh I hadn’t actually, but I definitely will look them up now, thank you. :smile:
Walked into the School I'm doing work experience in. Collapsed timetable day, normal lessons abandoned, no History teachers in sight. Walked straight back out. I was really really surprised how easy it was for me to walk right in there and straight back out. Nobody stopped me, I didn't have to sign anything. Quite concerning really. :frown:
Original post by 04MR17
Walked into the School I'm doing work experience in. Collapsed timetable day, normal lessons abandoned, no History teachers in sight. Walked straight back out. I was really really surprised how easy it was for me to walk right in there and straight back out. Nobody stopped me, I didn't have to sign anything. Quite concerning really. :frown:

Oh dear!! That's not good at all!
Reply 26
Did you do your interview yet?
Original post by tomlam
Did you do your interview yet?
Applications for 2020 aren't open yet so I'd be surprised if there were any interviews.
Name: Lucy
Specific Course: PGCE Primary
Applying at: University of Nottingham

Hi all! :tongue:
When do applications open? I saw October 2019 but that might be wrong. When should I apply for 2020 start? Sorry for my ignorance :colondollar:

I’ve got experience out side of a school setting with teaching children online, but I think I need more experience. I emailed local schools and one said I could join last September as a helper and they would email me back. But no reply :frown: so I’m not sure what to do. :confused:

Anyway, so happy this thread exists :biggrin:
Original post by Lucycoldtea
Name: Lucy
Specific Course: PGCE Primary
Applying at: University of Nottingham

Hi all! :tongue:
When do applications open? I saw October 2019 but that might be wrong. When should I apply for 2020 start? Sorry for my ignorance :colondollar:

I’ve got experience out side of a school setting with teaching children online, but I think I need more experience. I emailed local schools and one said I could join last September as a helper and they would email me back. But no reply :frown: so I’m not sure what to do. :confused:

Anyway, so happy this thread exists :biggrin:

The date for applications for 2020 hasn't been announced yet. For 2019, it was in early October (from memory it was around the 9th October) which way much earlier than in previous years so, I would recommend trying to get everything in place (if you can) by the end of September.

I would ring / email the school. Remember they are busy places so if you haven't heard from them, they might need prompting. Failing that see if you can get some experience in another school ( it's always good to get experience in different schools anyway).

You have three choices for PGCE so have a think about where else you might want to apply to, visit them at open days and try to get as much information as possible.
Original post by Muserock
The date for applications for 2020 hasn't been announced yet. For 2019, it was in early October (from memory it was around the 9th October) which way much earlier than in previous years so, I would recommend trying to get everything in place (if you can) by the end of September.

I would ring / email the school. Remember they are busy places so if you haven't heard from them, they might need prompting. Failing that see if you can get some experience in another school ( it's always good to get experience in different schools anyway).

You have three choices for PGCE so have a think about where else you might want to apply to, visit them at open days and try to get as much information as possible.

Thank you so much!
I see this is probably where that info came from then!

Yes I am also looking at Leicester and Derby :smile:

Good point! Schools are extremely busy places. Kinda dumb of me to think they’d remember one email over a few months 😂

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m working on my personal statement right now and I’m doing a IGCSE in biology so I have all my qualifications in order 👍🏻 thanks for your advice!
Thank you so much!
I see this is probably where that info came from then!

Yes I am also looking at Leicester and Derby :smile:

Good point! Schools are extremely busy places. Kinda dumb of me to think they’d remember one email over a few months 😂

Thanks for the recommendation. I’m working on my personal statement right now and I’m doing a IGCSE in biology so I have all my qualifications in order 👍🏻 thanks for your advice!

No problem :wink: I did the IGCSE in biology last year too and start my PGCE this September. Please do ask if you have any other questions.
No problem :wink: I did the IGCSE in biology last year too and start my PGCE this September. Please do ask if you have any other questions.

Wow that’s awesome! Did you take yours through ICS? If so how were the exams? :biggrin:

This is exactly the route I’m doing 2019 summer exams for September 2020 entry 🤩.

I will phone primary schools this July/August to see if I can get any experience. 😊
Wow that’s awesome! Did you take yours through ICS? If so how were the exams? :biggrin:

This is exactly the route I’m doing 2019 summer exams for September 2020 entry 🤩.

I will phone primary schools this July/August to see if I can get any experience. 😊

Hi no, I bought a CGP revision guide and entered as an external candidate at a local college. It was quite an easy process to register with them and the CGP books are really good too. There's enough content in there to easily get at least a C.

I used YouTube videos - sciencewithhazel was excellent as she gives you tips on how to give perfect answers.

I also used past papers and I harshly marked them so that when it came to the exam, I knew the sort of terminology that would get me marks. The exams itself were ok but I then had to wait until August (which felt like a life time). Thankfully, I had a dissertation to focus on during that time!

Just a note that primary schools finish for the summer holidays in July so you might struggle to do work experience then. If you are able to do it earlier, that might help you as lots of others will be trying to do work experience at the same time.

Good luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi no, I bought a CGP revision guide and entered as an external candidate at a local college. It was quite an easy process to register with them and the CGP books are really good too. There's enough content in there to easily get at least a C.

I used YouTube videos - sciencewithhazel was excellent as she gives you tips on how to give perfect answers.

I also used past papers and I harshly marked them so that when it came to the exam, I knew the sort of terminology that would get me marks. The exams itself were ok but I then had to wait until August (which felt like a life time). Thankfully, I had a dissertation to focus on during that time!

Just a note that primary schools finish for the summer holidays in July so you might struggle to do work experience then. If you are able to do it earlier, that might help you as lots of others will be trying to do work experience at the same time.

Good luck!

Thanks very much for your advice. You’ve helped me so much. I have booked my exams and funny you mention science with hazel I’m looking at her Edexcel one now :biggrin:

Yes, I was thinking about asking to help in the future new term. But I think I should take your advice and ask ASAP :smile: thank you! 🤩
Reply 35
Name: Frankie
Specific course: PGCE secondary English
Applying at: schools direct and Reading University

Hi everyone so glad there are others getting in there early with a 2020 thread.

I am currently finishing up my last assignment for this year then will be sorting out the personal statement over the summer and doing some volunteer work with Scouts and have applied at the local secondary schools for work experience. Trying to get all the ducks swimming in the right direction ready for the applications opening. So nervous but so excited already. I am regarded as a mature student and have a young family but I am very determined that I will do this and make my family proud of me.
Original post by Frmj

I am currently finishing up my last assignment for this year then will be sorting out the personal statement over the summer and doing some volunteer work with Scouts and have applied at the local secondary schools for work experience. Trying to get all the ducks swimming in the right direction ready for the applications opening. So nervous but so excited already. I am regarded as a mature student and have a young family but I am very determined that I will do this and make my family proud of me.

Welcome! :smile: I’m sure you make your family proud every day but I understand what you mean :smile:

I’m a mature student too! We got this! 💪🏻 😎😎
Original post by Frmj

I'm sure your family are already proud of you, but that's very cute. :hugs: Welcome on board. :grin:
I really need to start looking at universities and comparing some courses.:unsure:
Reply 39
Thanks. I am massively helped by the fact I can not relocate 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending