The Student Room Group

Date rape wristbands

A wristband that lets wearers check if their drink has been spiked with a date rape drug has gone on sale on Germany.

It works by you mixing your drink thoroughly, then putting a few drops of your drink onto a test spot (there are two in the sample one) on the wristband, and waiting two minutes to see if the area goes blue to indicate the date rape drug GHB.

While it is a good thing to prevent oneself being drugged and robbed or raped, is this method really practical? I can see two issues, both stemming from the assumption that you would want an enjoyable evening/night out.

Firstly is the 2 minute wait. This is really too long to consciously hold in your head to not take a sip, without putting a real dampener on your evening. If it were quick like checking your phone for the time, then it would be okay, but to be actively thinking continuously for two minutes that someone walking around or sitting nearby wants to rob or rape you when you're unconscious means you're not really enjoying your time. Why go somewhere that has a great enough chance of being drugged that you're going to spend 2 minutes waiting to have a sip each time your attention is turned momentarily elsewhere?

Second is actually doing it in front of someone who you simultaneously want to get along with, but also distrust enough to suspect them of being a robber or rapist. Actively keeping an eye on your drink is one thing, as it can be done naturally, but to come back from the toilet, or even after turning around for a moment, give your companion a dirty look before testing your drink and waiting two minutes (making small talk as to what you suspect them of?), is really awkward. That's really quite a lot of mental gymnastics to be performing when you want to get to know someone.

There is also the issue of other drugs being used. More tests could be included, but I imagine them giving a false sense of security. If you are worried about your drink being spiked, keep an eye on it, or have someone you trust keep and eye on it.

The upsides I can see are enabling someone to avoid drinking a GHB spiked drink if they test it, and deterring would be criminals from the specific individuals who are wearing the wristbands. These are both dealt with by looking after your drink though, so is it really worth going for a night out if you're bringing so much worry and paranoia with you?

Scroll to see replies

I agree wholly with what you've pointed out here. Science is getting there and these bands sound like a great idea, but the creators have got to reassess the situation to make sure they can get them a) working faster and b) in a more discrete manner.

For now though, I don't see any reason to stop them going on sale. It's better than nothing!
It's just a drug test pee cup strapped around your hand, you can buy simple test kits yourself, also it does not prevent you getting drugged after you do the test.
I swear the other day I saw something where these guys made this nail polish with which you stir your drink with your finger and depending on if your drink was spiked, your nail would change to a different colour.
Reply 4
Would be a bit creeped out if I was talking to a girl in a bar and out of nowhere she gets out a pipette and drops some of her drink onto her wristband
Top tip, you can't spike shots because they aren't around long enough.

Problem solved.
You would be creeped out by a girl ensuring her safety? :confused:
Original post by idk01
Would be a bit creeped out if I was talking to a girl in a bar and out of nowhere she gets out a pipette and drops some of her drink onto her wristband
it’s better than nothing.
Reply 8
If I'm talking to a girl at a bar and she tests her drink to see if I've spiked it, I'm walking away
Original post by yudothis
You would be creeped out by a girl ensuring her safety? :confused:
Then good for her.
Original post by idk01
If I'm talking to a girl at a bar and she tests her drink to see if I've spiked it, I'm walking away
Reply 10
And good for me, don't need that kind of worry in my life. If she was at a street bar in Spain or was having to talk against her will to someone acting very creepy, I'd be cautious as well. But I'm not a tourist scammer and I'm not creepy.
Then good for her.
Original post by idk01

Relief all round then.
Neither was Ted Bundy. In fact he was very charming. If your ego can't handle a woman checking her safety, then good ****ing riddance to you for her.
Original post by idk01
And good for me, don't need that kind of worry in my life. If she was at a street bar in Spain or was having to talk against her will to someone acting very creepy, I'd be cautious as well. But I'm not a tourist scammer and I'm not creepy.
While I don't drink or anything, and aren't into any of that culture associated with going to a bar to get with a woman or anything, or whatever that is, I don't think guys (or some women, who knows) would feel great about having every woman doubt them, what with the drug-testing kits being whipped out on every random fellow around.

If it were faster or more inconspicuous, yes...?

I imagine it'd look sketchy to watch the woman you're getting a drink for putting a drug test into her drink, though. xD
Reply 14
I'm a psychopath all of a sudden am I? You won't get very far in terms of relationships if you suspect everyone to be a serial killer before proven otherwise.
Neither was Ted Bundy. In fact he was very charming. If your ego can't handle a woman checking her safety, then good ****ing riddance to you for her.
That is not what I said, strawman much?

Will you? Or will you screen all the losers with fragile male egos who can't handle that a woman doesn't blindly trust you.
Original post by idk01
I'm a psychopath all of a sudden am I? You won't get very far in terms of relationships if you suspect everyone to be a serial killer before proven otherwise.
Reply 16
What's happening to society... sure it's come along away for the good but can't a man buy a woman a drink without her suspecting him to have spiked it in the hope of raping her? Can't a man open a door for a woman without being accused of being sexist and patronising? I'm not being a 'straw man' at all since you brought up Ted Bundy, who was a psychopath. Psychopaths are known to have long relationships with partners in order to exploit them, without the victim realising. At what point in a relationship would you let your partner buy you a drink without you worrying about whether or not it's spiked?
That is not what I said, strawman much?

Will you? Or will you screen all the losers with fragile male egos who can't handle that a woman doesn't blindly trust you.
I brought it up because you said "I am not creepy", my point was, so what, that means nothing.

And you are suddenly talking about partner. This is about date rape, clearly implies someone who you don't know that well yet. Or maybe it's just being out and about. you are already spinning a story to justify yourself. Sad.
Original post by idk01
What's happening to society... sure it's come along away for the good but can't a man buy a woman a drink without her suspecting him to have spiked it in the hope of raping her? Can't a man open a door for a woman without being accused of being sexist and patronising? I'm not being a 'straw man' at all since you brought up Ted Bundy, who was a psychopath. Psychopaths are known to have long relationships with partners in order to exploit them, without the victim realising. At what point in a relationship would you let your partner buy you a drink without you worrying about whether or not it's spiked?
Reply 18
Mate that Yudo lass is probably on one... Her water supply must be spiked for her/him to have that thought process.
Don't waste your time debating with these people on here... you'll probably get banned.
Original post by idk01
Reply 19
God all these little insults like 'sad'. You're making this so personal, learn to argue properly. The principle still applies, I'm not spinning the story. If you went on a date to a restaurant with someone from, lets say, Tinder, and they went up to the bar to order drinks for both of you, would you test it to see if it had been spiked? Honestly? That's not normal behaviour, that's paranoia, dear.
I brought it up because you said "I am not creepy", my point was, so what, that means nothing.

And you are suddenly talking about partner. This is about date rape, clearly implies someone who you don't know that well yet. Or maybe it's just being out and about. you are already spinning a story to justify yourself. Sad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending