The Student Room Group

Further maths vs Edexcel maths

hi:smile:
I'm in year 11, so I'm taking my GCSEs in a few weeks.
I was just wondering if anyone knows what the overlap between Further Maths and Edexcel maths higher is?
if I just revise from my further maths revision guide, will I be prepared for Edexcel maths?
Reply 1
Original post by ashrawlinson
hi:smile:
I'm in year 11, so I'm taking my GCSEs in a few weeks.
I was just wondering if anyone knows what the overlap between Further Maths and Edexcel maths higher is?
if I just revise from my further maths revision guide, will I be prepared for Edexcel maths?

Which further maths qualification? Do you mean AQA Level 2 further maths?

Whatever the qualification, you must prioritise normal maths since that's the only thing anyone will care about in the future. If you are not already at a comfortable grade 9 then for now stick to single maths textbooks, revision guides, resources etc. There is some overlap and doing FM questions is great for practicing hard single maths questions but you must not only use FM resources to revise single maths.
(edited 5 years ago)
oh okay thank you and yes I do mean the AQA level 2 further maths
Original post by Notnek
Which further maths qualification? Do you mean AQA Level 2 further maths?

Whatever the qualification, you must prioritise normal maths since that's the only thing anyone will care about in the future. If you are not already at a comfortable grade 9 then for now stick to single maths textbooks, revision guides, resources etc. There is some overlap and doing FM questions is great for practicing hard single maths questions but you must not only use FM resources to revise single maths.
Reply 3
I do the same as you further aqa and edexcel gcse. Further questions imo are quite different to gcse maths questions since the gcse ones tend to be wordy and the method to answer the question i.e use cosine rule isn't necessarily explicit. Therefore I would recommend doing them separately since if you learn the topics for further, you can answer the questions with relative ease which isn't necessarily the case for gcse. I would say do past papers for gcse

Quick Reply

Latest