The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Where is the best accomodation for UCL?

Current students: What accomodation do you live in and how is it?
Prospective students: Which accomodations will you apply to and why?

I'm really just looking for a general feel of all the accomodations before i make my decision. I am an undergrad. My preferences are: Single room(preferably en-suite, but if the shared bathrooms are nice then thats ok too), non-catered and good social. Size of the rooms don't really matter and proximity to UCL dosen't matter as long as it's not too far. Preferably around or less than £200 a week
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Im an incoming UCL postgrad student in Sept 2019. Personally, I am looking for an ensuite room for around 600ish pcm that is within 30mins commute to UCL with walking distance to the station, and also near supermarkets.

So far I’ve applied to UCL’s postgrad accomodation (My first pick is Bernard Johnson house, among 4 other student halls/intercollegiate houses), and I’ve also looked into sparerooms too for other options. Thing is with sparerooms, I feel like majority of the rooms that I like (and within budget) are either too far away or too small or has a shared bathroom:frown: I have come across a few that fits the bill though, but I do have reservations as I wouldnt be able to view the property and would have to opt for a skype call instead.

I am also looking into the UNITE accomodations, particularly the North Lodge, Station Court, and Emily Bowes one in Tottenham. From the pictures they all look quite nice and they are all ensuite rooms! I have read some bad reviews about the UNITE accomodations though so I havent yet made my mind up to book.

Anyways, what accomodations are you looking into?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Well i don't really know, which is why im asking. Im sorry if that sounds rude, it's the truth lol.
Original post by tmrxxx
So far I’ve applied to UCL’s postgrad accomodation (My first pick is Bernard Johnson house, among 4 other student halls/intercollegiate houses), and I’ve also looked into sparerooms too for other options. Thing is with sparerooms, I feel like majority of the rooms that I like (and within budget) are either too far away or too small or has a shared bathroom:frown: I have come across a few that fits the bill though, but I do have reservations as I wouldnt be able to view the property and would have to opt for a skype call instead.

Isn't Bernard Johnson house specifically for couples and families? I assume that they would give first priority to them over single students.
Moreover, I've also been looking for accommodation outside what UCL is offering and have found two places which seem a little decent and have some positive reviews online - the Goodenough College and International Student House.
You could try having a look at them.
Reply 4
Original post by anonhufflepuff
Isn't Bernard Johnson house specifically for couples and families? I assume that they would give first priority to them over single students.
Moreover, I've also been looking for accommodation outside what UCL is offering and have found two places which seem a little decent and have some positive reviews online - the Goodenough College and International Student House.
You could try having a look at them.

Hahaha yep! I thought I might just shoot my shot in hopes of getting an ensuite. I also applied for hawkridge, ann stephenson, new hall, and the intercollegiate handel mansion.
Thanks for your recommendation! I’ll try to look into them. Otherwise I’d probably look through sparerooms, still trying to stay below £170pw
Original post by tmrxxx
Hahaha yep! I thought I might just shoot my shot in hopes of getting an ensuite. I also applied for hawkridge, ann stephenson, new hall, and the intercollegiate handel mansion.
Thanks for your recommendation! I’ll try to look into them. Otherwise I’d probably look through sparerooms, still trying to stay below £170pw

Hey wait! Postgrads can apply for intercollegiate halls? I thought I read somewhere that these halls were only for undergrads?
Reply 6
Original post by anonhufflepuff
Hey wait! Postgrads can apply for intercollegiate halls? I thought I read somewhere that these halls were only for undergrads?

No!! Some are available for postgrads to apply!
Original post by HD-

I'm really just looking for a general feel of all the accomodations before i make my decision. I am an undergrad. My preferences are: Single room(preferably en-suite, but if the shared bathrooms are nice then thats ok too), non-catered and good social. Size of the rooms don't really matter and proximity to UCL dosen't matter as long as it's not too far. Preferably around or less than £200 a week

Hiya!

Are you perhaps considering private accommodation too?

We're Student Roost, a private student accommodation provider left with silver, gold and platinum ensuites as well as studios.

Conveniently located 20 minutes away from UCL, our prices start from £199 per week. But be quick the rooms are selling out fast.

If you'd like any help or further information visit our website (https://www.studentroost.co.uk/accommodation/london/mannequin-house) or feel free to pop us an email.

Thanks,

The Mannequin House Team- Student Roost London
[email protected]
Reply 8
Original post by HD-

Just finished at UCL.

I lived in Astor in 2015. I would recommend 4 halls (essentially the student hubs for 1st year undergrads imo.)

Astor, Schafer and Ramsey halls. They are all along Tottenham court road and only 5-10 min walk from uni, makes life ridiculously easy. Also its very sociable and a safe area. Only a few mins walk from the best places to go out/hang out - and only a 10 min journey into camden.

Ifor evans - I practically lived there at one point because all of my mates from my course lived there, its right in the heart of Camden - a 30 min walk or a 10-15 min bus journey to uni. SO much to do ( i ended up living in a flat for the rest of uni near Ifor) Most halls are in proximity to uni apart from a few eg gold- ( goldsomething??) thats hella far, near seven sisters i think? not sure, on the victoria line though. Avoid that if you can, it is cheaper though.

If you want a halls thats more affordable, social and near (ish) uni - Ifor is your best bet. If you want all of that plus walking distance aim for the other three. All quite sociable though, its just the luck of who you live with.
There are other halls closer to uni but no idea about them. The ones I named carry the largest undergrads
Original post by AnaGe
Just finished at UCL.

I lived in Astor in 2015. I would recommend 4 halls (essentially the student hubs for 1st year undergrads imo.)

Astor, Schafer and Ramsey halls. They are all along Tottenham court road and only 5-10 min walk from uni, makes life ridiculously easy. Also its very sociable and a safe area. Only a few mins walk from the best places to go out/hang out - and only a 10 min journey into camden.

Ifor evans - I practically lived there at one point because all of my mates from my course lived there, its right in the heart of Camden - a 30 min walk or a 10-15 min bus journey to uni. SO much to do ( i ended up living in a flat for the rest of uni near Ifor) Most halls are in proximity to uni apart from a few eg gold- ( goldsomething??) thats hella far, near seven sisters i think? not sure, on the victoria line though. Avoid that if you can, it is cheaper though.

If you want a halls thats more affordable, social and near (ish) uni - Ifor is your best bet. If you want all of that plus walking distance aim for the other three. All quite sociable though, its just the luck of who you live with.
There are other halls closer to uni but no idea about them. The ones I named carry the largest undergrads

thanks for your help. do you know how easy it is to swap accommodation if not offered what you want?

Latest

Trending

Trending