The Student Room Group

English Lit Plagiarism?

Would memorising sample essays and utilising this into a response in a Literature exam be classified as plagiarism and affect my mark, or disqualify me?

For example memorising word by word from BBC Bitesize and stock essays that others have written.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
Yes I think it would be. It would be passing off someone else's work as your own. Writing your own essays is best.
Original post by Will_B123
Would memorising sample essays and utilising this into a response in a Literature exam be classified as plagiarism and affect my mark, or disqualify me?

For example memorising word by word from BBC Bitesize and stock essays that others have written.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Oh my goodness yes it would. They check the written exams for plagiarism too.
And besides this, you do not know the questions that will come up, so there is even less of a point to memorizing answers.

EDIT: As for consequences, you would almost 100% get 0 in your literature as a whole and could be facing other bans from sitting that exam board in the future, dramatically impacting what you can sit at A-level.
Just don't do it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi. Thanks for your help.

Would using 'ideas' from revision guides or previously made notes (from the internet) be plagiarism or not? Or is it just word for word?
Original post by barror1
Oh my goodness yes it would. They check the written exams for plagiarism too.
And besides this, you do not know the questions that will come up, so there is even less of a point to memorizing answers.

EDIT: As for consequences, you would almost 100% get 0 in your literature as a whole and could be facing other bans from sitting that exam board in the future, dramatically impacting what you can sit at A-level.
Just don't do it.
Reply 4
Original post by lilacdolphin
Yes I think it would be. It would be passing off someone else's work as your own. Writing your own essays is best.

Thank you for your help.
What on earth are these responses? Ofc not- they dont scan your work and put it through turnitin. Modern technology isnt great at deciphering all handwriting just yet. Furthermore, if you self-plagiarise- they cant tell anyways (unless if you have been posting all the essays you write online)

HOWEVER- the examiners arent retarded. Questions are always different and even if they appear similar- you will miss out on the specific nuance for that specific question and examiners can tell if someone is writing stuff down learnt verbatim or if someone is actually using their head. It's best to brush up your ability to ******** in the exam, however it will not hurt to write essays so you REALLY get an understanding on how to employ quotes and context in th essay and it gets you thinking. These points can be used deftly and will save you time as you arent making new connections as you go along in the exam itself. It's all there in your head!
Original post by Will_B123
Hi. Thanks for your help.

Would using 'ideas' from revision guides or previously made notes (from the internet) be plagiarism or not? Or is it just word for word?

If you want to use evaluation points that's fine, just make sure you're not quoting anything verbatim :yes:
Reply 7
Thanks so much for your response.

You're totally correct, to pick up marks you need to relate your response directly to the question, otherwise it's not relevant.
Original post by Kilam_Namoan
What on earth are these responses? Ofc not- they dont scan your work and put it through turnitin. Modern technology isnt great at deciphering all handwriting just yet. Furthermore, if you self-plagiarise- they cant tell anyways (unless if you have been posting all the essays you write online)

HOWEVER- the examiners arent retarded. Questions are always different and even if they appear similar- you will miss out on the specific nuance for that specific question and examiners can tell if someone is writing stuff down learnt verbatim or if someone is actually using their head. It's best to brush up your ability to ******** in the exam, however it will not hurt to write essays so you REALLY get an understanding on how to employ quotes and context in th essay and it gets you thinking. These points can be used deftly and will save you time as you arent making new connections as you go along in the exam itself. It's all there in your head!
Original post by lilacdolphin

can I plagiarise in GCSE English literature poetry section from online study resources ,even though I have rote learn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending