The Student Room Group

Want to give up

A levels are coming up and Im not understanding anything in philosophy. I hate this subject so much, I shoudnt have chosen it. I feel like I'm gonna fail it.

Idk what to do. There's no videos on YouTube that can help me learn it.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm guessing your in year 13. You definitely can do it, the first step to success is overcoming your mindset. Only you have to power to succeed at your subject. Hard work pays off
What exam board are you with?
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
What exam board are you with?

Aqa
Original post by *Alisha*
Thanks!!! Is the third document yours? Do you study philosophy?

No worries happy to help :h:
Yes i do however im with wjec eduqas
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
No worries happy to help :h:
Yes i do however im with wjec eduqas

Thanks again, for finding these links for me 😊
@gjd800 the philosophy expert in residence :tongue:
Thanks again, for finding these links for me 😊

no worries :h: if you need any help, just ask
Reply 10
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
@gjd800 the philosophy expert in residence :tongue:

Not sure about that! I will help where I can, but I've never taught below degree-level so I'm not sure how the exam boards want this stuff presented.

I do know that we spend a year unteaching the way students have been taught at A-Level, though. ha.
Reply 11
@Joe312 is your man for a-level stuff. he knows exactly what the score is!
Original post by gjd800
@Joe312 is your man for a-level stuff. he knows exactly what the score is!

Oh yes I came across Joe on one thread, thanks
Reply 13
A levels are coming up and Im not understanding anything in philosophy. I hate this subject so much, I shoudnt have chosen it. I feel like I'm gonna fail it.

Idk what to do. There's no videos on YouTube that can help me learn it.

Philosophy A level is very hard no doubt about it. The trouble is you don't know what's going to come up in the exam and there is no choice of questions.

Basically you should print off the spec: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/philosophy/specifications/AQA-7172-SP-2017.PDF

Every single bullet point on the spec there could be a potential 5 mark question, or the question could be to state a response in some cases. 12 mark questions will likely cover more than one bullet point, could ask for an explanation of a theory and an objection or multiple objections or a similarities/differences question.

So, you need to make sure to cover everything!

This is doable. There's 6 weeks left. You could cover the whole spec well 3 times over that time!

Yes it's a painful meatgrinder of a subject but it's worth it in the end for the mental training and grade in an impressive subject.

Time for an inspiring Nietzsche quote:

"Philosophy, as I have so far understood and lived it, means living voluntarily among ice and high mountains—seeking out everything strange and questionable in existence, everything so far placed under a ban by morality.

Those who can breath the air of my writings know that it is an air of the heights, a strong air. One must be made for it. Otherwise there is no small danger that one may catch cold in it. The ice is near, the solitude tremendous—but how serenely all things lie in the light. How freely one breathes. How much one feels lies beneath oneself!

How much truth does a spirit endure, how much truth does it dare? More and more that became for me the real measure of value."
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Joe312
Philosophy A level is very hard no doubt about it. The trouble is you don't know what's going to come up in the exam and there is no choice of questions.

Basically you should print off the spec: https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/philosophy/specifications/AQA-7172-SP-2017.PDF

Every single bullet point on the spec there could be a potential 5 mark question, or the question could be to state a response in some cases. 12 mark questions will likely cover more than one bullet point, could ask for an explanation of a theory and an objection or multiple objections or a similarities/differences question.

So, you need to make sure to cover everything!

This is doable. There's 6 weeks left. You could cover the whole spec well 3 times over that time!

Yes it's a painful meatgrinder of a subject but it's worth it in the end for the mental training and grade in an impressive subject.

Time for an inspiring Nietzsche quote:

"Philosophy, as I have so far understood and lived it, means living voluntarily among ice and high mountains—seeking out everything strange and questionable in existence, everything so far placed under a ban by morality.

Those who can breath the air of my writings know that it is an air of the heights, a strong air. One must be made for it. Otherwise there is no small danger that one may catch cold in it. The ice is near, the solitude tremendous—but how serenely all things lie in the light. How freely one breathes. How much one feels lies beneath oneself!

How much truth does a spirit endure, how much truth does it dare? More and more that became for me the real measure of value."

Thanks for the encouragement!
I keep telling people that they should always choose further math instead of their last (third or forth depending on how many subjects chosen) A level choice and I am never wrong.
Original post by TheTroll73
I keep telling people that they should always choose further math instead of their last (third or forth depending on how many subjects chosen) A level choice and I am never wrong.

I got like a 4 in maths and I hate and I don't think further maths is going to be any easier than philosophy.
I got like a 4 in maths and I hate and I don't think further maths is going to be any easier than philosophy.

i wasn't serious.

Can't blame ya tho. I disliked maths at GCSE level too. It's only once I started self-studying A level math and FM (and had the freedom to explore much beyond the lame syllabus) that I decided to study math at uni!

However I can't recommend doing that as I was not aware that the understanding required in the A levels is very shallow (and that you should do oapst papers under TIMED conditions, ran out of time in all exams) so I've pretty much prepared like I should have for, uh, well and oxbridge interview tbh. Still got an A that time lol but blew up all my chances for oxbridge... So then I realized how much I hated exams because they didn't actually test quantity over quality.

the story could go on for a long time so I'll leave it at that. What I did next is none of anyone's business anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest