The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Halls???

I've accepted my offer to start this September, I'm jut wondering if there's anyone else in the same boat looking at accommodation and halls at the moment and what their thoughts are?

Also what are the opinions on halls from those who have lived in them?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I've accepted Sussex too and personally, I liked Northfield and East Slope the best (East slope is my first choice though) :smile:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
I am too! I've submitted my housing app but I keep changing it because there seems to be so many mixed opinions, it's so hard to determine which is the best :s I put down East Slope but the rent is just so outrageous so i'm just like ????????
Reply 3
Cool! What r u planning on studying? N what sort of halls u looking for? Like social etc etc
Original post by elser
I've accepted Sussex too and personally, I liked Northfield and East Slope the best (East slope is my first choice though) :smile:
Reply 4
Cool! I’m quite stuck atm. What’s ur reason for keeping changing choices? What sort of halls/flat mates are you after?
Original post by Olie212
I am too! I've submitted my housing app but I keep changing it because there seems to be so many mixed opinions, it's so hard to determine which is the best :s I put down East Slope but the rent is just so outrageous so i'm just like ????????
Reply 5
Idk, I think it's mainly because I want an ensuite but at the same time I'm not sure if it's worth the extra cost so I'm just umming and ahing lol. And I think I'm looking for like a more social housing so I'm not like left out during freshers if ygm lmao and I keep hearing different things like Northfield is very quiet/unsocial but then I hear from someone else that it isn't so it's just like ? ? ? ? ? Basically I'm just super undecided lol, what have you put down then?
Reply 6
I’m literally in exactly the same boat it’s like an actual head **** getting different opinions from everyone. Atm I’ve got East Slope first then I’m in two minds between Northfield and Swanborough!
Reply 7
Ikr!! I put East Slope 1st and East Slope townhouse 2nd (just because i rly want east slope although I might change this loool), Brighthelm 3rd just because the idea of not having to pay for weekly washing on top of everything else sounds ideal and then I put swanborough just because it's super central
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Haha yeah that sounds rly good! I like the idea of the fact it sounds so clean but I’m rly second guessing myself now 😫 I liked Brighthelm but it was shared bathroom so I put it a bit lower down. I’ve heard pretty good things about swanborough but then it’s not a lot of difference once you start looking at price
Reply 9
Saying that I’ve just changed my application around to Brighthelm and then Park Houses I cant make my mind up 😂
Brighthelm is definitely better! I saw it in person and it's really lovely - kind of homely feel and not too many people.
Original post by tiasalih
Saying that I’ve just changed my application around to Brighthelm and then Park Houses I cant make my mind up 😂
Reply 11
Rly? Are you applying for this year too??
Yeah, for sociology :smile:
Rly? Are you applying for this year too??
Reply 13
Cool! And for halls? Have you put Brighthelm as your first then? ☺️
I was going to but I'll be 17 when I start, so I couldn't.
Cool! And for halls? Have you put Brighthelm as your first then? ☺️
Reply 15
Oh! Are you at college atm?
Oh so what does that mean if you're 17, you can't apply for the onsite accommodation or what?
Original post by elser
I was going to but I'll be 17 when I start, so I couldn't.
No, you can, but only East Slope, Park Village and Stanmer Court
Original post by Olie212
Oh so what does that mean if you're 17, you can't apply for the onsite accommodation or what?
I was so torn between Northfield and East Slope, obviously East Slope is nicer with the double bed bigger kitchen with two cookers, study room and the fact it's the newest build. But Northfield seems so nice cause it's on the edge of campus with really nice views, seems pretty quiet but has the nicest bar on campus really close, only a quick walk to the Downs... I decided on Northfield for my first, honestly it was the steps at East Slope that swung it, don't think I could survive doing them every day...
Reply 19
Hi there!! I'm currently in the process of moving OUT from Northfield after my first year. I've been to friends' places when they lived in other accommodation e.g East Slope, Lewes Court, Stanmer Court and hopefully I can help out.

1. Stanmer Court looks nice, and it's really close to the train/bus stations. Spacious kitchens. Gets really hot during the summer though. The whole thing is behind a locked gate so it's super private and quiet apart from the noise of vehicles. It's not very social from what I hear, but is a good place for those who go to the city a lot or want somewhere quieter.

2. Lewes Court - a little grotty, but still decent. It looks homey with its carpet and curtains, has an en-suite (if you pick en-suite rooms), and is liveable if you keep it clean albeit hard to decorate. Basically a low-budget Northfield.

3. Northfield - I lived here. It's literally at the end of campus, so it's super quiet apart from the sounds of cows mooing. Spacious kitchens/lounges, Amazon lockers really close by, there's a good social life because something is always happening in Northfield Bar. But it's also a stupidly long walk to classes. Expect aching feet if you want to make the 15-20 minute walk to the Pevensey building. You get your kitchen cleaned weekly, and your en-suite cleaned monthly. Tons of storage space. Personally I wouldn't choose to live in Northfield again, the only reason being how far away it is from everything. If it were closer to the centre of campus I'd pick it again immediately.

4. East Slope - one of my best friends lived here this year. Super spacious kitchens, locked study rooms in the buildings so you have a quiet library-esque space to revise, the doors unlock with a keycard. Tons of storage space all over the place. It has a very sleek grey theme and is the most high-tech and comfy looking accommodation, and has small double beds instead of the usual single. If you can afford the rent for Northfield then you can probably afford East Slope, in which case choose East Slope because it's closer to everything. It's also really close to the Co-op and most class buildings. The only downside is the enormous crazy flight of stairs you have to walk up to get there, OR the enormous slope if you want to walk the long way.

5. I've never been inside Swanborough, and not many people live there, but from what I know it's basically a slightly older version of Northfield which is a lot closer to the centre of campus. The only downside I can really see is that the windows are stained glass at the bottom rather than frosted - so if you want privacy, you have to pull your blind all the way down.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest