The Student Room Group

Question about plasters?

When do you know when to use a plaster and when not to,do I need to use plasters every time I have a cut or what does it depend on,and how long do you keep them on?I just get fed up because they never stick properly or just don't have any around-so I just usually just clean out the cut with some antiseptic,is that fine?
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
When do you know when to use a plaster and when not to,do I need to use plasters every time I have a cut or what does it depend on,and how long do you keep them on?I just get fed up because they never stick properly or just don't have any around-so I just usually just clean out the cut with some antiseptic,is that fine?

There are no rules. I would only cover it up if it was bleeding or not closed properly. Using antiseptic is fine.
Are you getting any help with this?
Original post by Anonymous
There are no rules. I would only cover it up if it was bleeding or not closed properly. Using antiseptic is fine.
Are you getting any help with this?

I just put pressure on until it stops bleeding,if it does,and try my best to clean it.How long do you keep the plaster on because most of the time I get fed up and take it off after 10 minutes if I do bother using one.No Im not getting any help with this :frown: Paranoid about getting an infection though.
I just put pressure on until it stops bleeding,if it does,and try my best to clean it.How long do you keep the plaster on because most of the time I get fed up and take it off after 10 minutes if I do bother using one.No Im not getting any help with this :frown: Paranoid about getting an infection though.

Sounds like the right thing to be doing with the pressure and cleaning. I personally prefer not putting plasters on for cuts and letting them dry up, unless they are in a place where they might get irritated. Once there is a scab, the chances of getting an infection are lower.
Is there anyone you trust enough to talk to?
Sounds like the right thing to be doing with the pressure and cleaning. I personally prefer not putting plasters on for cuts and letting them dry up, unless they are in a place where they might get irritated. Once there is a scab, the chances of getting an infection are lower.
Is there anyone you trust enough to talk to?

No,no one knows about it.I do a good job at hiding it.I don't trust my friends,I feel like I'll end up getting told off and have people shouting in my face. :frown: Paranoid about taking it too far,when would one know they should get stitches,never taken it that far but just incase..?
If anyone did shout, I'm sure it would only be because they cared about you. Have you thought about speaking to your GP? Might be easier speaking to someone who is not emotionally involved.

Here is some helpful info about when a wound might need stitches or antibiotics.
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/accidents-first-aid-and-treatments/does-my-cut-need-stitches/
If anyone did shout, I'm sure it would only be because they cared about you. Have you thought about speaking to your GP? Might be easier speaking to someone who is not emotionally involved.

Here is some helpful info about when a wound might need stitches or antibiotics.
https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/accidents-first-aid-and-treatments/does-my-cut-need-stitches/

Thank you. I thought about that,but every time I go to the GP e.g. for asthma I always see a different GP because they always change in my surgery so I never seen the same GP twice even,so I don't really trust or have a relationship with my GP and they always try and hurry you out the door as quickly as possible.If I did go see my GP what kind of things could they do for me since Im not interested in doing CBT :/
Thank you. I thought about that,but every time I go to the GP e.g. for asthma I always see a different GP because they always change in my surgery so I never seen the same GP twice even,so I don't really trust or have a relationship with my GP and they always try and hurry you out the door as quickly as possible.If I did go see my GP what kind of things could they do for me since Im not interested in doing CBT :/

There will be some GPs who are there long term (i.e. the partners - they own the practice so are likely to leave). You could always ask at reception who the doctors who work there long term are and make an appointment with them. It might also be worth asking for a double appointment - this way you will have more time and the doctor will know straight away that it is going to be a more complicated appointment.

Sometimes, even talking to someone is helpful (though not easy - totally appreciate this). They might be able to direct you towards online resources or any local support groups etc. I guess medication is also an option, though they may want to refer you to CAMHS if you are still under 18.
(i.e. the partners - they own the practice so are likely to leave)

I meant unlikely, sorry
There will be some GPs who are there long term (i.e. the partners - they own the practice so are likely to leave). You could always ask at reception who the doctors who work there long term are and make an appointment with them. It might also be worth asking for a double appointment - this way you will have more time and the doctor will know straight away that it is going to be a more complicated appointment.

Sometimes, even talking to someone is helpful (though not easy - totally appreciate this). They might be able to direct you towards online resources or any local support groups etc. I guess medication is also an option, though they may want to refer you to CAMHS if you are still under 18.

I just get so anxious going to the GP even if it's for little things like a prescription for an inhaler.I never make my own appointments,my Mum always makes them.

Im 18 now,so can't go to CAMHS.I don't know what the likelihood of me getting medication is and if they'll prescribe me something.I don't know I guess Im just trying to rationalise my behaviour and find a reason not to go to the GP :frown:
Gauze tape, steristrips, or little bandage rolls.

They're cheap and help, trust me.

I once cut myself pretty bad while dicing onions (I was out of practice and had just sharpened my knife for a good while, pretty damn sharp. We're talking anime sharp.) and had to go to A and E a few nights before my exam. The cut was about an inch deep into my left thumb.

If I had some antiseptic and gauze/etc, I'd have been fine.

So, if you have gauze, little strips, some bandages, and antiseptic, you won't need to go to A and E.
I just get so anxious going to the GP even if it's for little things like a prescription for an inhaler.I never make my own appointments,my Mum always makes them.

Im 18 now,so can't go to CAMHS.I don't know what the likelihood of me getting medication is and if they'll prescribe me something.I don't know I guess Im just trying to rationalise my behaviour and find a reason not to go to the GP :frown:

I can relate, I hate going too. But, as cliche as it sounds, they see a lot of people with issues like this and they aren't there to judge.

Some GPs will prescribe medication, some may refer to the mental health team. But either way, they would still want to see you back to monitor how you are doing.

Do you have any support on-line?
I can relate, I hate going too. But, as cliche as it sounds, they see a lot of people with issues like this and they aren't there to judge.

Some GPs will prescribe medication, some may refer to the mental health team. But either way, they would still want to see you back to monitor how you are doing.

Do you have any support on-line?

And the GPs I always have to see happen to be some old men that make me feel uncomfortable because they're always trying to hurry me up and make me feel like Im wasting their time or something.

Except CBT and counselling,what else could they offer me?Would they help me get some diagnosis for my mental illness or not not really?I just feel a bit ashamed and not sure how I feel verbally expressing my problems,Im nto good at verbalising my problems and better at writing it down :frown:

No not really,maybe mentioned the problem once,but kept it more quiet.
Original post by Callicious

That's cute :smile: Hello to you too.
And the GPs I always have to see happen to be some old men that make me feel uncomfortable because they're always trying to hurry me up and make me feel like Im wasting their time or something.

Except CBT and counselling,what else could they offer me?Would they help me get some diagnosis for my mental illness or not not really?I just feel a bit ashamed and not sure how I feel verbally expressing my problems,Im nto good at verbalising my problems and better at writing it down :frown:

No not really,maybe mentioned the problem once,but kept it more quiet.

CBT, counselling, medication and referral to the mental health team would be the main options. They may be able to give you a diagnosis or they might refer you to the mental health team for them to make it.

Writing it down is always an option, I'm sure you wouldn't be the first person to do it.

Let me know if you ever want to chat. I'm a few years older than you but have been where you are.
CBT, counselling, medication and referral to the mental health team would be the main options. They may be able to give you a diagnosis or they might refer you to the mental health team for them to make it.

Writing it down is always an option, I'm sure you wouldn't be the first person to do it.

Let me know if you ever want to chat. I'm a few years older than you but have been where you are.

Idk how I feel about CBT because I read about the concept and spoke to someone who had it and I just don't think it's for me.I'll think about going to my GP if I think Im becoming worse.

Maybe I should keep a journal.

Would be great,PM me please :smile:
Idk how I feel about CBT because I read about the concept and spoke to someone who had it and I just don't think it's for me.I'll think about going to my GP if I think Im becoming worse.

Maybe I should keep a journal.

Would be great,PM me please :smile:

Some places offer on-line CBT - might be worth trying to see if it's for you. I think you have to be referred for it by your GP though. I've never tried but have friends who have found it helpful.

Keeping a journal might be helpful.

I've sent you a PM
Original post by Callicious
Gauze tape, steristrips, or little bandage rolls.

They're cheap and help, trust me.

I once cut myself pretty bad while dicing onions (I was out of practice and had just sharpened my knife for a good while, pretty damn sharp. We're talking anime sharp.) and had to go to A and E a few nights before my exam. The cut was about an inch deep into my left thumb.

If I had some antiseptic and gauze/etc, I'd have been fine.

So, if you have gauze, little strips, some bandages, and antiseptic, you won't need to go to A and E.

This is embarrassing but just saw your post now :colondollar: My head must have been in the clouds.Thanks for that,I'll get gauze-that's the only thing I don't have.

Quick Reply

Latest