The Student Room Group

Any advice for getting a grade 8 in Maths and English in less than month?

I've done little to no revision for both of these and for English I'm struggling on how to revise for this (especially poetry!). For maths I'm currently using MathsGenie(barely tho) but I don't feel like I'm improving quick enough.

For Maths and English Lit I'm working at a grade 5 and English Lang a grade 4. I need to do well for Maths if I want to do Maths for A Levels (>_< )

Any advice please?
Hi! It might seem like you’ve left it too late, but if you put the work in now, there’s nothing that can come in your way. For english, try and analyse a poem a day and every two days write an essay comparing them. Make your analysis is of a high level. For the other books, find key quotes from each act/ theme/ character and use YouTube for some grade nine analyisis, there’s tonnes. Do practise question upon practise question and you can certainly get that 8/9. For maths, I’d say use mathswatch if you have it and cover all of it. Alternatively, you could use dr frost maths and answer his full coverage test papers for each topic<<< they’re extremely helpful.
Hope that helps
Reply 2
I think to get started with revising the poetry section, make some essay plans. It's a way of consolidating what you know about the poems already and you'll hopefully have a better idea of what poems you need to learn. Then do an essay, or even just a mini-essay (like just once paragraph) to hopefully improve the way you write.
For maths do a past paper now and mark it. Then take a good look at what went wrong and relearn that area.
Mr Bruff and Mr Salles
any predictions for AQA

Blood brothers

Christmas carol

Romeo and Juliet

Love and relationship poem
Reply 5
Original post by gymdandy211
Hi! It might seem like you’ve left it too late, but if you put the work in now, there’s nothing that can come in your way. For english, try and analyse a poem a day and every two days write an essay comparing them. Make your analysis is of a high level. For the other books, find key quotes from each act/ theme/ character and use YouTube for some grade nine analyisis, there’s tonnes. Do practise question upon practise question and you can certainly get that 8/9. For maths, I’d say use mathswatch if you have it and cover all of it. Alternatively, you could use dr frost maths and answer his full coverage test papers for each topic<<< they’re extremely helpful.
Hope that helps

Seriously thank you! Yesterday I did 2 poems and I plan to only analyse in full detail 5 quotes per poem (>_< )Today I will do another 2 poems and try do an essay plan(never done one before) for the previous 2.

For Maths I'll have to do it everyday from now on to learn the content (*^* )
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
I think to get started with revising the poetry section, make some essay plans. It's a way of consolidating what you know about the poems already and you'll hopefully have a better idea of what poems you need to learn. Then do an essay, or even just a mini-essay (like just once paragraph) to hopefully improve the way you write.
For maths do a past paper now and mark it. Then take a good look at what went wrong and relearn that area.

Thank you so much! I haven't done an essay plan before but I've been told it's super helpful (^_^ )
Reply 7
for maths, i suggest you learn how to answer the harder 4/5 mark questions through youtube videos or mathswatch then practice them using mathsgenie. when you do practise exam questions, keep doing the same topic of questions (eg keep doing cosine rule questions) while watching the mathswatch video for it over and over again until you can answer them without having to refer back to the video. i did this for my maths mock exam and got a 6 but i hope to get a 7 in the real exams, i hope this helps!!

Quick Reply

Latest