The Student Room Group

Help, Self-studying 6 A-level in one year

Hello Guys,

I’m from overseas and I finished high school in my home country. I am planning to study 6 A-levels (science, maths, German and psychology) in one year (maybe 1.5 year).

The thing is I want to sign as private candidate but because I’m not very familiar with UK system idk how and when to take the tests and where do I find materials.

And is it okay if I just set for the exams ? Do I need to do assignments, lab work,etc ? And will it affect my grades or university admission?

I know it’s tough to do 6 A-levels but I want to give it a try :smile:

Please help and I will much appreciate it

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JawanEshanov
Hello Guys,

I’m from overseas and I finished high school in my home country. I am planning to study 6 A-levels (science, maths, German and psychology) in one year (maybe 1.5 year).

The thing is I want to sign as private candidate but because I’m not very familiar with UK system idk how and when to take the tests and where do I find materials.

And is it okay if I just set for the exams ? Do I need to do assignments, lab work,etc ? And will it affect my grades or university admission?

If normal humans do 3/4 alevels over the course of two years, what makes you so certain you can do twice the amount in half the time? :confused:
Haha actually I’m not 100% sure, but I thought that since I finished high school with good grades and did foundation year it wouldn’t be that impossible. I mean i kinda have a background on those subjects
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Super humans who revise like 6-8 hours a day for 2 years straight do 4 a levels ( and most of them still don't feel 100% confident before the exams), now you wanna do 6 in 1 year GL!
For science a level there is a practical 'exam' which you have to pass to get into good uni for my exam board I have to do around 12 experiments(per a level) which are externally assessed. You will basically have to do 36 practicals with full detailed report in 1 year.
Hello Guys,

I'll answer your question anyway, even though I think you're crazy.

First of all, if you're studying privately then you can either get a tutor, do an online course or just simply teach yourself. Materials can be found online and on the various awarding bodies websites. You can also buy textbooks.

For the exams you can take them at a private examination centre, these centres will accomodate your exams only, they will not teach you anything. For the sciences you will have to take practicals, these may/may not be offered by centres so you should contact them and ask them - I believe they may charge extra fees which could be very high. As for the German I believe there is a speaking exam involved, once again this should be discussed with the centre.

You can search for and find exam centres all over the UK by using this tool: https://cloudlearn.co.uk/ExamCentres

My advice to you is to think about whether you want to get tutor or learn yourself. Also, choose which boards you would like to take the subjects with and check their specifications for the exam details. Once you are familiar with the layout of the course and how it is assessed, contact exam centres and check if they accomodate the subjects you are doing and also ask them whether they will accomodate for any practical elements.

Remember exam centres charge different fees so it's good to shop around to get a good deal.

Good luck
Reply 5
Hello Guys,

As someone who has done self study for one subject. Let me tell you, unless you have great contacts - it’s extremely hard and 6 subjects probably is impossible.
Reply 6
Where are you planning to sit for these exams? Different parts of the world have different specifications and different times of the year to take the exams.
This is mad dangerous. You’re going to have a mental breakdown in like 1 month. There’s so much content for all of them, 2 years is already short and you want to do 6?? Just because you like the sound of them doesn’t mean you’re going to actually like studying them, especially by yourself. You’re being a bit naive. I would suggest dropping that number to 4, but I don’t know how you will do science practicals at home. Plus, it will be very expensive. You have to pay hundreds to be entered independently for your exams. (It can be £150 to be entered for one exam board subject. Imagine for 6.) Then you have to buy all your text books. It’s also stressful because you’re not in the normal school environment and you have to motivate yourself every single day. You need to speak to a teacher and reconsider your choices.
Hello Guys,

WHO are you??? Or should I say WHAT are you???? 6?!?!?!?!?!
Well good luck with that mate - let me know if it works out because I'll have one hell of a level of respect for you
Reply 9
Most universities don't care if you are a private candidate (Even though this may vary for certain subjects. Be sure to contact your universities).

Make sure you plan on how you are going to obtain a reference
Original post by xipo7101
Super humans who revise like 6-8 hours a day for 2 years straight do 4 a levels ( and most of them still don't feel 100% confident before the exams), now you wanna do 6 in 1 year GL!
For science a level there is a practical 'exam' which you have to pass to get into good uni for my exam board I have to do around 12 experiments(per a level) which are externally assessed. You will basically have to do 36 practicals with full detailed report in 1 year.

“Exam board” do yo mean AQA, Edecxel, etc? Cause I always see these organizations names but didn’t really understand what do they stand for lol
And I guess I have to register in an exam board to be taken as a private candidate ?

So for Physics, biology and chemistry As and A2 that’s a total of 36 experiments with the reports ? Gosh that’s a lot of work :redface:

I know it’s gonna be tough but I have plenty of free time and I have some background on these subjects so hopefully I will be able to do them, if not in one year I will still have additional 6 months :smile:
Original post by Compost
Where are you planning to sit for these exams? Different parts of the world have different specifications and different times of the year to take the exams.

I assume UK
“Exam board” do yo mean AQA, Edecxel, etc? Cause I always see these organizations names but didn’t really understand what do they stand for lol
And I guess I have to register in an exam board to be taken as a private candidate ?

So for Physics, biology and chemistry As and A2 that’s a total of 36 experiments with the reports ? Gosh that’s a lot of work :redface:

I know it’s gonna be tough but I have plenty of free time and I have some background on these subjects so hopefully I will be able to do them, if not in one year I will still have additional 6 months :smile:

You register at the centre who sort that out for you. Exam boards are basically companies that make exams. You can choose to go with any of them
Original post by Compost

I came to UK 2 months ago and I will be free for nearly 18 months before getting into a university
Original post by esrever
Most universities don't care if you are a private candidate (Even though this may vary for certain subjects. Be sure to contact your universities).

Make sure you plan on how you are going to obtain a reference

Do you mean a reference for university? Cause I got that covered
I hope you don’t mean that I will need a reference to become a private candidate, because that’s gonna be a bit troublesome :frown:
Do you mean a reference for university? Cause I got that covered
I hope you don’t mean that I will need a reference to become a private candidate, because that’s gonna be a bit troublesome :frown:

Reference for university of course
If you succeed in this like wow, i’ll buy you a stack of beer lol
I came to UK 2 months ago and I will be free for nearly 18 months before getting into a university
Original post by thestudent33
I'll answer your question anyway, even though I think you're crazy.

First of all, if you're studying privately then you can either get a tutor, do an online course or just simply teach yourself. Materials can be found online and on the various awarding bodies websites. You can also buy textbooks.

For the exams you can take them at a private examination centre, these centres will accomodate your exams only, they will not teach you anything. For the sciences you will have to take practicals, these may/may not be offered by centres so you should contact them and ask them - I believe they may charge extra fees which could be very high. As for the German I believe there is a speaking exam involved, once again this should be discussed with the centre.

You can search for and find exam centres all over the UK by using this tool: https://cloudlearn.co.uk/ExamCentres

My advice to you is to think about whether you want to get tutor or learn yourself. Also, choose which boards you would like to take the subjects with and check their specifications for the exam details. Once you are familiar with the layout of the course and how it is assessed, contact exam centres and check if they accomodate the subjects you are doing and also ask them whether they will accomodate for any practical elements.

Remember exam centres charge different fees so it's good to shop around to get a good deal.

Good luck

Lol thanks :biggrin:, I TRULY appreciate your help :smile:
Original post by bmgrace
As someone who has done self study for one subject. Let me tell you, unless you have great contacts - it’s extremely hard and 6 subjects probably is impossible.

Sorry I didn’t understand why would I need contacts?
Yeah the guys here are saying the same but I guess I will try my best and I have a bit of background on those subjects.
I think your going to find A Levels much harder than what you think. I did really well at my GCSE, but in my first year of A-Levels i got DDEU. Admittly in my 2nd year I worked really hard, didn't leave the house for 3 months and I got decent grades, and that was with 3 subjects. I dropped the U, but i underestimated how much work was required to do well. You don't need to do 6 A-Levels, unless your going to do 6 degrees in each of the subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest