The Student Room Group

tilting and slipping friction forces help

Please someone help me? I keep getting close to the right answer but not quite.New Doc 2019-04-18 11.53.58_1(2)-compressed.jpg.jpegNew Doc 2019-04-18 11.53.58_2(2)-compressed.jpg.jpeg
N.B. I messed up on second half so I cut it out from my workings.
Reply 1
What answer were you given?

Edit - the 2nd line of your horizontal force looks a bit dodgy. Im presuming Fs = Fx, but even so, it looks like there is a sign wrong, as Pcos must be equal to the sum of the other two forces which hinder motion?
Original post by ddsizebra
Please someone help me? I keep getting close to the right answer but not quite.New Doc 2019-04-18 11.53.58_1(2)-compressed.jpg.jpegNew Doc 2019-04-18 11.53.58_2(2)-compressed.jpg.jpeg
N.B. I messed up on second half so I cut it out from my workings.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
sorry, already solved it! I forget the split N into horizontal and vertical components... 😪
Reply 3
New Doc 2019-04-18 13.30.36_1-compressed.jpg.jpeg another issue, I cannot do C. Basically I replaced 9.81 earth's gravity with 1.6 moon's gravity and converted the 400N back into kg and then multiplied by moon's gravity.
But my answer is wrong for some reason
Reply 4
So what did you get for c)?
They've done 21.6*9.8/1.6 to get 132.5kg.
The thing is, gravity (moon or earth) is a linear multiplier on both sides of the equation as its balance of forces, and all forces depend on gravity. Why isn't the mass the same? Its as though they've assumed the 400N for the packing case is constant, but it depends on gravity?
New Doc 2019-04-18 13.30.36_1-compressed.jpg.jpeg another issue, I cannot do C. Basically I replaced 9.81 earth's gravity with 1.6 moon's gravity and converted the 400N back into kg and then multiplied by moon's gravity.
But my answer is wrong for some reason
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by mqb2766
So what did you get for c)?
They've done 21.6*9.8/1.6 to get 132.5kg.
The thing is, gravity (moon or earth) is a linear multiplier on both sides of the equation as its forces, and both forces depend on gravity. Why isn't it the mass the same? Its as though they've assumed the 400N for the packing case is constant, but it depends on gravity?

But I thought we had to take the earth's gravity to get the box actual weight then multiply that by the moon's gravity
Reply 6
You have weights on both sides. Convert them both to masses (divide by earth gravity) and then multiply them both by moon gravity. The balance equation still holds?
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
You have weights on both sides. Convert them both to masses (divide by earth gravity) and then multiply them both by moon gravity. The balance equation still holds?

I think I get it. Thanx!
Reply 8
I wish your book did :-( ...
I think I get it. Thanx!
Reply 9
one more (hopefully). How do you question C? I'm assuming it means where I drew the question mark... New Doc 2019-04-18 14.16.38-compressed.jpg.jpeg
New Doc 2019-04-18 14.18.46-compressed.jpg.jpeg

n.b. what do you mean by book?
p.s. I've has less than 4 hours sleep last night as I work full time - which is why I'm asking dumb ass question...so appologies if this make me look stupid.
I meant the model solutions which are given for the questions, no offence was meant to you. We all make mistakes, its how you learn.
one more (hopefully). How do you question C? I'm assuming it means where I drew the question mark... New Doc 2019-04-18 14.16.38-compressed.jpg.jpeg

p.s. I've has less than 4 hours sleep last night as I work full time - which is why I'm asking dumb ass question...so appologies if this make me look stupid.
Reply 11
Original post by mqb2766
I meant the model solutions which are given for the questions, no offence was meant to you. We all make mistakes, its how you learn.

what's wrong with the given answers?
c) will be similar to the first question in this thread. Its a horizontal force which is pushing the box up. Its slightly greater than the answer to a) so it may even be right ...

The answers to the question yesterday, the third answer to the moon question, you mentioned another one in yesterdays thread ...
what's wrong with the given answers?

Quick Reply

Latest