The Student Room Group

Higher Geography 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anyone got any predictions for what’s likely/not likely to come up this year ?
I did terribly in my assignment and Atmosphere is impossible.
I would say a glaciated landscape question will be coming up instead of coasts.
Original post by Quez_72
Reply 23
We were doing a question on coastal/glacial land use conflicts today in class and said to him I don’t really understand them and he said learn them cause they’re likely to come up, hope it doesn’t though
Original post by Quez_72
I like the land uses, what one do you do? I did Swanage Bay last year for National 5 but we're doing the Cairngorms this year.
Original post by SI1403
We were doing a question on coastal/glacial land use conflicts today in class and said to him I don’t really understand them and he said learn them cause they’re likely to come up, hope it doesn’t though
Reply 25
Dorset Coast, I’m doing crash higher so can’t even use what I would’ve done in nat 5
Original post by AyrshireStudent

Original post by FlightVelocity
If you could DM the notes for any hydrosphere formation related stuff that would be great. Thanks :smile:

I like the land uses, what one do you do? I did Swanage Bay last year for National 5 but we're doing the Cairngorms this year.
I just mentioned things like farmers and tourists e.g leaving gates open, dropping litter, scaring animals etc. Solution was signs telling tourists not to drop litter, farmers padlocking gates etc.

Another was speed boats and fishermen. Solution was designated areas for different purposes within Swanage Bay (area for water sports, area for fishing etc).

Hope this helps in anyway. :smile:
Original post by SI1403
Dorset Coast, I’m doing crash higher so can’t even use what I would’ve done in nat 5
Reply 27
How does everyone revise? The only way I revised for my prelim was doing example answers and even though I got an A, I need other ways because there’s more to remember and it’s more unpredictable what will come up in the exam so need better revision techniques
I use flash cards - write a question on one side and then bulletpoint all answers on the other side
How do you revise for atmosphere??
Reply 30
I find that drawing a diagram of the air and current circulation then writing about each cell and that helps because it’s visual it’s easier to understand and remember how it works. For ITCZ I just remember the facts cause there’s not too much to remember. Global heat budget I also draw a diagram of how light is spread out with most of the information in the diagram instead of writing underneath it
Original post by andrew1902
How do you revise for atmosphere??
Original post by Bassboy887
Yeah im finding the course pretty decent so far, just a lot to remember. Quick question for anyone. Can anyone help with assignment stuff? So im doing mine on sandunes but we have to explain the results and then you say why the result is what it is but the problem is i dont know why the results would be the way they are. Also you can explain the results from a different angel saying why it is NOT what it should be etc but i just cant do that, like i dont know what to say. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Yeah i think the course is good, just gotta revise for the exam now, hydrosphere is a little challenging but glaciation is definitely better than that

I would say so too, glaciation has come up once (2017) since 2015. As well as this river features were newly reintroduced so I feel they will definitely be coming up. But for the likes of human environments; traffic in developing countries and housing in developed countries have respectively never come up in the new higher. And with paper 1 now out of 100 marks, I feel they could ask a few small (4-6 markers) on either or both.
Does anyone have any well structured answers for atmosphere kinda questions like the global heat budget and stuff?
Original post by MaddyThomson
Does anyone have any well structured answers for atmosphere kinda questions like the global heat budget and stuff?

I used this - https://cpb-eu-w2.wpmucdn.com/edublog.mgfl.net/dist/a/14/files/2015/05/3-Energy-Transfer-and-Atmospheric-Circulation-12au1uh.pdf

Its from 2015 so not from the most up to date course, but it's still for CfE Higher and aligns with the course spec. Hope this helps you :smile:

(Its not really well structured answers but it was the best info on atmosphere I could find that actually allowed me to answer a question on it)
(edited 4 years ago)
I think it's far more likely you'll see one or the other. The minimum number of marks per question I would expect would be 6, with the majority being either 8 or 10. I wouldn't be surprised if you got a 12 mark question on strategies and their effectiveness. There's not really any point in asking 4 mark questions because for the majority of topic areas you could be getting 4 marks without even having studied the course since a huge part of it is common sense.
Original post by hazbaz331
I would say so too, glaciation has come up once (2017) since 2015. As well as this river features were newly reintroduced so I feel they will definitely be coming up. But for the likes of human environments; traffic in developing countries and housing in developed countries have respectively never come up in the new higher. And with paper 1 now out of 100 marks, I feel they could ask a few small (4-6 markers) on either or both.
If it's Glasgow housing and Mumbai traffic it's safe to say I'm failing.
If it's Glasgow housing and Mumbai traffic it's safe to say I'm failing.

I was off school for 90% of the urban topic so sameeeee
The Leckie Leckie CfE Higher Geography Course Notes textbook is pretty helpful for Urban. (Which is a surprise because from experience LL is absoluetly abhorrent at producing pretty much anything - they are either vague or cover things well beyond the qualification level). Grab one from school and summarise the notes or order one from Amazon, it's really worth it.
does anyone have a list of all the possible questions that could come up for urban?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending